Bloopers/ Goofs

There are 52 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 62,293 times. The latest Post () was by chester7777.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Hi Ethan E. thank you. Heh heh, you hit the nail on the head with what you said. That very same thing goes for me on war movis as well--looking for accuracy in their uniforms, weapons, medals and badges etc. :cowboy:

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

• Hi Ringo and itdo,

Many thanks for you replies on this post, it's turning out alot of fun!
    I wonder how many more will surface? it's seem just a handful of films
    at the moment, but the must be lots out there.
    Has anyone, seen any Bloopers, in say The Quiet Man, and all the others?
    Let's get spotting! Ha ha!

Itdo,
    Thanks, that movie mistakes site was brilliant, there's even more in The Alamo,and Big Jake, I've never noticed

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• According to the documentary on the Quiet Man, something funny at the beginning is explainable. If you remember the opening scene when the train arrives and stops at the station, you see the door open, and Wayne gets out, and then you see him take an apple out of his pocket and point it to someone inside the train. That was in response to a scene that was cut from the film where they show Wayne talking to a boy on the train, and the boy gave him an apple. Unfortunately, there were many scenes in the Quiet man that were cut for the sake of shortening the film.

"...all of this and General Price that baby sister makes it back to Yell county" --Rooster Cogburn, True Grit.

• Hi General, thanks,

I read about that scene, being cut, amongst others, was the scene, when Ward Bond approached Barry Fitzgerald, in his carriage,with Duke, and said he wanted a word with him. The scene that followed, was cut, it was about his gambling debts!
    The famous scene the wedding night, in the bedroom, was banned in Ohio, for being, impetuous!.
    John Ford was told by, Herbert J.Yates to shorten the film by 9 minutes.Ford, not wanting to cut anything, instaed chopped, the 9 minutes off the end, while he was watching the preview!!! Ford got his way!

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• THE SEARCHERS- It's hard to find anything in this, the great film!
    However here's a rare one, for my friends,who have supported this post, itdo, Ringo, General, Nathan and Harold.
    In the opening scene, a Navajo blanket is seen right beside Debbie, in a later shot, it's moved to a hitching post, in front of the house, then later on, it's gone altogether!!

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• I think the hitching post at the beginning of the Searchers is fine I checked this and there does not seem to be an error.

When Pawley pulls his knife on the Duke it switches hands between cuts but in some versions you cannot see this.

Duke calling Pawley a 1/4 cherekee after the viewers finding out he is 1/8 is not a mistake it is simply illustrating Ethans ignorance of ethinic minorities.

Theres a good mistake in the Alamo(Don't tell Roland) when Duke is informed near the end to guard the north wall he accidently walks on the head of a dead texican.

At the end of Katie Elder Duke fires too many bullets without reloading.

When he is dragged into the water in the same movie by his brothers his son John Ethan can vaguely be heard to scream in the background.

There is a giant mistake in the undefeated in the fact that it was ever made!!

:agent:

Regards
    Robbie

• Hi Robbie,

Here's a good one for you!
    In SHE WEARS A YELLOW RIBBON, THE narrator says Custer is dead!
    As we know he died on June 25th. 1876.
    On Dukes calender, which he's constantly marking,
    the date is March 6th 1876!!

The one in THE SEARCHERS is also quoted in -Analysis of The Searchers in William Luhr and Peter Lehman , AUTHORSHIP AND NARRATIVE IN THE CINEMA (New York.1977)

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• How about just a couple more Production Bloopers!!

TYCOON- Bad Film, even worse special effects,how Duke turned from a normal bloke, into a crazy man, no one will ever know!
    It's probably because he got hit on top of the head with the crane!
    The model train and bridge scene was awful, and would have been better left out, the dummy on the centre span(Duke), his arm doesn't move etc.

HELLFIGHTERS- When Duke is in his office, they have a backdrop of the window, and the highway beyond!! It is so dreadful, as a model treadmill, all the cars go past the window at the same speed! A red station waggon goes past the window, 15-17 times!!
    Vera Miles, drives out the airport, and reverses, without braking, and changing gear

THE GREEN BERETS- Duke could have done without this, but the Sun really does set, over the wrong ocean!!!

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• If something goes wrong in a scene and stays in because it adds some reality, I wouldn't call it a blooper. Directors such as Ford and Hawks often staged a scene in which only some of the actors would have their lines, and the others would have to react and improvise. That gives a scene a freshness. If a trooper shoots a rifle and distracts Maureen O'Hara, for instance. If Wayne wanted the finale of the Green Berets with a dramatic sundown, I'm sure he knew it was geographically false. But here's one you'll enjoy - as a mistake. Spoilers ahead! Once you've read this, you'll always be looking at this scene differently.

You've been warned...!

Still here...?

