Duke's Missing And Rare Movies

There are 297 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 207,312 times. The latest Post () was by Bravo.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Here is the correspondence i have received so far but am still working on it!

-----Original Message-----
    Sent: 06 January 2010 02:58
    To: [email protected]; [email protected]
    Subject: Selected records from AFI Catalog
    These records were extracted from American Film Institute Catalog, produced by Chadwyck-Healey (from ProQuest LLC) in collaboration with the American Film Institute.
    Data copyright © 2003-2009 American Film Institute.
    Data arrangement and software copyright © 2009 ProQuest LLC. All rights reserved.

----------------------------------------------
    Title: Women of All Nations (1931)
    Fox Film Corp. Distribution Co. Fox Film Corp. Release 31 May 1931 New York opening: week of 29 May 1931 Production mid-Feb--late Mar 1931 [© Fox Film Corp. 15 May 1931; LP2246; ] 71-72min.; 8 reels; 6,441ft.; Black & White Sound: Western Electric System
    Source: Based on characters originally created by Laurence Stallings and Maxwell Anderson.
    Series: Flagg and Quirt
    Production Credits: Presenter: Wm. Fox; [Director: Raoul Walsh]; [Story, Continuity and] Dialogue: Barry Conners; Photography: Lucien Andriot; Art Director: David Hall; [Editor: Jack Dennis]; Music score: Carli Elinor; Sound Recording: George Leverett; Production Manager: Archie Buchanan; [Technical work: Captain Bradley]; [Double: Albert Dresden].
    Cast: Victor McLaglen:[(Captain Jim Flagg)], Edmund Lowe:[(Sergeant Harry Quirt)], Greta Nissen:[(Elsa)], El Brendel:[(Olsen)], [Fifi D'Orsay:(Fifi)], [Marjorie White:(Margie)], [Jesse De Vorska:(Izzy Kaplan)], [Marion Lessing:(Gretchen)], [T. Roy Barnes:(Captain of the Marines)], [Ruth Warren:(Ruth)], [Bela Lugosi:(Prince Hassan)], [Joyce Compton:(Kiki)], [Charles Judels:(Leon)], [Albert Dresden:(Mullen)], [Captain Bradley:(Captain)], [Arthur McLaglen:(Marine)], [Tom Myers:(Busher)]
    Genre: Comedy, Military
    Broad Subject: Romantic rivalry:; United States. Marine Corps:
    Specific Subjects: Battleships:; Beauty shops and hair salons:; New York City--Brooklyn:; Cafés:; Chases:; Christmas:; Dancers:; Fights:; Harems:; Palaces:; Panama Canal (Panama):; Police raids:; Recruiting and enlistment:; Santa Claus:; Sneezing:; Sweden:; World War I:
    Plot Summary: In the trenches of the Verdun front during World War I, Captain Jim Flagg and Sergeant Harry Quirt, rivals in love and other endeavors, shake hands before an attack on the enemy, although Quirt stipulates, "if we pull through, this don't go." The attack succeeds, and after the war, Flagg and Quirt, to whom scrapping is second nature, rejoin the Marines. After escapades in the Philippines and China, they wind up on a battleship in the Panama Canal, where mutual name-calling leads Flagg to throw a tomato at Quirt. It hits the commanding officer, and Flagg is thrown in the brig. After their discharge, in Brooklyn, their hometown, Flagg runs a Marine recruiting office with his subordinate Olsen, whose recurring sneezes annoy Flagg, who thinks someone is giving him "the razzberry." Flagg's one recruit is Izzy Kaplan, whose father gets Flagg to promise that he'll look after Izzy. Across the hall, women flock to a beauty parlor run by a Professor Dubois, who, when the joint is raided, Flagg discovers is really Quirt. By threatening to turn Quirt over to the police, Flagg forces him to re-enlist, and thus wins an extra week's furlough for himself. They are next sent on a goodwill cruise to Scandinavia. In Gothenburg, Sweden, at a cafe on Christmas Eve, Flagg flirts with a blonde dancer named Elsa