Duke's Missing And Rare Movies

There are 297 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 207,611 times. The latest Post () was by Bravo.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• I am also waiting for my copy of the filmography you mentioned... the table of contents alone has me drooling waiting to see the back sections of the book. I don't think anything will change but I do want a good listing by release date and revenue numbers.

Table of Contents
    Acknowledgments..................................................................v
    Introduction...........................................................................1
    The Films of John Wayne........................................................7
    Appendix A....The Films in Order of Release.......................417
    Appendix B....Unrealized Films with John Wayne as Star....419
    Appendix C....The Biggest Box Office Hits..........................423
    Appendix D....The Films Most Popular on Television...........425
    Bibliography.......................................................................427
    Index..................................................................................435

• I am awaiting a copy of the Fred landesman filmography but I beleive that he does not list the Ham hamilton films but does list the other four?

Elly,
    In checking our Fred Landesman filmography,
    he does list;
    Strong Boy 1929
    Lonestar Ranger 1930
    Sweetheart of Sigma Chi 1933 (vs 1931)

At least in the alphabetical listing of titles with full details, and in Appendix A (The Films in Order of Release), we didn't find Ham Hamilton's comedies or Women of All Nations. He may make mention of those somewhere, but I haven't encountered that yet (and neither entry is in the index, either).

Let the controversy continue! :jump:

Chester :newyear:

• Thanks Chester

I have had this book on order for five months! Amazon keeps pushing bck the delivery date!

So given that the Landesman book mentions 3 of the "Famous Five" or should I say Infamous?

What#s a girl to do? I thought about this and whilst I appreciate that some folks are only interested in movies I am in all of JW work. So I have decided to cal it a "Body of work" and include all movies, (including those where JW is producer) TV, radio and audio. I shall include the five above with notes about the few referecnes i have found.

Then I can sort it alphabetically or by year or by genre.

Making the list is of course the easy part, finding copies of everything on the list has so far taken me the best part of 20 years and there are still big gaps. But it's great fun looking

Elly :laugh:

Be who you are & say what you feel Because those who mind dont matter & those who matter dont mind

• I found the book cheaper on Barnes and Noble... $31.96 And I'm suppose to get it in a couple days. I basically want it for the release order but my list won't change. I spent over an hour last night and went through every book I have that has Duke's filmography in it... some of them don't even have the last dozen or so movies since they came out before Duke passed but even those never mentioned the 5 in question. AFI, NYTimes, UCLA Archive, about 6 books with a filmography, Official JW Site are all the places I checked. If they are listed in this book I'm waiting for it will be the first that lists them.

There are a handful of movies that will never be complete, the UCLA archives show which ones are for instance missing reels and such. Some are in very poor condition. If you ever give up on Amazon try B&N, I know they have it.

• hello Everyone

Can I suggest we try to have a "sticky" list of the truly lost or very rare JW films please?

I am talking about the 15 to 20 generally acknowledged as in these categories mostly very early.

I myself have done quite a bit of research on the films and I have notes and references to where it came from.

Always very happy to share with others and make life a bit easier for folks looking for things.

thank you

Elly

Be who you are & say what you feel Because those who mind dont matter & those who matter dont mind

• Hi Elly,
    Your wish is our command!
    We already have this thread and discussion,
    and you've already taken part in it.
    However I have now made it 'sticky'
    This topic, has also always been of interest to me.
    Hope this helps?

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• Hey guys, I'm new to your forum but I have enjoyed John Wayne Films for over 40 years. I've collected his films and admired his attitude and American Spirit and wish more people had it. It's good to see fans and admirers keeping his memory alive. If anyone is looking for some of his Old and Rare films from the late 20's to late 20's, I have them all on DVD. Except the ones that are lost forever.

• Keith, if your interested in Old, Rare Films of John Wayne, I have all of the ones that are not lost forever on DVD. Just thought I would let you know. Thanks, Ron!

• Hi All

I noticed as seller on ebay from Australia selling some rare John Wayne movies on DVD.

I forgot to put it on my waych list so I will wait until he surfaces again.

This seller is selling videos at present. If Elly is reading he has a couple of the titles you were after. Men without Women and Bardelays the Magnificent.

Mike

http://search.ebay.co.uk/_W0QQsassZhotshotvideo618

Another seller selling DVDs

http://search.ebay.co.uk/_W0QQsassZcaseykaye

• Hi Mike

thanks for the tip.

I have both a region free video player and a region free DVD player so no problem for me where in the world things come from.

Will go and check it out now.

Elly

• Hi Keith

I am so impressed at the speed of response, almost before I asked this time.

Please can the LIST be the first thing on the sticky or be sticky on its own with a short comment next to each title as to why it is unavailable eg considered to be "Lost" or only know print in Library of congress etc.

I am very happy to let you have my research notes and references etc.

