Classic TV Westerns- Discussion (Archive)

There are 113 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 121,855 times. The latest Post () was by ethanedwards.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• my top 10 tv westerns are
    1 the high chaperral
    2 have gun will travel
    3 gunsmoke
    4 the lone ranger
    5 the guns of will sonnett
    6 the range rider
    7 johnny ringo
    8 laredo
    9 the young riders
    10 the texan

• I'm with a lot of you in favoring Wanted Dead or Alive and Have Gun Will Travel and own all the dvds I can find on those two series.
    Here's a few more that are a little less known
    Yancy Derringer
    The Rebel
    The Westerner
    The Adventures of Jim Bowie
    Boots and Saddles
    Johnny Ringo
    26 Men
    Klondike

Klondike only ran less than 10 episodes in 1961 but it starred James Coburn and Ralph Meeker. It was a western set in Alaska and directed by Sam Peckinpah. One week it shifted the same stars into modern day Acapulco as detectives. Weird.

We deal in lead, friend.

• I hear ya, Gorch. Good list you've got there. But what about The Alaskans, another western set up north. It was part of the WB stable of westerns and starred Roger Moore, Dorothy Provine and, Jeff York.
    Another you can add to the list, MacKenzies Raiders with Richard Carlson.
    The Californians
    Cimmaron City
    Boots and Saddles
    Western Marshall which featured Doug Kennedy opening the show with what I believe they call the border draw.

• Has anyone on the board done any business with these folks? It just seems totally unbelievable that one can buy the complete series "High Chaparral" (one of my all-time favorite TV series) for $44.95. They list several other television shows for sale that are not currently for general release in the US.

Even if no other members have bought anything from them, I think I'll risk that $44.95.

De gustibus non est disputandum

• Has anyone on the board done any business with these folks? It just seems totally unbelievable that one can buy the complete series "High Chaparral" (one of my all-time favorite TV series) for $44.95. They list several other television shows for sale that are not currently for general release in the US.

Even if no other members have bought anything from them, I think I'll risk that $44.95.

I tell ya, Stumpy, I've never heard of that site but, they do have some interesting shows you can get. I noticed that The Dakotas was listed as was, Black Saddle, Broken Arrow and others. It would be nice to know who put those all together and what the picture quality is and how did the producers get access to all those shows to put them on DVD.

• I tell ya, Stumpy, I've never heard of that site but, they do have some interesting shows you can get. I noticed that The Dakotas was listed as was, Black Saddle, Broken Arrow and others. It would be nice to know who put those all together and what the picture quality is and how did the producers get access to all those shows to put them on DVD.

Like I said, Jim, I'm gonna go ahead and order "High Chaparral" just to check the true quality and availability of their product. If there's no problems with it, I noticed several other shows on the site I intend to order.

In reading through their FAQs, I noticed they mentioned something called the Berne Act (if I remember correctly) that supposedly considers material not yet in broad public use to be in the public domain.

I strongly suspect that these will be bootleg copies from somewhere in Asia but if I can truly buy some of my all-time favorite TV shows in a reasonably good transfer, I don't really care where they came from.

• I'm having second thoughts about ordering from these folks. The site may be just a gimmick to steal credit card numbers.

I'm sure you're familiar with the old saying "if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is". That may apply in this case.

That's why I wondered if anyone on the board had done business with them - so I could get a prior reading on their legitimacy.

• I'm having second thoughts about ordering from these folks. The site may be just a gimmick to steal credit card numbers.

I'm sure you're familiar with the old saying "if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is". That may apply in this case.

That's why I wondered if anyone on the board had done business with them - so I could get a prior reading on their legitimacy.

stumpy i came across a few sites like that to,i was thinking of ordering the high chaperral to,but i was on the high chaperral web site and as there trying to get the series released on dvd.they have said that the series is not out on dvd and and it's not out in the public domain. if u see any for sale it's a bootleg.i know you can get it from amazon.co.uk for £57.98 and thats the cheapest.the dvd comes from germany but imported to england.i think any tv westerns are not out in public domain and you can order it from site i say they are only copies.

Sounds like your 'second thoughts' will serve you well. Here are a few sites I found when I did a Google search of "ClickDVDShows".

From Answers.com - WikiAnswers

From Complaints Board

From Rip-off Report November 2009

From Rip-off Report August 3, 2010

I would say that unless someone here has successfully ordered from them and was pleased with what they received, I would personally 'pass on the opportunity.'

Mrs. C :angel1:

• Best place I have found to purchase westerns is www.tvdvdtown They have High Chapperal for same price $44.95. As well as Laramie and other series.
    Hope this helps you out.

• For continuity, all discussion
    please post here:-
    Classic TV Westerns- Index/ Discussion

Phantomstranger,

Hope you don't mind me modifying your title,
    and using you thread as the main discussion thread.

Just in the process of adding some more of our favourites.
    If there are any that I have not featured
    and any are your personal favourites
    please let me know on this thread, and I will post them

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

Edited 4 times, last by ethanedwards ().