and discovers that the Santa Claus whom she kisses is really Quirt. Elsa's huge sweetheart Olaf then throws Quirt and Olsen through a closed door and Flagg through a wall. Next, in Nicaragua after an earthquake, the Marines help in the relief effort. As Izzy, mortally wounded, lies dying, Flagg promises to make sure that his father gets his insurance money. Flagg then helps dislodge a Marine caught underneath fallen rubble only to discover the man to be Quirt. Their next order takes them to a Mediterranean port, where Flagg finds Elsa, now the favorite in the harem of Prince Hassan, whom she met in Paris. After Quirt tricks Flagg into giving him a boost over the palace wall, Elsa whispers to Quirt what the prince will do to him if he is found there. Nevertheless, she convinces him to stay, and when Flagg arrives, she hides Quirt in a closet and tells him to come out when she meows. Flagg starts to leave when Elsa repeats to him what the prince will do if he is found there, but she implores him to stay. When the prince arrives, Elsa hides Flagg in her bathroom. A real cat then meows, which provokes Quirt to meow back. Flagg, thinking the sound is coming from Elsa, joins in the meows, and Olsen, hiding behind Elsa's door, completes the cat chorus. Hassan finds the three and has his guards, who brandish sharpened knives, chase them. Elsa helps Olsen escape by dressing him in her clothes, while Flagg and Quirt subdue two guards and take their uniforms. They carry the royal chair out of the palace, thinking Elsa is inside, and as they argue about who will take care of her, Olsen's sneeze from inside ends their dispute. As Flagg, Quirt and Olsen parade through town with other Marines, women wave to them.
    Note: After the opening credits, a title card reads, "I first heard of Flagg and Quirt from my friend Captain Laurence Stallings of the 5th U.S. Marines. At that time they were in action on the Verdun Front, France." The card is signed by the director Raoul Walsh. Fox made two previous films featuring the characters Flagg and Quirt, the 1926 What Price Glory and the 1929 The Cock-Eyed World, both directed by Walsh and starring McLaglen and Lowe (see AFI Catalog of Feature Films, 1921-30; F2.6213 and F2.0940) and one later film, the 1933 Hot Pepper (see below), directed by John Blystone and again starring McLaglen and Lowe. Walsh, in his autobiography, commented, "Women of All Nations was a turkey because it could not be anything else. A third McLaglen-Lowe film was just too much for the public."       Information in the Twentieth Century-Fox Records of the Legal Department at the UCLA Theater Arts Library indicate that James Gleason, Basil Woo n, William K. Wells and Walter C. Kelly wrote material for the film, but that only Barry Conners' material was used in the final film. Humphrey Bogart and Nat Pendleton are listed as cast members in early screen credit sheets in the legal records, and still photographs from the film's production show Bogart with McLaglen and Lowe in the battleship sequence. Neither Bogart nor Pendleton were apparent in the print viewed, and an examination of the film's continuity taken from the screen did not reveal scenes with their characters. In addition, in the final screen credit sheet in the legal records, for the print that was shipped from Hollywood to New York on 13 May 1931, neither Bogart's nor Pendleton's name appears, thus indicating that their scenes were cut from the final film. Information in the legal records indicates that J. Henry Kruse led the singers and directed the Swedish orchestra in the Swedish sequence of the film. Although reviews and modern sources call both Fl agg and Quirt sergeants, Flagg is called a captain in the film's dialogue.

