Pinned Duke's Missing And Rare Movies

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Your view is limited. Please register to the JWMB to access all features.

There are 294 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by dukefan1.

• Interesting discussion here, and very informative.

Lenny, hope you don't let past disagreements with others (that don't directly involve you) color your view of a whole community or individuals here. I hope to see you around here more often.

As they say, there is always two sides to a stories and there was pettiness on both sides to some degree or another. I don't hold hard feels, and have moved on, and I hope everyone here and elsewhere do the same.

This is not the place to dig this back up, as this is going WAY off topic. So I'll end this here.

Life is short. Not everyone will see everything on the same level, but we can coexist in a respectful manner for the benefit of both communities.

Cheers.

Sent from my Galaxy S III using Forum Runner
      Kevin - Moderator/Administrator
      jwayne.com

This is why I do not post so much on this board anymore. Far too much "Off topic" JUNK to read through before you get to anything interesting or to the point.

MODERATORS Can't you filter out or at least move this so that the thread reamins about what it says it is and nothing else? PLEASE!

[LEFT][SIZE=1][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/SIZE][/LEFT]
      [B][B]Be who you are & say what you feel Because those who mind dont matter & those who matter dont mind[/B][/B]

• Re: Duke's Missing And Rare Movies

Awhile back someone said that the marx bros. fan club was able to get the movie they wanted. If that was true, ( Soup to nuts ) then where
      there's a will, there's a way. I doubt that there are more of those fans then there are J.W. fans! Maybe we should talk to someone from their
      fan base and see how they did it? Maybe they were a little lucky. Maybe they had reasonable people to work with!
    • Elly;130412 wrote:

This is why I do not post so much on this board anymore. Far too much "Off topic" JUNK to read through before you get to anything interesting or to the point.

MODERATORS Can't you filter out or at least move this so that the thread reamins about what it says it is and nothing else? PLEASE!

Elly, you just contributed to the clutter, or as you say "JUNK" with this post. ;)

As moderators we can always do a better job corralling the discussions better. But members play a roll in this also. We do moderate a good bit and move posted to other threads to help keep the discussions flowing much of this is not seen.

We'll do our best to double down and tighten down the threads so that we stay on topic more. I agree it does make for a better experience when there isn't allot of excessive chit chat that is unrelated to the thread.

Now back on topic.

Thanks for the input,

Sent from my Galaxy S III using Forum Runner
      Kevin - Moderator/Administrator
      jwayne.com

I would like to submit yet another previously unknown film featuring a young John Wayne. A still recently surfaced courtesy of (my nemesis) Richard Roberts, from the 1927 Educational/Mermaid Films production of "Seeing Stars." Standing in the back of the group is a tall lanky familiar looking kid - none other than John Wayne. I will try to post a blow up of the still here, but I have never been to good at it, so no guarantees. Here goes!
      Seeing Stars 02..jpg
      "I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them" It may be time worn, but it's the best life-creed I know.

Wow, I have just read through this entire thread. I have to wonder why anyone (person or organization) would want to hold back any copies of any of John Wayne film for any reason. I simply cannot understand why every effort wouldn't be made to get it out to the public. Reading earlier threads about money, surely there would be support to get this done for those films that may be able to be restored. I forget the name right off the bat, but I have recently seen millions raised by fans to make a movie. Maybe that same thing can be done for a John Wayne film.

Hi Bob

Thanks for this I will have to try to get a copy and get a free more stills to post here.

[LEFT][SIZE=1][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/SIZE][/LEFT]
      [B][B]Be who you are & say what you feel Because those who mind dont matter & those who matter dont mind[/B][/B]

lvellek wrote:

I doubt we talked to the same individual since I know this guy in real life and have known him for many years. He doesn't answer the phone or even talk to outsiders about things like this. I met him when I worked in DC years ago and we used to go sailing together. But anyway, he actually went down and looked at the film the last time we talked and he said it would be hard to get a decent copy made from the master because of it's condition. And they will NOT make you a copy to take out of the LOC, the copy they make is only for viewing and taking notes at the LOC. You can't bring in any recording equipment and to say you're making a documentary they have to have documentation to that effect, copyright releases, commitment papers from a production company for the documentary. He said they've had people try to scam them before and they always get denied access.