OK. This is from Hatari!

In the very first rhino scene, behind the windshields of Pocket's car, you'll spot DALLAS in one single shot! Although she isn't even in the film yet - obviously some stock footage they used because it fit just right into the cutting of this particular scene. And that's what I mean: I'm sure they noticed that when they put it together. But because the scene is edited just right this way, and that shot is really short, they must've said: Nobody's ever going to notice. They didn't know about freeze-frame and VCR back then.

• Good one itdo,

I agree, some of the Bloopers, were put in intenionally by the companies,
    especially at the end of EL DORADO, when Duke and Mitch, are walking down the street, with the crutches, under the wrong arms, limping on the wrong legs!
    They even joke about it!
    However, I can't seriously believe, they put awful models and special affects in on purpose! Some of the bloopers, are also, a case of poor editing, so much so, these days, if a film, gets a lot of stick, for one, they eradicate it on the master, for when it's re-issued.
    That site, you related to me," movie mistakes",mentions the Indiana Jones film, that was pulled, to be re-mastered, when the Cobra, ,was obviously, behind a saftey glass!

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• There is a nonsense rumour going around that an extra in the wizard of oz killed himself and he can be seen doing so in the movie I think it is when Dorothy meets the Tin Man. In actual fact however what is happening in the background is that a bird has spread its wings, I find that very ammusing that anybody would mistake that for somebody killing themself.

Regards
    Robbie

• Good discussion here regarding what is a TRUE blooper. I often think of The Searchers, and the scene where Pat Wayne charges into the house to deliver the message from Col. Greenhill. According to Pat's own testimony, the entire scene could be consider by some to be a "blooper" because no one was saying their lines, and everyone was interrupting him when he was trying to say his. All of those interruptions by Ward Bond and Duke Wayne were NOT in the script--but it was great stuff and by no means a blooper. I guess for me, I would have a high standard to declare something a "blooper," for instance, clear factual errors, like the Custer death/Duke Calendar, and the terrible editing of the dummy/Mississippi scene in El Dorado, and the dead Indian breathing in The Searchers.

GSP

"...all of this and General Price that baby sister makes it back to Yell county" --Rooster Cogburn, True Grit.

• This was kind of a fun thread to read! I noticed one blooper in El Dorado that most don't catch. When Mitchum goes to the saloon to get his nightly bottle. When he leaves the saloon, the hat brim is curled up. Duke stops him in front of the jail and berates him and Mitchum says they laughed at him. The next scene is from behind Mitchum as he walks toward the jail, and the brim is curled down. Then the next scene is from in front of Mitchum as he enters the jail and the brim is curled up again!

I don't mind the bloopers, as they show that everyone is fallable to some degree, and no one is perfect. I really don't think they take away from the film at all. El Dorado is still a great film!
    Colorado Bob

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them" It may be time worn, but it's the best life-creed I know.

• hi all

dont know if this could be classed as a blooper but when you watch Operation Pacific when they are showing the torpedos running you can tell that they are being pulled with a wire as you can see it clearly attached to the front of the torpedo along this line you can also tell that this scene was shot in a tank as you can see the shadows on the back wall of the tank.

also in operation pacific duke gets hurt in the right shoulder when he goes and lies down he lays on this shoulder.

hooroo smokey

" its not all black and white, but different shades of grey"

• Hi every one. Just watched Rio Grande again this weekend. I Have a little continuity blooper to add to list.

Through the early part of movie the Duke's suspenders show a hole On right side chest . This is the result of the arrow wound he receives at the end of the rescue mission. Obviously filmed out of sequence.

PS Love reading all the great info and comments from other members.

Durham Cowboy

• Hi everyone,
    It's great to read the new additions to this thread,
    and thanks to Arthur, who spotted a big one
    on The Commancheros.
    Thanks Arthur,Bob, smokey, and Durham cowboy.
    As Bob says, it doesn't spoil the film at all,
    I think it makes them all that more interesting to watch!

Best Wishes,
    Keith

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• Hi,
    There is one mention in the audio commentary to the Stagecoach about the shadow of the camera which is clearly seen during crossing the river.
    Regards,
    Senta :rolleyes:

• There is a nice little blooper in the Searchers, when Duke is scalping Scar at the end of the movie, he is also outside the teepee on his horse shooting.

Rio Bravo has the famous bullet hole appearing and disappearing beside Rick Nelson during the final shootout.

One of my favourite bloopers is in the Alamo, during the final battle Duke accidentally stands on the head of a dead Alamo defender.

GSP,

I have seen the Quiet man many times, but I do not remember Duke with an apple getting of the train, can you enlighten me?

Robbie

Regards
    Robbie

• Hi Robbie,

Hey this one should be in your topic,
    the scene were he was given the apple on the train
    was edited out!!

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England