Var commented that the "meow chorus" was reminiscent of a scene in Paramount's Dishonored, also starring McLaglen, which was released earlier in 1931 (see above). Var also noted that "the wholesale cutting is obvious and results in many pointless sequences."

Source citations: Film Daily 31 May 31, p. 10.; HF 21 Feb 31, p. 24.; HF 21 Mar 31, p. 24.; Hollywood Reporter 13 May 31, p. 3.; Motion Picture Herald 10 Jan 31, p. 40.; Motion Picture Herald 30 May 31, p. 54.; New York Times 30 May 31, p. 9.; Variety 2 Jun 31, p. 15.

Be who you are & say what you feel Because those who mind dont matter & those who matter dont mind

• Here is the reply I had from AFI re my query regarding Women of all nations 1931

Sent: 13 January 2010 17:53
    To: [email protected]
    Cc: Information AFI
    Subject: John Wayne film appearance

Dear Ms. Reid,
    Thank you for contacting AFI.com. Unfortunately, we cannot confirm that John Wayne acted in the film WOMEN OF ALL NATIONS (1931). We can tell you, though, that an AFI Catalog staff member had access to Fox production files for the film and did not find Wayne's name listed. Some other prominent names, including Humphrey Bogart, were listed as cast members whose parts had been cut, so it seems likely that the staff member would have come across Wayne's name (even if listed under his real name) and mentioned it. In the early 1990s, when the film was cataloged, the Fox records were available at UCLA's Special Collections Department, but we understand that that may no longer be the case.
    Assuming that you have looked through all of the autobiographical and biographical films on Wayne, the only other suggestions we can make--and this is something of a long shot--is to look at Variety or Film Daily for the period around the time of proudcuction and scour for news items that might have mentioned his casting. Another alternative is to look at Film Daily Yearbooks or Players' Directories for the earwy 1930s. Sometimes even minor actors list extensive credits, even if their roles were ultimately cut from specific films.
    Although Wayne's daughter-in-law Gretchen retains offices in Burbank for Batjac, we were unable to find an email contact address for them.
    Good Luck on your research. If you find a definitive answer, we would love to hear and adjust he AFI Catalog record.
    Sincerely,
    AFI Catalog Staff

Be who you are & say what you feel Because those who mind dont matter & those who matter dont mind

• Hi ethanedwards, have Purchased many rare JW DVDs from Bygone Movies in USA, quality has always been as stated, and delivery good, contact thru E Bay,Happy New Year to all,God blessThe Duke, Silverfox Australia.

• Earlier this year, I was able to obtain all but one edition of The Big Trail, although I don't yet have an index. If you have an index and can tell me which issue has information on Strong Boy, I can tell you what Tim Lilley has to say about it.

Mrs. C :angel1:

Howdy All,
    Well, here's my two cents on the subject of Strong Boy and Women of All Nations (WOAN).
    I have all 90 issues of The Big Trail, and I have looked through all of them trying to find anything Tim Lilley may have said about WOAN and Strong Boy. I could not find a thing on Strong Boy, so, I emailed Tim Lilley, and asked his opinion re JW's involvement. Here is his response: Hi Bob,
    I think Fred and I discovered a reference or two that mentioned "Strong Boy" with Vic McLaglen and directed by Ford late in the Big Trail's run. Along with films like "The Black Watch" and "Born Reckless," also mentioned in connection with the Duke, they represent that period at Fox when Duke was doing whatever propping and extra work he could, especially for Ford. It is likely that, like "Mother Machree," Duke was probably involved behind the camera and not on screen. Hope this is helpful.
    Tim

[INDENT]

In vol 15 #5 of The Big Trail, Tim Lilley says re WOAN: "Of all the "possible" titles linked to John Wayne, WOMEN OF ALL NATIONS seems the unlikeliest candidates, even with the availability of existing copies to view. One source that tied the Duke's name to the project was Foothill Video of California. Its owner informed one of our readers that researchers at UCLA who had worked on a restoration of the film contended that it was none other than an uncredited John Wayne, in heavy makeup and a wig, playing Olaf, the giant, lovesick-crazed, Swedish boyfriend of the heroine. The copy I have is of poor quality; I can't spot anything in the mannerisms and vocalizations of this character to make me confident that I am watching John Wayne. Is it possible? I suppose so. But Wayne would have been in his last few weeks of employment for the Fox studios when WOMEN began shooting in February of '31. Could Director Walsh have thrown his Big Trail protege a small part as he faced the news that Fox would not be renewing his contract? Bears thinking."

[/INDENT]
    Now, what do I think? If you look at Olaf, closely, the chin is wrong (but it could be makeup), the hair is not a wig (but could have been dyed blond). But the eyes and the nose and the basic facial structure lead me to think that it just could be a young John Wayne.

I hope this is helpful in answering the questions regarding Strong Boy and WOAN. As far as I am concerned, I think JW was involved in both of them. I haven't heard a convincing argument to make me think otherwise. Just saying that he isn't visible onscreen isn't enough. Hell, he isn't visible onscreen in Noah's Ark, Black Watch, Born Reckless, or Mother Machree either, and yet we know that he was involved in them as well! So I will keep them as part of my John Wayne filmography until someone can give me a convincing argument (i.e.: that he was working on something else, or was somewhere else, at the time) that he wasn't in them.

Bob

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them" It may be time worn, but it's the best life-creed I know.

