Duke's Missing And Rare Movies

There are 297 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 208,337 times. The latest Post () was by Bravo.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Ad venture's End

Theatrical Release 1/1/1937
    Studio Universal Pictures
    Director Arthur Lubin

Starring:John Wayne , Diana Gibson , Moroni Olsen , Montagu Love , more cast
    Directed By: Arthur Lubin
    Run Time: 68 min.
    Genre: Action and Adventure, Drama

In the South Seas, Seaman Duke (John Wayne) boards a whaler, and asks the owner, Capt. Drew (Montague Love) and his daughter Janet (Diana Gibson) to look after the pearls he's gathered. Drew, who's dying, persuades Duke to marry Janet to prevent her from marrying crewman Rand (Moroni Olsen), who's thereafter suspicious of Duke. When the crew learns Duke knows where more pearls are, they want to go after them, but Duke sides with Janet, who's after whales, though he's still opposed by Rand. Eventually, incited by Blackie (Maurice Black), the crew mutinies, forcing Rand and Duke to work together.

Cast
    John Wayne
    Diana Gibson
    Moroni Olsen
    Montagu Love
    Maurice Black
    Paul White
    Cameron Hall
    Patrick J Kelly
    George Cleveland
    James T Mack

Be who you are & say what you feel Because those who mind dont matter & those who matter dont mind

• hello Arthur

I have posted the list now.

elly

Be who you are & say what you feel Because those who mind dont matter & those who matter dont mind

• Hello Keith

I have some newer information just in. So have added it in RED below. These ones

1926.BARDLEYS THE MANIFICENT ****No Complete print known to exist. Approx 30 minutes survives.
    1927. THE DROP KICK - (First National) Uncredited but visibly seen.
    1927. THE GREAT K&A TRAIN ROBBERY- (Fox)
    1928. MOTHER MACHREE- (Fox)***No complete print known to exist (two reels missing)
    1928. FOUR SONS- (Fox)
    1928. HANGMAN'S HOUSE -(Fox) Uncredited, but visibly seen.
    1928. NOAH'S ARK- (Warner Brothers/First National)
    1929. THE BLACK WATCH- (Fox)***No Print Known to exist, considered LOST
    1930. MEN WITHOUT WOMEN-(Fox) credited as Duke Morrison
    1930. BORN RECKLESS- (Fox)
    1930. ROUGH ROMANCE- (Fox) credited as Duke Morrison
    1931. WOMEN OF ALL NATIONS- (Fox)
    1946. DESERT COMMAND (Feature film version of Three Musketeers Serial)

Are definately NOT lost films. I have copies of these in my collection. (or copies of what is left of Bardelys and Mother Machree).

Whilst they were never officially released onto VHS or DVD there are dealers who have copies either from 16mm prints or home video tapes. You even see them on ebay.

I have copies of all of them bought years ago through dealers and the quality ranges from terrible to fair but hey you pay your money as they say.

I checked around a few dealers yesterday and there are still copies of these around - at a PRICE! Suddenly JW items are now being marketed as "Ultra rare" or "Collectors items" and priced accordingly.

And why do you think this Collector is unwilling to share Adventures end with anyone? Have never understood that.

What do you think of taking the above OFF this list and perhaps starting a hard to find list with these on it. Then we will really be closing in on the truly lost or never see in my lifetime films.

So then the list would look like this below with only 6 on the really LOST list. No bad considering how many films are totally lost.

Elly

• Hi

You are quite right the copy of Three girls lost in UCLA is incomplete. I have asked my friend who is a member of AFI (who have just viewed this film and are including it in thier next catalogue) if this was the print that they viewed and what the entry in the catalogue will say.

Will let you know when i have a reply.

Elly

• Thanks Elly for all that,

so those members interested,
    Elly's list above represents,
    probably the most definitive, we have

Hello Keith

Please see the post in reply to EJ. UCLA copy of three girls lost is incomplete so we should update the list to reflect that please.

I KNEW that if I poked the bees nest we would get stung:teeth_smile:

Just kidding its great to get this discussion going (again) and perhaps once we know what is in these local archives we can lobby to get them released to the fans? :hyper:

Elly

• Hi Elly,

Thanks so much for all the work, below is the amended list
    taking into account, your comments and research:-