There is a chance that it isn't the same guy that I always speak to when I'm at the LOC. Since you have known him for many years and in real life (what I live in also!) maybe it is a different person. I have lived in the DC area for over 50 years (my whole life) and have used the LOC for at least half of it and know the people/rules there very well. If you read my post throughly it says that I have spoken to a few people about doing a documentary on John Wayne's lost films and using that angle to finally see the film. That is not a SCAM and I was not implying a scam to see the film. I know the LOC rules and policies very well and have been working with them to try and get this film out so not only myself but all the fans get to see it. I've been at this for a few years now and scamming is not one of the ways that I use to get things done.

The post was edited 1 time, last by The Duke Is The Man ().

wtrayah wrote:

Awhile back someone said that the marx bros. fan club was able to get the movie they wanted. If that was true, ( Soup to nuts ) then where
      there's a will, there's a way. I doubt that there are more of those fans then there are J.W. fans! Maybe we should talk to someone from their
      fan base and see how they did it? Maybe they were a little lucky. Maybe they had reasonable people to work with!

That was I that posted the info. It was actually the Three Stooges first feature film "Soup To Nuts" that was brought back to life after disappearing for years by the Three Stooges fan club. The difference is the studios involved. For some reason NBC Universal doesn't want Adventure's End or the other three John Wayne did between 1936-1937 for them to see the light of day. Not sure if it's the product, a deal made years ago by Trem Carr, Arthur Lubin or even John Wayne for them to just disappear and not reappear. I have spoken to the fan club and am trying to undo whatever deal was made so that we can see Adventure's End again. I own the other three (I Cover The War, Conflict & California Straight Ahead) and would like for all to own Adventure's End!

Trekwayne wrote:

Wow, I have just read through this entire thread. I have to wonder why anyone (person or organization) would want to hold back any copies of any of John Wayne film for any reason. I simply cannot understand why every effort wouldn't be made to get it out to the public. Reading earlier threads about money, surely there would be support to get this done for those films that may be able to be restored. I forget the name right off the bat, but I have recently seen millions raised by fans to make a movie. Maybe that same thing can be done for a John Wayne film.

You are probably thinking about the movie being made of the TV show "Veronica Mars" that raised millions using Kickstarter. Kickstarter is one avenue that I have thought about using, along with all the cowpokes here talking about they haven't had a good fundraiser in a while. I really don't think the money being raised is as much of an issue at this point, it's getting NBC Universal who owns the copyright, to allow it to be restored and released. I have already brought this up to them and it's fallen on deaf ears most of the time. I have received a few emails back with some glitter of hope attached, but not a resounding go ahead with our blessing. A little while back (Elly I believe) posted that we all should flood NBC Universal and Roni Lubliner with emails concerning this. What everybody should do is flood them with emails asking if they would consider helping with the release of Adventure's End if we raised the money for it to be restored, no matter what the condition of the master at LOC!

The Duke Is The Man wrote:

You are probably thinking about the movie being made of the TV show "Veronica Mars" that raised millions using Kickstarter. Kickstarter is one avenue that I have thought about using, along with all the cowpokes here talking about they haven't had a good fundraiser in a while. I really don't think the money being raised is as much of an issue at this point, it's getting NBC Universal who owns the copyright, to allow it to be restored and released. I have already brought this up to them and it's fallen on deaf ears most of the time. I have received a few emails back with some glitter of hope attached, but not a resounding go ahead with our blessing. A little while back (Elly I believe) posted that we all should flood NBC Universal and Roni Lubliner with emails concerning this. What everybody should do is flood them with emails asking if they would consider helping with the release of Adventure's End if we raised the money for it to be restored, no matter what the condition of the master at LOC!

Yes, Kickstarter, that's it. I have no idea of how much it would cost to remaster a film, but if a 'Kickstarter' could offset costs and they would make money selling the discs, it seems like a 'no brainer' to me. Why wouldn't they. And even as you say, no matter what the condition of the master is.