John Wayne Trivia

    This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

    Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? Registration is completely free and will enable the use of all site features including the ability to join in or create your own discussions.
       

    There are 34 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by oliver13.

    • Okay folks, here's a little John Wayne trivia to tickle your brain cells. The questions are not too hard, and hopefully you'll find them to be a little bit of fun.

      1. In what film would you find the line: "Bat Masterson always was full of sheep dip."?

      2. In what film would you find a character named "Budger"?

      3. On what imaginary South Sea island does the film "Donovan's Reef" take place?

      4. In what two John Wayne films will you find a primary character with the name of "Gilhooley"?

      5. What was the name of the founding editor of the Shinbone Star, and who played him?

      6. What two John Wayne films feature a tribute to Harry Carey, Sr.?

      7. Aside from John Wayne, two actors who appeared in "Hondo", also appeared in "McLintock!" Who were they and what characters did they play in each film?

      8. What exactly is a "Cheechalker"?

      9. Who was originally slated to play Dan Roman in "The High And The Mighty"?

      10. In "The Comancheros" what was the name of the gun runner, and who played him?

      Good Luck, I'll post the answers in a couple of days!
      Colorado Bob
      "I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them" It may be time worn, but it's the best life-creed I know.
    • Hello All
      I am burning brain cells on this one and don't have most answers but whatever.

      1-- Shootist?

      3--HaleoKaloa

      4--Donovans reef

      5--Dutton Peabody--Edmond O Brien ( Liberty Valance )

      6--Three Godfathers, Shepherd of the Hills??

      Greetings from North of the 49th
    • Okay, here's the answers:
      1. In what film would you find the line: "Bat Masterson always was full of sheep dip."?
      {The Shootist}

      2. In what film would you find a character named "Budger"?
      {Cahill, U.S. Marshal. Budger was the nickname of the youngest of Cahill's boys. Played by Clay O'Brien}

      3. On what imaginary South Sea island does the film "Donovan's Reef" take place?
      {Haleakaloah. I probably misspelled it!}

      4. In what two John Wayne films will you find a primary character with the name of "Gilhooley"?
      {Donovan's Reef - Gilhooley was played by Lee Marvin; and McLintock! - Kathleen McLintock's [Maureen O'Hara] maiden was Gilhooley}

      5. What was the name of the founding editor of the Shinbone Star, and who played him?
      {Dutton Peabody - played by Edmund O'Brien}

      6. What two John Wayne films feature a tribute to Harry Carey, Sr.?
      {Three Godfathers - tribute at the beginning to the "Bright Star of the Early Western Sky"; and The Searchers - at the end of the film, Wayne crosses his right arm across his body and grasps his left elbow, traditionally a Harry Carey Sr., gesture. Wayne did it as a tribute to Carey, Sr.}

      7. Aside from John Wayne, two actors who appeared in "Hondo", also appeared in "McLintock!" Who were they and what characters did they play in each film?
      Leo Gordon played Ed Lowe in Hondo and Jones the "Cheechalker" whom Wayne belts at the mud slide in McLintock; and Michael Pate played Chief Vittorio in Hondo and Chief Puma in McLintock}

      8. What exactly is a "Cheechalker"?
      Cheechalker is actually pronounced "Cheechalko" and is an Indian word meaning one who is inexperienced or has no knowledge. Essentially a tenderfoot or greenhorn.}

      9. Who was originally slated to play Dan Roman in "The High And The Mighty"?
      {Spencer Tracey, who refused to work with director William Wellman}

      10. In "The Comancheros" what was the name of the gun runner, and who played him?
      {Ed Baines. He was played by Guinn "Big Boy" Williams}

      I hope you all enjoyed this little quiz. If anyone's interested, I'll post another one. See ya'll later,
      Colorado Bob
      "I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them" It may be time worn, but it's the best life-creed I know.
    • Originally posted by Senta@Sep 26 2005, 12:15 AM
      Hi Colorado Bob,
      The questions was very interesting, but of course I have no chance to answer them. I even didn't see yet most of the films, you mentioned. It is always interests me, how many JW films have you see? :blink:
      Regards,
      Senta
      [snapback]21655[/snapback]



      Hi Senta,
      How many have I seen? Well, I have 147 John Wayne films in my collection, and I've seen all of them at least once, most more than that, plus a few dozen documentaries, TV shows, Specials, etc..., so not counting them, I'd have to say 147. My family says I need to get a life!
      Colorado Bob
      "I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them" It may be time worn, but it's the best life-creed I know.
    • Originally posted by Colorado Bob@Sep 27 2005, 03:55 AM
      Hi Senta,
      How many have I seen? Well, I have 147 John Wayne films in my collection, and I've seen all of them at least once, most more than that, plus a few dozen documentaries, TV shows, Specials, etc..., so not counting them, I'd have to say 147. My family says I need to get a life!
      Colorado Bob
      [snapback]21674[/snapback]



      Hi Colorado Bob,
      I have only 32 in my collection now, but I'm a very newbe JW fun, so I look forward and hope to see the others.