LOST

1928. MOTHER MACHREE- (Fox)***No complete print known to exist (two reels missing)
    1928. FOUR SONS- (Fox)***No Print Known considered LOST
    1926. BARDLEYS THE MAGNIFICENT ****No Complete print known to exist. Approx 30 minutes survives.
    1928. HAM HAMILTONS COMEDIES- (Fox)***No Print Known to exist considered LOST
    1929. STRONG BOY- (Fox)***No Print Known to exist, considered LOST (There may be a print of this in Australia ref: http://www.silentera.com)
    1929. SPEAKEASY- (Fox)***No Print Known to exist, considered LOST
    1929. THE BLACK WATCH- (Fox)***No Print Known considered LOST
    1929. WORDS AND MUSIC- (Fox) credited as Duke Morrison***No Print Known considered LOST
    1929. THE FORWARD PASS- (First National)***No print known to exist, considered LOST
    1936. THE OREGON TRAIL*** No known prints exists, considered LOST

ARCHIVES

1927. ANNIE LAURIE- (MGM)***The only known print is a restored print in Library of Congress
    1930. THE LONE STAR RANGER- (Fox)***The only known print is in UCLA
    1930. CHEER UP AND SMILE- (Fox) credited as Duke Morrison***The only known print is a preserved copy in UCLA
    1931. THE SWEETHEART OF SIGMA CHI- (Fox)*** Print is known to exist
    1931. GIRLS DEMAND EXCITEMENT- (Fox)**** The only known print is in UCLA (just been viewed by AFI and will be included in their next catalogue)
    1931. THREE GIRLS LOST- (Fox)***The only known print is a Print in UCLA (just been viewed by AFI and will be included in their next catalogue)However, it is incomplete
    1931. THE DECEIVER- (Columbia)***Print is known to exist
    1937. ADVENTURES END- (Universal)***Considered LOST (AFI know of a print in a private collection in Canada - however the collector will not even loan it to them)
    1941. Meets The Stars #8 Stars Past and Present 9 minute short.*** The only known print is in UCLA

AWAITING STATUS CONFIRMATION

1927. THE DROP KICK - (First National) Uncredited but visibly seen.***(survival status unknown)
    1927. THE GREAT K&A TRAIN ROBBERY- (Fox)***(survival status unknown)
    1928. HANGMAN'S HOUSE -(Fox) Uncredited, but visibly seen.***(survival status unknown)
    1928. NOAH'S ARK- (Warner Brothers/First National)***(survival status unknown)
    1930. MEN WITHOUT WOMEN-(Fox) credited as Duke Morrison***(survival status unknown)
    1930. BORN RECKLESS- (Fox)***(survival status unknown)
    1930. ROUGH ROMANCE- (Fox) credited as Duke Morrison***(survival status unknown)
    1931. WOMEN OF ALL NATIONS- (Fox)***(survival status unknown)
    1932 Hollywood Handicap, the 20 minute short***(survival status unknown)

Below are movies which are not mentioned in your list,
    I have included them as Status Unknown!
    Have you any idea as to their status, I can then re-edit
    if need be!

1927. THE DROP KICK
    1927. THE GREAT K&A TRAIN ROBBERY
    1928. HANGMAN'S HOUSE
    1928. NOAH'S ARK
    1930. MEN WITHOUT WOMEN
    1930. BORN RECKLESS
    1930. ROUGH ROMANCE
    1931. WOMEN OF ALL NATIONS

Elly, please also check the 'Lost' list.
    as there are a couple in there, not in your recent list,
    but were included initially.

Just check through, and let me know.
    Speak to you soon!, No brandies though, ha ha!

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• Hi Keith

No brandy! need a clear head to try to sort this lot out!

re these films

1927. THE DROP KICK
    1927. THE GREAT K&A TRAIN ROBBERY
    1928. HANGMAN'S HOUSE
    1928. NOAH'S ARK
    1930. MEN WITHOUT WOMEN
    1930. BORN RECKLESS
    1930. ROUGH ROMANCE
    1931. WOMEN OF ALL NATIONS

I have a copy of all of these in my collection. They were never offically released onto VHS or DVD BUT, there are dealers who have copies from 16mm prints or such like. Which is where I got my copies from. The same is true for the following:

1928. MOTHER MACHREE- (Fox)
    1928. FOUR SONS- (Fox)
    1926. BARDLEYS THE MAGNIFICENT
    1929. THE BLACK WATCH- (Fox)

When I managed to get a copy, albeit a "Dealer" copy I never looked into where or if an "official" print might be. However as we know there are copies even 16mm ones out there then we cannot really say they are lost in the true sense, can we? I think its only true to say LOST if there are no dealer copies, no prints in archives and the AFI have no knowledge of any print in existence.

Of course, there is always the chance that a print might turn up (as in the case of Annie Laurie, officially on the lost list for decades, then the film was rediscovered in 1987 when a private collector donated a print to the Oregon Historical Society who then turned it over to a national archive for preservation.)

" Elly, please also check the 'Lost' list. as there are a couple in there, not in your recent list, but were included initially." :confused: Not sure what you mean still hung over I guess! But if you explain it slowly and simply then I will be glad to do it.

