Speaking of Maureen O'Hara . . .

There are 54 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 37,829 times. The latest Post () was by ejgreen77.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Hello Juneface. I heard a while ago that Mrs. O'hara had her pocketbook stollen with very special memories inside it. Did she ever get it back and did they catch the evil person who did it? With a career such as hers and as long as hers, I am sure the items she had inside (pics and stuff) were a hard thing to lose. I hope she got them back. Any info? dukefan1

"I couldn't go to sleep at night if the director didn't call 'cut'. "

• I have been on your web site for a long time for at least 4 or 5 years. I go to this site and enjoy it very much. June, I am so glad that you are on this board giving your insights Duke and the Lady. We are so glad to have an ear from the lady herself.

You might add, a Big Happy Birthday to Ms. O'Hara. A very classy woman who has touched my heart.

Cheers, Hondo B)

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote

• Hi All

Thanks to Roland I was alerted to a post in the Maureen O'Hara magazine.

She is in London Saturday 18th September doing a book signing at Harrods. I have just joined the magazine site and I will be in London at High Noon tomorrow to hopefully get my book signed and meet the lady.

Can't wait for Saturday, I'll let you know how I get on.

She is also doing a live interview on the Richard and Judy show on Channel 4 on Monday around 4 0'clock.

And for Robbie she is in Dublin September 26 at the Irish Film Institute to receive a lifetime Achievement Award.

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• Hey Arthur,

Take your interviewer hat with you and see if she'll do a quick interview for dukewayne.com. ;)

Kevin

• Hi

I had an interesting day yesterday I thought I'd get to London early (its only an hour and a half by train). I got to the station and found that there were no trains in or out of Portsmouth for two days because of line repairs. So we had to go by bus to Havant a small town about four miles outside of Portsmouth. after leaving home at 0805 by 0935 I was at last on a train to London, so much for an early start.
    Arrrived in London shortly after 1100 made my way to Harrods and met Karen Cooksley who is Ithink June Becks second in command on the Maureen O'Hara magazine. She comes from Dallas Texas and was combining the visit qwith a holiday. I also met Arild, a Norwegian teacher and his friend, and trevor and his wife wh come from Bedhampton which is in between Portsmouth and Havant and who by coincidence worked in the same building that i was in during the late seventies and early eighties. They were nice people. Started to queue at 1200, the signing was due to start at 1400.
    Behind us was a little old lady and another man who at first I thought were together but it later transpired that they didn't know each other (more about him later in another thread).
    Time passed and then it was announced that Maureen when she arrived was very frail, and would be in a wheelchair, she would not write dedications, she would not sign photographs and no cameras were allowed. By 1400 I would estimate their being about five to six hundred people in the queue.
    As We got round the corner she was surrounded by people cameras were flashing left right and sideways and she was talking. If she was a frail old lady I hope I'm that frail if I reach her age.
    Just as It was near my turn the man at the head of the queue looked at my book and said she might not sign that as its American but by hiding the cover she signed. I had taken a picture of her that I hoped she might sign, but in the end didn't press my luck, thankful that after two and half hours I had got the book signed. Although she was signing pictures as well as books. despite the officials trying to stop herr talking to the people she did hold conversations but I must admit I was tongue tied and just said thank you.
    After we all went for a drink and I left to get home, pick up a Chinese Takeaway
    and relax. It had been a long day.

I took some photographs I don't know if they came out, I'll have to wait for my son to check the camera for me, If I can I will put some on the board.

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• Arthur,

Thank you SO much for sharing your experience with us! I feel like we were there with you (wish we were!).

So . . . she didn't look so frail, after all. And so much for no cameras . . . . But it does sound like she was not going to give you even a brief interview - oh, well . . . .

What an experience!

Robbie, are you planning on seeing her in Ireland next week?? Give her a business card with the message board web address B) and tell her to check it out!

Hey, itdo, any plans to jet over to Ireland for the day?

Chilibill, just how far can you go in that plane of yours? Think it'll make it across the "pond"? :rolleyes:

Chester :newyear:

• I would love to go and see her however Dublin is a long way from where I live, if it was Belfast or somewhere in Northern Ireland I may have went.

I am howver quite likely to go to the convention in 2007 and a number of friends of mine may be coming but they ask me whats going to be happening and I have no idea could someone help me out?

:agent:

Regards
    Robbie

• Congratulations, Arthur, so glad you could make it.