      Ringo,
      It is nice to hear from you again, I'm glad that you are all right. I didn't worrying about my little knowlege at all. Instead I feel myself little exited becouse there are so many great Dukes films for me in the nearest future. And each new gives me so great joy and pleasure. And it is the reason that the last weeks I sometimes smile without any reason. :rolleyes:
      It is great to find a hero like Duke.
      Regards,
      Senta
    • Originally posted by Senta@Sep 27 2005, 11:52 PM
      Hi Colorado Bob,
      I have only 32 in my collection now, but I'm a very newbe JW fun, so I look forward and hope to see the others.

      Ringo,
      It is nice to hear from you again, I'm glad that you are all right. I didn't worrying about my little knowlege at all. Instead I feel myself little exited becouse there are so many great Dukes films for me in the nearest future. And each new gives me so great joy and pleasure. And it is the reason that the last weeks I sometimes smile without any reason. :rolleyes:
      It is great to find  a hero like Duke.
      Regards,
      Senta
      [snapback]21706[/snapback]



      Hi Senta, it is a pleasure of mine to also hear from you again as well. ;-)) Thank you and thank goodness that we came through the storm in perfect order. Heh heh, I DO worry about my lack of knowledge about Duke's films being as I love most of em and also being a member of this great site. :-)) Sam goes for me when I get a new Duke film. I can't wait till Hondo and McClintock are released so i can et them as well and mave a "Duke Weekend" at my house. I fully agree with you, I too think of The Duke a s agreat hero.

      Take care my friend--C.

      PS, if you wish and by private message, if you send me your address, I would like to send something to you which has to do with The Duke. :cowboy:
      Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..
    • Originally posted by General Sterling Price@Sep 28 2005, 10:38 PM
      Wasn't the gun runner called "Ed McBane"?

      GSP
      [snapback]21730[/snapback]



      Whoops! You're absolutely right General! See, that's why you're a General and I'm only a sergeant (at work). Thanks!
      Take Care,
      Colorado Bob
      "I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them" It may be time worn, but it's the best life-creed I know.
    • Re: John Wayne Trivia

      Colorado Bob wrote:

      Okay, here's the answers:
      1. In what film would you find the line: "Bat Masterson always was full of sheep dip."?
      {The Shootist}

      2. In what film would you find a character named "Budger"?
      {Cahill, U.S. Marshal. Budger was the nickname of the youngest of Cahill's boys. Played by Clay O'Brien}

      3. On what imaginary South Sea island does the film "Donovan's Reef" take place?
      {Haleakaloah. I probably misspelled it!}

      4. In what two John Wayne films will you find a primary character with the name of "Gilhooley"?
      {Donovan's Reef - Gilhooley was played by Lee Marvin; and McLintock! - Kathleen McLintock's [Maureen O'Hara] maiden was Gilhooley}

      5. What was the name of the founding editor of the Shinbone Star, and who played him?
      {Dutton Peabody - played by Edmund O'Brien}

      6. What two John Wayne films feature a tribute to Harry Carey, Sr.?
      {Three Godfathers - tribute at the beginning to the "Bright Star of the Early Western Sky"; and The Searchers - at the end of the film, Wayne crosses his right arm across his body and grasps his left elbow, traditionally a Harry Carey Sr., gesture. Wayne did it as a tribute to Carey, Sr.}

      7. Aside from John Wayne, two actors who appeared in "Hondo", also appeared in "McLintock!" Who were they and what characters did they play in each film?
      Leo Gordon played Ed Lowe in Hondo and Jones the "Cheechalker" whom Wayne belts at the mud slide in McLintock; and Michael Pate played Chief Vittorio in Hondo and Chief Puma in McLintock}

      8. What exactly is a "Cheechalker"?
      Cheechalker is actually pronounced "Cheechalko" and is an Indian word meaning one who is inexperienced or has no knowledge. Essentially a tenderfoot or greenhorn.}

      9. Who was originally slated to play Dan Roman in "The High And The Mighty"?
      {Spencer Tracey, who refused to work with director William Wellman}

      10. In "The Comancheros" what was the name of the gun runner, and who played him?
      {Ed Baines. He was played by Guinn "Big Boy" Williams}

      I hope you all enjoyed this little quiz. If anyone's interested, I'll post another one. See ya'll later,
      Colorado Bob

      Well I just found this thread and I for one would definitely be interested in another trivia quiz. I actually was able to answer most of the ones here.
      Stay thirsty my friends.
    • Re: John Wayne Trivia

      Howdy gt12pak,
      Glad you enjoyed it. I'll squeeze my brain cells and see if I can't come up with a few more questions for y'all. Just give me a couple of days.
      Best Always,
      Colorado Bob
      "I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them" It may be time worn, but it's the best life-creed I know.
    • Re: John Wayne Trivia

      Here's a suggestion - do it something like dukefan1's What's on TV? feature, posting it and then folks PM the answer(s) so that everyone has an equal chance to answer, and after a week, you post the correct answers, and the names of those who got them right, if you want to.

      Chester :newyear: