What Was The Last Western You Watched?

There are 5,995 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 1,441,372 times. The latest Post () was by Mboat.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Mornin' Mark, Well, we all know why that was. Ward NEVER won anything and should have got best supporting many times. I am afraid Ward's influence on Duke and close friendship with him was not good for Oscars! I wonder, if Ward had lived, would he have eventually won one like Duke did. He was such a natural actor from day one when Pappy put him in Salute. Seems if Duke had not tried to keep him out, Pappy wouldn't have given him the speaking part. Did yall know that a reviewer for Salute after the debut wrote that he thought Ward had a career in the movies and Duke wasn't even mentioned, LOL....Irony, WHAT? ANYWAY, I once did a list of all leading and supporting actors in a certain length of time that were nominated and won when Duke and Ward were in movies the same years. Would anyone like to see it? I posted it somewhere....just have to remember where. It is probably on my laptop also which comes back today, HOORAY....just have to reload the saved documents and pictures.
    Yep, that was an Oscar for SURE if it hadn't been for Ward. Folks liked Duke even with his politics....Ward was another story....you either loved or hated him....and LOTS hated him. And it was no secret that they were best friends. Too bad. I am sure that Duke knew it all. Seems as if Ward's friendship was more important to him than Oscars. BOY, that sure says something about him, doesn't it? I wonder if his children later came to dislike Ward because of that? Hope not. KPKEITH

The Searchers. Can't help but love this one. Duke was robbed when the Oscar nominations were handed out, that's for sure.

Mark

God, she reminds me of me! DUKE

• I never heard that angle about Ward's influence in Duke not getting more Oscars. I love Ward Bond also but have not read much about him. Interesting thoughts, KP Keith.

Mark

"I couldn't go to sleep at night if the director didn't call 'cut'. "

• Doing Gettysburg on Blu ray. Splitting my viewing to events on the relevant day so watched the 1st of July section yesterday and 2nd of July section after midnight. Works quite well as its so long each section takes almost a day to watch!
    really enjoying it, once I got past the dubious facial hair: Blu ray doesn't take any prisoners so they're even more laughable in places.

So true, Dooley. Tom Berenger as Gen. Longstreet was especially comical in the bad facial hair department. With the movie this long, couldn't they have timed the filming to let the actors grow actual beards.

It's still a great movie. The best part IMO is Union Col. Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain on Little Round Top. No ammo left? Fix bayonets and charge!

• So true, Dooley. Tom Berenger as Gen. Longstreet was especially comical in the bad facial hair department. With the movie this long, couldn't they have timed the filming to let the actors grow actual beards.

It's still a great movie. The best part IMO is Union Col. Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain on Little Round Top. No ammo left? Fix bayonets and charge!

If you haven't read the book that it is based on I would commend it to you. The Killer Angels by Michael Shaara. The movie was pretty faithful to the book but I have probably re-read the book a dozen times because it is so well written and like William Faulkner once wrote, "Maybe this time, we'll get over that wall." :wink_smile:

That's my favorite part as well. when he shouts "Bayonettes!", gives you the chills.

Mark

"I couldn't go to sleep at night if the director didn't call 'cut'. "

• Thanks Batjac, I have actually ordered that book, not knowing of the link, hence why I need to do some serious reading up! There's one goof which is subtle but really threw me. The scene before Pickett's charge when General Lee arrives on horseback and everyone is cheering, one guy is trying to shake his hand and he has a huge white tan line where his wrist watch was! Tiny detail but It really stood out!

"Pour yourself some backbone and shut up!"

Edited once, last by Dooley ().

• Advance To the Rear w/ Glenn Ford, Andrew Prine, Alan Hale Jr, Jim Bacus and Whit Bissell. Was nice to see another Glenn Ford comedy/western.

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

• Riders of Destiny. One of the ones Yakima jumps onto the team then under the coach and up into the driver's seat to take the reins from the wounded man. Boy, he made that look easy. But, I bet he had a sore backside!
    KPKEITH

Edited 2 times, last by Hawkswill: mistake ().

• Riders of Destiny. One of the ones Yakima jumps onto the team then under the coach and up into the driver's seat to take the reins from the wounded man. Boy, he made that look easy. But, I bet he had a sore backside!
    KPKEITH

Great fun these,
    I've been watching them as well,
    last night West of the Divide

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• Quantrill's Raiders W/ Steve Cochran as a Confederate Captain, Leo Gordon as Quantrill, and some other "Recognizable-faces".

Twas a pretty good movie and enjoyable even though its yet another hollywood version of how Quantrill met his end. This time it was in a gunfight with Cochran even though they were both supposed to be on the same side. Also, as Quantrill was in real life--a "Colonel" in this movie he was a mere Captain.

• Nice post Ringo Kid, You have tweaked my interest. I have never even heard of this although I DO know Leo Gordon. Will have to look for it. I assume it is in the 40s or early 50s? Thanks, KPKEITH

My Last Western was THE SONS OF KATIE ELDER again. Have a different perspective on my post for the Watch. Hope it isn't too far out for all to like! Going to put it out tonight!

Quantrill's Raiders W/ Steve Cochran as a Confederate Captain, Leo Gordon as Quantrill, and some other "Recognizable-faces".

Twas a pretty good movie and enjoyable even though its yet another hollywood version of how Quantrill met his end. This time it was in a gunfight with Cochran even though they were both supposed to be on the same side. Also, as Quantrill was in real life--a "Colonel" in this movie he was a mere Captain.

• Nice post Ringo Kid, You have tweaked my interest. I have never even heard of this although I DO know Leo Gordon. Will have to look for it. I assume it is in the 40s or early 50s? Thanks, KPKEITH

My Last Western was THE SONS OF KATIE ELDER again. Have a different perspective on my post for the Watch. Hope it isn't too far out for all to like! Going to put it out tonight!

Hi Hawk/ this is an On Demand title from Warner Bros and can be ordered from their website. They always have specials going on and this will most likely be the cheapest source for these movies. I think its late 1950s or early 1960s? Cant remember?

Leo Gordon as usual is the "bad guy" and does a great job of it. I best remember him as a bad guy who Duke shoots in: Hondo--when he attempts to ambush him while he and Sam, the Dog-are resting at a waterhole..

Im slowly discovering many GEMS made by W.B. that will probably never see the day of light on the DvD market--cept by On Demand. I also highly recommend The Tanks Are Coming as well as Breakthrough and A Force of Arms. All of these are Gems.