Bloopers/ Goofs

There are 52 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 62,310 times. The latest Post () was by chester7777.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Like most of us, when you've seen a Duke movie," hundreds" of times, and spotted all the familiar faces, it's also fun, to spot the bloopers!
    The Official JOHN WAYNE Reference Book, has a couple of pages, relating to them.however, it would take too long,, to type them all on this post!!
    But here's some,The films mentioned are:-
    RED RIVER.(The chuck wagon, with and without a hole in the canvas!)
    THE SEARCHERS.(When the rock is moved, the Indian breathes!)
    THE BARBARIAN AND THE GEISHA GIRL(Camera shutters, clicking, in the fight scene!)
    THE ALAMO(What yellow bus?)(and Travis, does move his hand?)
    NORTH TO ALASKA,(I've mentioned the wig, in another post)
    THE COMMANCHEROS(The spinning, and not spinning wheel, and Dukes rifle hands)
    THE MAN WHO SHOT LIBERTY VALANCE(Shirt, continuity)
    THE SONS OF KATIE ELDER(The explosion on the counter)
    THE WAR WAGON(Hat on, hat off)
    TRUE GRIT(Film reverse, on the famous shoot out!)
    RIO LOBO(Chuck,substituting Duke)
    BIG JAKE(Three of them, including, camera shutters, clicking!)
    ROOSTER COGBURN(Dukes coat on one scene, off another!)

There are a few more, in the films above, I've not included!!

This is by no means, the lot, but if you have anymore, it would be
    fun, looking for them

Other threads relating to Bloopers

Duke Film Mistakes

Corrections

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• I have seen that scene where "Travis" moves his hand after being killed. If I too were already dead, i'd hate to have my hand stomped on. ;) But seriously, yep, I had noticed that in The Alamo as well as the big pieces of "wall" blowing away in the breeze.

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

• One of the silliest bloopers was in EL DORADO when Mississippi jumped in front of the charging horses, you can clearly see the frame jump when they cut to get him out and move the dummy in that the horses run over. One of the dummy's arms was in a completely different position from Mississippi.

"...all of this and General Price that baby sister makes it back to Yell county" --Rooster Cogburn, True Grit.

• Another bad one is in HONDO when stunt double Chuck is riding the horse around the ring to break it, and for whatever reason, they let him ride right past the camera for a full face shot, and its clear to anyone with eyes that this guy doesn't look anything like the Duke.

Similarly, in CHISUM, when the Duke fights with the bad guy at the end, they allow way too many close-up shots of the stunt double so that its easily obvious when its the Duke, and when its the double.

"...all of this and General Price that baby sister makes it back to Yell county" --Rooster Cogburn, True Grit.

• Yes, Ringo and General, I remember those too, I can see Chucks expression now!
    That frame in EL DORADO, was also poor.
    Here's some more, from The JW Ref. Book, for anyone that hasn't seen it;-

RED RIVER- Clift knocks, Dukes hat off, cuts to Brennan, then knocks the same hat off
    again!
    THE SEARCHERS- One minute, Martin Pawley, is one-eighth Cherokee,the next, he is
    one-quarter Cherokee!
    THE ALAMO- When Crockett and Travis have a drink in the cantina,a Tennessean, is
    knocked down by the fireplace, in the next scene, he has disappeared!
    When the attack begins, Bowie, fires his rifle, and you can see the wire
    on the stock, causing, the simulated gunfire!
    When the final attack begins, an explosion, causes some men, to jump
    off the wall, on to some visible mattresses!
    As the battle concludes, the Mexicans, jump over a palisade, in the next
    scene, they haven't got there!
    Before Crockett is stabbed by the Mexican lance, he already has the
    blood stain on his shirt, from a previous take!
    When Crockett, throws the torch into the front of some powder kegs, the
    the explosion comes from the rear!
    Great films, but also good fun, to look at these! More later!!

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• Another one that I spotted is in EL DORADO. When Wayne first meets Mississippi and Nelse McLeod, he is standing with a drink, and McLeod is sitting at a table. As they speak, Wayne gestures to Mississippi, and if you look closely, you see that he slopped a good amount of his drink all over the floor. - GSP

• Rio Grande was when Maureen OHara was helping to tip over the wagon after the Indians had taken the Children and a Trroper fired his rifle close to her head and she turned and gave him a nasty look.

• Thanks General, and Harold, hadn't spotted those, but will be looking for them now!
    I still can't see that Yellow bus though!!!
    Here's a couple more from The JW Ref Book;-

THE COMANCHEROS- Duke runs to the wagon, for a better position, and the wheel
    is still,
    In the next scene it is spinning, again
    When fleeing the camp, a film reversal, shows, Duke
    firing his rifle, first left-handed, and then right!
    THE MAN WHO SHOT LIBERTY VALANCE- The days of DUKE double breasted shirts,
    In the bar he's shown in a dark shirt, when he arrives at the
    ranch, he's in a lighter shade, inside his house, it's a dark
    shade, When Woody Strode, carries him out of the house, it's
    the light one again,and when Duke is in the wagon, it's the
    dark one again!
    BIG JAKE- As mentioned, there were three in this film:- When Duke is
    saving the sheep herder, a rider approaches him, almost
    giving him a message, but because of bad editing, the
    scene shows the rider, not near him yet!
    In the fist fight, between Duke and Patrick, continuity, are not
    aware of Patricks shirt tails, in/out/in/out

ANYONE GOT ANY MORE?