Thanks again

the Gerodie Pain:teeth_smile:

Elly

• Hey guys, I'm new to your forum but I have enjoyed John Wayne Films for over 40 years. I've collected his films and admired his attitude and American Spirit and wish more people had it. It's good to see fans and admirers keeping his memory alive. If anyone is looking for some of his Old and Rare films from the late 20's to late 20's, I have them all on DVD. Except the ones that are lost forever.

Hi and a warm welcome to you from a recent newbie

I also have been a long time fan and I am very interested in the rare or lost films.

this is my "wanted" list and I suspect that most JW fans have a similar list! I have all of the other films and tons of TV stuff on DVD. I would be very interested in trading with you.

PLEASE, make my year and tell me you have at least one of them 20+ years I have been looking:teeth_smile:

AND today is my darling grand daughters first birthday and she is already a JW fan so she will also get to watch!!

Elly

1937 Adventure’s End
    1927 Annie Laurie
    1930 Cheer up and Smile
    1931 Deceiver, the
    1946 Desert Command (Feature film version of Three Musketeers Serial from 1934)
    1929 Forward Pass
    1931 Girls Demand Excitement
    1932 Hollywood Handicap, the
    1930 Lone Star Ranger, the
    1940 Meet the stars Cowboy Jubilee
    1941 Meet the stars number 8 aka Stars Past and Present
    1952 Miracle in Motion
    1936 Oregon Trail, the
    1932 Running Hollywood
    1929 Speakeasy
    1929 Strong Boy
    1933 Sweetheart of Sigma Chi
    1932 That’s my Boy
    1931 Three Girls Lost
    1932 Voice of Hollywood no 13, The
    1929 Words and Music

• Hi Ellie

As I was one of the original contributers to ths topic in 2005 - was it really that long ago- I would certainly be interested in seeing your research notes.

Fred Landesman's work will be worth the wait it is very good and as an authority he worked in very close collaboration with Tim Lilley even visiting him in Akron from California and used Tim's notes from his Big Trail series.

Hope to hear from you soon

Best Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• Thanks Arthur,
    and yes Elly, we would love to see your list.

In answer to your PM, this thread is 'sticky'
    but cannot be stuck to the top of the list,
    but will probably be there anyway, as each post is made.

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• Hi Ron,

Hope you don't mind, we almost have two parallel threads going
    on, about basically the same topic!
    I have, therefore, merged your thread into the original one!

Thanks

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• The Missing or Rare Movies, still seems to centre around this list,
    so just to refresh our memories again,here it is:-

Please make any comments, and if these movies are available,
    let us know, and we can then narrow the list down,
    to what's really 'missing'

1926.BARDLEYS THE MAGNIFICENT ****No Complete print known to exist. Approx 30 minutes survives.
    1927. ANNIE LAURIE- (MGM)***Restored print in Library of Congress

1927. THE DROP KICK - (First National) Uncredited but visibly seen.
    1927. THE GREAT K&A TRAIN ROBBERY- (Fox)
    1928. MOTHER MACHREE- (Fox)***No complete print known to exist (two reels missing)
    1928. FOUR SONS- (Fox)***No Print Known considered LOST
    1928. HANGMAN'S HOUSE -(Fox) Uncredited, but visibly seen.
    1928. HAM HAMILTONS COMEDIES- (Fox)***No Print Known considered LOST
    1928. NOAH'S ARK- (Warner Brothers/First National)
    1929. STRONG BOY- (Fox)***No Print Known considered LOST
    1929. SPEAKEASY- (Fox)***No Print Known considered LOST
    1929. THE BLACK WATCH- (Fox)***No Print Known considered LOST
    1929. WORDS AND MUSIC- (Fox) credited as Duke Morrison***No Print Known considered LOST
    1929. THE FORWARD PASS- (First National)***No print known to exist Considered LOST
    1930. THE LONE STAR RANGER- (Fox)***Print in UCLA
    1930. MEN WITHOUT WOMEN-(Fox) credited as Duke Morrison
    1930. BORN RECKLESS- (Fox)
    1930. ROUGH ROMANCE- (Fox) credited as Duke Morrison
    1930. CHEER UP AND SMILE- (Fox) credited as Duke Morrison***Preserved copy in UCLA
    1931. WOMEN OF ALL NATIONS- (Fox)
    1931. THE SWEETHEART OF SIGMA CHI- (Fox)** Print is known to exist
    1931. GIRLS DEMAND EXCITEMENT- (Fox)**** Print in UCLA
    1931. THREE GIRLS LOST- (Fox)*** Print in UCLA
    1931. THE DECEIVER- (Columbia)***** Print is known to exist
    1936. THE OREGON TRAIL*** No known prints exists, considered LOST
    1937. ADVENTURES END- (Universal)***Considered LOST
    1946. DESERT COMMAND (Feature film version of Three Musketeers Serial)

Also from Elly's post:-

1932 Hollywood Handicap, the 20 minute short (survival status unknown)
    1932 Running Hollywood 20 minute short (survival status unknown
    1932 Voice of Hollywood no 13, The 12 minute short (survival status unknown)

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England