John Wayne Trivia

There are 34 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 35,396 times. The latest Post () was by oliver13.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Hi Chester

Its probably my lack of knowledge on this subject but I was always pretty certain he only wore this type of hat in three movies, can you confirm that there are at least four movies in which he wears this type of hat?

:agent:

In a word . . . yes. :wink_smile: All four titles are available (although I can't say with certainty that they are available in all regions).

Chester :newyear:

• Just wanted to (bump) this back up, since this is the weekend, to give y'all an opportunity to see that we are trying a weekly trivia quiz.and give you a chance to play.

• In a word . . . yes. :wink_smile: All four titles are available (although I can't say with certainty that they are available in all regions).

Thanks for that, I'm pretty sure you have me stumped on this question but I will nevertheless have a stab in the dark.

:agent:

Regards
    Robbie

• I thought I should offer this hint - in one of the four titles, he doesn't wear a coonskin cap throughout the movie, but he is definitely seen in that same movie with a coonskin cap at one point in the movie.

• Re: John Wayne Trivia
    Just wanted to (bump) this back up, since Friday is coming soon, to give y'all an opportunity to play. So far, four folks have sent answers, and. they have each gotten three out of four correct. Back to the resource books and movies. :wink_smile: Don't give up!

• Howdy, y'all!

I apologize for getting back to this a little late. Been dealing with some stuff around home that is rather time-consuming. Anyway, just as a reminder

Here's the first question -

John Wayne generally wore a cowboy hat in most of his westerns, but donned a coonskin cap in a number of his films. Name four.

Four people ventured out on this, and each one got three of the four films, which were

The Big Trail
    Allegheny Uprising
    The Fighting Kentuckian
    The Alamo

The Big Trail was the one that no one guessed. Quite frankly, we had to watch it again to confirm that Duke wore a coonskin cap in it, as every picture we found showed him in a regular hat. However, in a flashback scene in the movie, he is indeed wearing a coonskin cap.

Thanks to Hondo Duke Lane, arthurarnell, wbbison, and Robbie for playing this first game!!

Now, for the second question -

In what film did Duke co-star with two single-named actors, in what year did the film's story take place, and where (location) in the movie did he meet his leading lady?

Don't forget to PM the answer to me by next Sunday morning (I want to give everybody a week to answer; I'll eventually figure out if one day of the week works out better for me than another).

Have fun!

• Now, for the second question -

In what film did Duke co-star with two single-named actors, in what year did the film's story take place, and where (location) in the movie did he meet his leading lady?

Here are the answers to last week's question -
    The film was North Alaska.
    His single-named co-stars were teen idol Fabian and French actress Capucine.
    The story takes place in 1900, during the Alaska gold rush.
    He met Michelle/Angel (played by Capucine) in a dance hall/bordello in Seattle.

Of the three responses, one person got all four parts correct, and that was dukefan1!

Way to go, Mark!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Here's question number three -

John Wayne was responsible for recommending James Arness for the role of Marshall Matt Dillon in TV's Gunsmoke.
    Name the John Wayne movies in which James Arness appeared with Duke.

Don't forget to PM the answer to me by next Sunday (I want to give everybody a week to answer; I'll eventually figure out if one day of the week works out better for me than another).

Have fun!

• Here's question number three -

John Wayne was responsible for recommending James Arness for the role of Marshall Matt Dillon in TV's Gunsmoke.
    Name the John Wayne movies in which James Arness appeared with Duke.

I guess I owe you guys an apology. I started this post last Monday, and somehow never hit the "Submit reply" button - got sidetracked somehow.

Anyway, the answers to the above question are:

Big Jim McLain (1952)

Hondo
    (1953)

Island in the Sky (1953)

The Sea Chase
    (1955)

Of the five response received, all five were correct. Congratulations to gt12pak, dukefan1, H.sanada, Jay J. Foraker, and ralphper, and thanks for playing!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Now, here is this week's question -

Impressionists invariably use the word "pilgrim" when doing John Wayne. Name two films in which Duke actually calls someone a pilgrim.

Don't forget to PM the answer to me by next Sunday (I want to give everybody a week to answer; I'll eventually figure out if one day of the week works out better for me than another).

Have fun!

• Well, I haven't exactly gotten very regular about keeping up with this quiz. Thanks to all of you who have been so patient, and to those who have played.

Impressionists invariably use the word "pilgrim" when doing John Wayne. Name two films in which Duke actually calls someone a pilgrim.

The answers to the above question are - The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance and McLintock!

Of the five responses I received, all five were correct.

Congratulations to The Tennesseean :teeth_smile:, dukefan1 :teeth_smile:, Baby Sister :teeth_smile:, thesherrif :teeth_smile:, and ralphper :teeth_smile: for naming the correct films!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

On the ads for Jet Pilot (1957), who got third billing after John Wayne and Janet Leigh?

Have fun!

• My hat's off to dukefan1, for being so timely in posting his WEEKLY trivia games! I'm still working on it. I thank you again for hanging in there with me.

On the ads for Jet Pilot (1957), who got third billing after John Wayne and Janet Leigh?

Of the three responses I received, all three - H.sanada :shades_smile:, Baby Sister :shades_smile:, and ralphper :shades_smile: - were correct, giving the answer

The United States Air Force

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Now - for a new question -

**** Name the never-realized film that John Wayne was supposed to have made for Sam Fuller in 1955, with Tyrone Power and Ava Gardner as his co-stars. ****

(Hint: This film was a topic of discussion on this message board a few years back . . . :wink_smile: )

Have fun!

• **** Name the never-realized film that John Wayne was supposed to have made for Sam Fuller in 1955, with Tyrone Power and Ava Gardner as his co-stars. ****

(Hint: This film was a topic of discussion on this message board a few years back . . . :wink_smile: )

Only one person braved this question, and it was :star: arthurarnell :star: (on his first time playing our little game!)

The correct answer is Tigrero, and to learn more about it, check out the discussion here.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Now - for a new question -

*** In what adventure film did John Wayne comment, "I always forgive a lady one murder." ***

Have fun!