• Hi Bob

Thank you so much for quoting the full text of What Tim Lilley wrote re Women of all nations.

When you have the full text and not the just the edited version posted by Keith IMHO it reads quite differently.

The full text to me is saying DONT KNOW not Definately did not?

Like you, where we have other references and until it is proved categoriclayy that JW did not have anything to do with these movies they are staying on my list

• Hi Elly, Bob and Keith

I think the work that the thee of you are doing wrt Duke's missing or rare films is not only worthwhile and commendable but what I think this board is all about namely giving a sound reliable basis for future research that will intelligently inform serious investigators of Duke's work.

I think we are very lucky to have you aboard.

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• Thanks Arthur and the work goes on! However there is someone else who has had a hand in this, RoughRider

he has put some clips on his excellent website

http://www.vanc.igs.net/~rough…ayne_dvd_filmography.html

Edited once, last by Elly: spelling ().

• I whole-heartedly agree. They put the 'real' historians to shame.

Bob

• Hi

ColoradoBob, RoughRider and myself are putting together a document with the Working title of "John Wayne before stagecoach"

This will include but not be confined to, as many references and quotes as possible from the many books written about JW.

In particular we are keen to supply enough information (and a clip where possible) to support the inclusion in any JW filmography, of those films where JW is un-credited.

We are also hoping to include clips actually showing JW from as many of these movies as we can. RoughRider has already done a brilliant job on quite a few of these which can be viewed on his website at

http://www.vanc.igs.net/~rough…ayne_dvd_filmography.html

Maybe we will release this onto DVD for anyone interested.

HOWEVER WE NEED YOUR HELP PLEASE!!!

Trying to find JW in some of these films is very difficult and the more we watch, well me in particular the less I can see of anything let alone JW LOL

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE

Can you dig out any copies you have of the films listed below and see if you can spot JW.

You can send me a PM if you are interested in helping and do not have a copy.

Roughrider has some references on the role JW may have played in these films on the above website.
    If you have any information on these films and JW's role in them I would be grateful for that also.

THANK YOU

Listed in order of date of release

1926 Sep Bardelys the Magnificent
    1926 Oct Great K&A Train Robbery
    1927 May Annie Laurie
    1927 Sep Drop Kick (aka Glitter 1928 UK)
    1928 Jan Mother Machree (Fox)
    1928 Nov Noah’s Ark
    1929 May Black Watch (aka King of the Khyber Rifles UK)
    1930 Jan Lone Star Ranger, the
    1931 May Women of all nations
    1938 Feb Painted trail, The

Edited 2 times, last by Elly: spelling ().

• Any mention of the above in my library of books,
    I have mentioned on the Movie Review of the film.
    However,I do have Big Trail reviews on

The Lone Star Ranger,
    and
    Women of all nations
    which Bob posted in it's entirety.

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

Edited once, last by ethanedwards ().

• Thanks Keith

I will go to the movie reviews and see what you have posted there

• Hi

ColoradoBob, RoughRider and myself are putting together a document with the Working title of "John Wayne before stagecoach"

This will include but not be confined to, as many references and quotes as possible from the many books written about JW.

ISSUE ONE of this on-going project now available as a data DVD with clips showing exactly where John Wayne appears in many of these movies!

If you would like a copy please send me a PM.

Edited once, last by Elly: spelling ().

• Some of the titles you have mentioned here are available in some of those "WESTERN COLLECTIONS" dvd's you find in stores and websites where you sometimes find as many as 50 titles in the "COLLECTION". There will also be films with actors like Johnny Mack Brown or Bob Steele, Gene Autry or Roy Rogers. Most of them are titles in public domain so quality may not be great but the films are there.

• Some of the titles you have mentioned here are available in some of those "WESTERN COLLECTIONS" dvd's you find in stores and websites where you sometimes find as many as 50 titles in the "COLLECTION". There will also be films with actors like Johnny Mack Brown or Bob Steele, Gene Autry or Roy Rogers. Most of them are titles in public domain so quality may not be great but the films are there.

Thank jmac and I have extended you an official Welcome
    in our dedicated thread

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• Your welcome Keith. If you go on the website for a company called Sportsmans Guide and look up the dvd's they sell I believe you will find the Western Collection I was talking about. Sorry I don't have the item number handy but the website is pretty easy to navigate. Good Luck in your search.

Jmac67