Just thought of one similar to yours Harold!
    in THE SANDS OF IWO JIMA, I think it's John Agar, who fires off a rifle, and the"dead" man next to him, jumps a mile!!

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• It's hard to be critical of those early films, considering, the technology they had available, and I would think continuity was un-heard of! Having said that, it seems there's less Bloopers in the early films, than in the films we've already mentioned!
    Here's three to look for:-

BABY FACE-although Duke was only in this film a couple of minutes. Look out in the office scenes, the walk-ons are momentarily standing still, maybe by a door way etc, waiting for action!! Poor editing, catches them, suddenly spurred into motion!

THE BIG TRAIL- This is one of my personal favourite bloops! Just watch Ward Bonds mouth, when he's in dialogue scenes. It seems Ward has been so diligent in learning his
    script, he's learnt everyone elses as well. Look carefully, when someone else in the cast is talking, Wards lips are mouthing their words, with perfect timing!!

THE LAWLESS FRONTIER- The one when Gabby, hides his daughter in a sack and puts her on a mules back, to escape, the amorous bandit. In earlier chase scenes, before the mule is required, they keep passing this same mule, tied up, with sack in place,
    obviously grazing, waiting for his cue, later on!

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• I don't believe Ward Bond was in the Big Trail. I just verfied that he wasn't in the IMDB.com. Which character in the film are you talking about? GSP

• Hi General,
    Ward Bond certainly was in THE BIG TRAIL, he wore a beard,and was Sid Bascom. Refer to IMDB,Ward Bond,Film 253,1930,it shows Ward as uncredited.!THE COMPLETE FILMS OF JOHN WAYNE,THE OFFICIAL JOHN WAYNE REFERENCE BOOK show him in the cast list!

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• I still wonder why everybody believes IMDB is the Holy Bible - it's made up by people who often write their opinions, not their knowledge. Trust the BOOKS! At least they are double-checked.

Ethan, you certainly know your stuff! Having watched even the B-movies lots of times to catch these bloopers.

If interested in bloopers in general, visit http://www.moviemistakes.com/. It's a lot of fun. Here's one from Sands of Iwo Jima I found there:

Factual error: During the scene where Stryker is fighting with Forrest Tucker, an officers staff car pulls up. The car appears to be a 1946 or later Dodge or Plymouth, which was not yet manufactured.

And another thing about Iwo Jima: Wayne gets killed, he lies on his back. Then comes the shot of Forrest Tucker, looking down at him. Tuckers POV: Stryker is now lying on his belly. Somebody must've turned him over, right? (probably the guys from the FIRST flagraising on Surabachi, if you know what I mean :) )

• Thanks itdo,

I never use IMBD, as they've often miss many films! Books are best!
    Thanks for the ones about SANDS.
    However, being a limey,means I wouldn't have spotted the car!!!,
    but when I watch it for the 101th. time!!(Sad people we are, or are we?) I'll look out for Strykers scene.

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• One more blooper I noticed in Sands of Iwo Jima was when the Marines were in the Landing Craft and in the one with John Wayne & Co in it on the front inside you see a message in white that says: "It's Too late To Worry Now" and if you notice that in different takes, the same words are there but the phrase is broken up differently.

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

• Hi Ringo,

That's a good one! The funny thing is,the way we're going, next time we watch the films, we'll be spending more time, looking for the bloopers, then following the film, and story line! Mind you, some of us, have watched them that many times, we could write the story line!!! It just makes watching them, all that more enjoyable.

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• hey...My bad on Ward Bond in Big Trail. I don't have any of those books, so I have to rely on imdb.com. I do have "John Wayne: American" which is a good book, but its not exhaustive in cast lists, etc.

Now I will have to watch Big Trail again to look for Bond. GSP

• I have watched the scene many times from The Searchers and I have never been able to detect the indian breathing. But, my eyesight is not what it used to be, either.

-ncb

My heroes have always been cowboys.

• Hi General,

JOHN WAYNE-THE AMERICAN, cast list is pretty poor, DUKE-the Life and Image of John Wayne, Ronald L.Davis, a great book, Ward's in the cast list on that one too.

General, when you watch it again, Ward is really funny, he's like ,miming the words!

Just thought of two more major production Bloopers! that could have turned out better!

IN HARMS WAY- Who on earth, sanctioned the final battle scene to be models! It spoilt in my opinion, a brilliant film. They would have been better, not to have bothered,even Kirk Douglas, said so at the time, he didn't like the end at all!. The models were obvious, no one scurrying around on the ships etc.

ROOSTER COGBURN- The river raft scene, the long shots, with the women obviously replaced by men with wigs, the positions on the raft, on the studio close ups, not matching with the live shots, it all seemed so wrong! Fun watching though!

We've had some May sun today! it's been rare in England so far!!

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• Hi Nathan,

The whole scene in THE SEARCHERS, is so funny! The rock is lifted off the Indian, and he almost breathes a sigh of relief, as if to say" Thank God, that's been moved"
    Then after Duke, does what a man has to do, Mose Harper goes into an Indian war dance, only to get told off by Duke!

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• The key to watching the "dead" indian breathing is to watch his chest. Hands are folded, and you can see the chest rise quickly and then back down.