What Was The Last Western You Watched?

There are 5,995 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 1,426,983 times. The latest Post () was by Mboat.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Gunman's Walk with Van Heflin, James Darren and Tab Hunter. Recently, Tab Hunter was kind enough to sign a picture and a poster from Sea Chase. As a hobby I research surviving cast members of Duke's pictures and addresses for these stars. The stars have been very kind to take time to sign them for me.

• Day of the Outlaw: Robert Ryan, Burl Ives.
    Gritty and tense Western with some stunning cinematography of the bleak but beautiful location.

"Pour yourself some backbone and shut up!"

• Pillars of the Sky - a cavalry-western starring Jeff Chandler and Ward Bond, but I did not like it... In the booklet I read that this movie was offered to John Wayne and John Ford by the producers, but they decided to do "The Searchers" instead. After I have seen Pillars of the Sky I can understand why! Jeff Chandler played a Sergeant in command of the Indian Police on a reservation, and Ward Bond was the preacher. Some Indian tribes, who were Christians joined a renegade chief as the US cavalry wanted to build a street through the reservation. In the end after all that fighting and brutal killing of cavalry troopers they became good Christians again and peace was restored. Stupid and too simple in the end! The landscape was the only enjoyable thing in that western. It was filmed on location in the mountains and valleys of Oregon.

Jeff Chandler did better western movies than that one, for example "Broken Arrow" or "Drango"!

"Never apologize. It´s a sign of weakness."

• Ulzana's Raid.
    Brutal, brilliant and unflinching Western starring Burt Lancaster.
    The uncut version, not available in the UK, is the one to get for any UK visitors to the forum!

Followed by White Feather starring a very, very young Robert Wagner and beautiful Debra Paget. Much more Hollywood but enjoyable all the same.

Followed by White Feather starring a very, very young Robert Wagner and beautiful Debra Paget.

What a wonderful typical old-fashioned indian-western movie! I have seen it many times and I still love it!

Today I watched Black Bart with Dan Duryea and Yvonne DeCarlo. This western was great fun to watch, it had love and romance, gunfighting and humor and fine horses! The gentleman-bandit Black Bart (Duryea) and femme fatale Lola Montez (DeCarlo) fell in love in that movie, although in history they never met. In the end Black Bart and one of his friends had to be killed in a "Butch and Sundance scenario", to show, that crime does not pay... It was not the true story of Black Bart, but Dan Duryea, we know him from "Winchester cal. 73" and many other westerns did real fine, and Yvonne DeCarlo was sooooo hot!

• What a wonderful typical old-fashioned indian-western movie! I have seen it many times and I still love it!

Today I watched Black Bart with Dan Duryea and Yvonne DeCarlo. This western was great fun to watch, it had love and romance, gunfighting and humor and fine horses!

White Feathers was really enjoyable and it was nice to see a very 'green' western rather than the deserts we are used to.

Never seen Black Bart but I'll hunt it down now, I've always liked Yvonne DeCarlo.

• Two episodes of: Wanted Dead or Alive. Great series and ive only seen maybe 2 episodes out of about 76--that were what I would rate as below excellent.

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

• After having watched a dozen Jesse James movies in my life, I watched The true Story of Jesse James, with young Robert Wagner as Jesse and Jeffrey Hunter as Frank James. Was it real the true story? - Who knows... The movie began with the Northfield bank robbery and then we could look back at episodes from Jesse´s life. In the end he was killed again by Bob Ford. Some of the episodes were nearly the same as in Tyrone Power´s "Jesse James".

The true Story of Jesse James was O.K. but "Jesse James" with Tyrone Power and Henry Fonda and "The Return of Frank James" with Henry Fonda are still my favourite western movies about that well known outlaw!