Even for a brief moment, you have been in her presence, and that's something you might want to remember every time you watch on of her movies thereafter.
    Those marketing people ALWAYS say: the star is tired, please no questions, and at a booksigning they ALWAYS say: no autographs on pictures (cause they wanna sell the books) but the stars themselves are never like that. Yet if you want to do an interview or talk about that board you better check with the managment for extra time.
    I'm up to my neck in work and therefore couldn't have gone to London (which would have been the shorter trip than Dublin). Where in Ireland do you live, Robbie?

• Hi Roland

I think you are right about the stars,

The only thing that was a slight let down was the attitude of some of the shop assistant who began complaining about all the people who were gathered around and were saying that it was ridiculous.

You are right I will never forget Saturday, and what these people don't realise or couldn,' care about is this was the only chance myself and many many people like me will have of seeing her, some like me have watched her pictures since the early fifties, and although other might deride it as trite, for about six hundred people Saturday was an unforgettable experience.

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

Originally posted by arthurarnell@Sep 20 2004, 02:44 AM
    You are right I will never forget Saturday, and what these people don't realise or couldn,' care about is this was the only chance myself and many many people like me will have of seeing her, some like me have watched her pictures since the early fifties, and although other might deride it as trite, for about six hundred people Saturday was an unforgettable experience.

I had an experience like that the last time I was stationed in Germany (US European Command in Stuttgart). One day I was sitting in my office and one of my soldiers rushed in and breathlessly said, "Hey, Sarge, guess who I just saw down at the tennis courts?" I said, "Who? and he said "Charlton Heston". (This was about 1973)

Well, since Heston has always been one of my favorite actors I naturally went to the tennis courts to see if the guy was telling the truth. Sure enough, there he was big as life, er, Moses, playing tennis with an officer. :D

Straightaway, I rushed to my quarters and got one of my books about the movies, went back to the courts and after he finished his game, asked him to autograph my book. He asked my name and when I told him, he wrote on the flyleaf "Jim, Glad to have met you in Stuttgart. [signed] CHARLTON HESTON." It's a treasured possession.

I learned later that his sister was married to one of the generals we had in the headquarters and he was visiting her.

De gustibus non est disputandum

• For you people that are into this type of thing you can go to "June Beck's Web-Site" on Maureen O'Hara that is on the First page of "This Web-Site" and there is a "GREAT PICTURE" of our own "ARTHUR" standing next to Maureen at the Book Signing in England a few days ago for her new book "TIS HERSELF." If you go to June Beck's Message Board you can read about the "Donybrook" that took place at the end of the Book Signing from some the people that were there. :fear2: This book is a Must Have for people that want to know more about John Wayne , John Ford and Maureen O'Hara!!! :wub: You also can go to MAUREEN O'HARA :cowboy: Chilibill

• ARTHUR! You made it! On Maureen's website! Yes - it's him - the good-lookin fella right next to the Queen of Technicolor!
    Top of the world, Maa!!
    Speaking of Technicolor: what's the bright green bag you brought?! The BLOB?! :lol:
    Or do you just want to signal Maureen that you like the Irish colors?
    (hey, in the group shot, there's that green blob again :D )

• Hi Roland

I was just about to leave home and thought that I'm likely to get in such a state that I would probably put the book down somewhere and lose it, so at the last minute I picked up the first career bag that came to hand stuffed the book in it. Later I put the newspaper I was reading on the train and while I was in the queue the gentleman from Norway very kindly gave me a copy of the Irish American magazine with Maureen on the front cover. So that went into the bag.

The first thing my wife said when she saw the original picture Why didn't you lose the bag. But in that rush and on that occasion rational thinking goes out of the window.

Saw the interview with Richard and Judy last night

She was asked about her experiences with John Wayne and Jimmy Stewart she had a slight senior moment when she forgot what she was going to say but after that she was fine.
    They showed a couple of clips from the Quiet Man and she explained off set that she had broken her wrist when she slapped John Wayne.
    She also related the incident with James Stewart after she had stolen a scene off of him and his reaction.
    Also showed a clip from the Rare Breed with good ole Jack Elam and Jimmy Stewart in the fight.
    And then the difference between John Wayne who said about a shot go ahead and try to steal the scene and as he walked away he looked back and said if you can.

The final question asked was if she ever thought that John Wayne ever loved her.
    She replied with an emphatic no saying that they were always friends but she didn't think he loved her.

The interview ended with a clip from Rio Grande
    I got the impression that Maureen was happy to sit and talk all night but she didn't get on screen until ten minutes from the end of the programe.

It sort of capped the weekend.

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• Hey Arthur, you looked great. Don't feel bad about not saying much. I know I would have done the same thing. My tongue tends to get real thick and its just best to keep it in my mouth when that happens!! :lol: I am jealous of you for getting your pic taken next to a legend.

Life is hard, its even harder when your stupid!!
    -John Wayne