Oh and by the way no poetry today?

Elly

• Hi EJ,

Thanks for your post,
    and your update.
    Elly and I just updating the list,
    and when we have, we'll post it,
    confirming the status of all those early movies

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• Thanks to Elly's
    monumental efforts,
    we have now posted the definitive list.
    I have placed it in it's own closed thread,
    so that it remains, a ' sticky.
    Any comments, can still be made on this thread.

Duke's Missing And Rare Movies- The Definitive List

Duke's Missing and Rare Movies- The Definitive list

1926. BROWN OF HARVARD - (MGM) ***Available as a Movie
    1926. BARDELEYS THE MAGNIFICENT- (MGM)***No complete print known to exist. Approx 30 minutes survives.
    1927. ANNIE LAURIE- (MGM)***Restored print in Library of Congress
    1927. THE DROP KICK - (First National) ***Available as a Movie
    1927. THE GREAT K&A TRAIN ROBBERY- (Fox)***Available as a Movie
    1928. FOUR SONS- (Fox)***Available as a Movie
    1928. HANGMAN'S HOUSE -(Fox) ***Available as a Movie
    1928. HAM HAMILTONS COMEDIES- (Fox)***Survival status unknown
    1928. NOAH'S ARK- (Warner Brothers/First National)***Available as a Movie
    1929. STRONG BOY- (Fox)***No print known to exist Considered LOST (There may be a print of this in Australia ref: http://www.silentera.com)
    1929. SPEAKEASY- (Fox)***No print known to exist Considered LOST
    1929. THE BLACK WATCH- (Fox)***Available as a Movie
    1929. WORDS AND MUSIC- (Fox) ***No print known to exist Considered LOST
    1929. SALUTE- (Fox)***Available as a Movie
    1929. THE FORWARD PASS- (First National)***No print known to exist Considered LOST
    1930. THE LONE STAR RANGER- (Fox)***Print in UCLA
    1930. MEN WITHOUT WOMEN-(Fox) ***Available as a Movie
    1930. BORN RECKLESS- (Fox)***Available as a Movie
    1930. ROUGH ROMANCE- (Fox)***Available as a Movie
    1930. CHEER UP AND SMILE- (Fox) ***Preserved copy in UCLA
    1930. THE BIG TRAIL- (Fox) .***Available as a Movie
    1931. WOMEN OF ALL NATIONS- (Fox)***Survival status unknown
    1931. THE SWEETHEART OF SIGMA CHI- (Fox)***Print is known to exist further research required to establish where
    1931. GIRLS DEMAND EXCITEMENT- (Fox)Print in UCLA (just been viewed by AFI and will be included in their next catalogue)
    1931. THREE GIRLS LOST- (Fox)***Incomplete print in UCLA (one reel missing) (just been viewed by AFI and will be included in their next catalogue)
    1931. MEN ARE LIKE THAT- (Columbia).***Available as a Movie
    1931. MAKER OF MEN- (Columbia).***Available as a Movie
    1931. THE DECEIVER- (Columbia)***Print is known to exist
    1932. THAT'S MY BOY (Columbia)***Print is known to exist further research required to establish where
    1936. THE OREGON TRAIL- (Republic)***No print known to exist Considered LOST
    1937. ADVENTURES END- (Universal)***Considered LOST However AFI know of a print in a private collection in Canada

Also from Elly's post:-

1932 Hollywood Handicap, the 20 minute short***Survival status unknown
    1932 Running Hollywood 20 minute short***Survival status unknown
    1932 Voice of Hollywood no 13, The 12 minute short***Survival status unknown

My special thanks to Elly, for making this list possible,
    and for the considerable amount of time, she has spent on
    it's compilation

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• Hello Ron

I believe I have asked you before if you could please post a list of what you have and details of prices, delivery etc.

Thanks Elly

• Hi everyone

1927 Drop kick - VHS - 2000 Nostalgia family video, 69 minutes (tinted!) $14.99

1926 Brown of Harvard - VHS 1996 Critics choice video masterpeice collection, 85 minutes B&W, silent $19.99

As far as I remember from those ancient times when I last watched these on video the quality was watchable.

Both available from Life is a movie inc. www.lifeisamovie.com

I can personally recommend this company for providing fair pricing, good quality products, excellent service and fast delivery.

I am sure that a search of thier website or an email to Christine Bayly will turn up other JW items.

Elly

• For those that are interested, I have most all of John's old rare films on DVD. My email address is [email protected] All of the films come with a collectors case and great orginal art work on the case and the DVD. I sell them in the states for $13.95 and have over 400 customers on ebay with out one negative comment. If you want one of his old rare films, send me an email and we can see what you need. Thanks, Ron