What Was The Last Western You Watched?

There are 5,995 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 1,442,964 times. The latest Post () was by Mboat.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• "The Beast Of Hollow Mountain" (1956)
    -Guy Madison

Plot :IMDB
    An American cowboy living in Mexico discovers his cattle is being eaten by a giant prehistoric dinosaur.

Phantom's Review: I love western movies, (pretty obvious I know)but I'm also a huge, huge fan of monster movies, and whenever these genres meet, I'm interested. Most of the time you get crap ("Billy The Kid vs Dracula" anyone)sometimes you get a small gem ("Curse Of The Undead" 1959) and sometimes you get a film like "Hollow Mountain". A film so outrageously goofy, you just can't help enjoying it.
    Put western star Guy Madison, a cattle stampede. a beautiful heroine, a hissable villain, and obnoxious little boy, his drunken father and a hungry dinosaur all together and you've got this looney, fun little time waster.
    Based on an idea by Willis O'Brian (but he didn't do the FX, too bad) . The acting is OK. The FX barely passable (your going to love the dinosaurs tongue) and some decent western action. This would make a great double feature with "Valley Of Gwangi". :)

They'd never forget the day,the stranger rode into town

• "A Fistfull of Dollars." I'm reading a biography on Clint Eastwood by Richard Schickel, a very detailed tome. Fascinating how Clint got involved in the "Man with No Name" movies. At the time he was getting disgruntled with "Rawhide."

Cheers - Jay:beer:
    "Not hardly!!!"

• "A Fistfull of Dollars." I'm reading a biography on Clint Eastwood by Richard Schickel, a very detailed tome. Fascinating how Clint got involved in the "Man with No Name" movies. At the time he was getting disgruntled with "Rawhide."

That's funny - I got disgruntled with "Rawhide" long before Clint did.

De gustibus non est disputandum

• Great stuff Jim, so funny,

..and I've got disgruntled with Rawhide along with Jim and Clint!!

Well if one has certain times in life when you hope you've made the right decision,
    I'm sure Clint has laughed all the way to the bank since.

Who was it who said Rawhide is as far as he goes, ha ha ha!!!

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

Edited once, last by ethanedwards ().

• “The Lawless Nineties”

It’s something I can’t say very often, but here’s a JohnWayne western I had never seen until now. It’s one of the Republic B-Westernsfrom the mid-thirties, and a good one!

• "Railroad" one of the later episodes of the one-hour Gunsmokes. Hadn't seen it ina while, and wanted to catch it for the climatic fight between James Arness as Dillon against Railroad tycoon Cameron, played by Jim Davis. The fight ended up being along the lines of the Quiet Man fight, but too many reaction shots of townspeople, and too little of the actual fight, disappointed me. I think this episode came along when they were toning down the violence, and they really did!

• "Incident At Phantom Ridge" (1966)
    -Robert Fuller, Dan Duryea, Jocelyn Lane

Plot: IMDB
    Captain Martin (Fuller) accepting a covert mission to locate a gold shipment that was snatched from a Union party by a rebel Confederate gang led by Joe Barlow (Duryea). During the attack, Martin's brother was killed and this drives Martin forward on his mission. With Barlow offered a pardon to lead them to the gold, Martin, a small group of men, and a "Madame" (Lane) who has been sanctimoniously ushered out of Hays City, set off to the Staked Plains looking for the hidden gold. But this is area ceded to the Comanche and outlaws stalk the land looking for ill gotten gains. Enough problems there as it is, but with water running low and the group coming apart due to differences and Barlow's scheming, it will be a small miracle if anyone makes it out alive.

Phantom's Review: Solid, well made Western adventure. Not quite an "A" picture, but more than a standard "B" flick, lets call it a "B+" movie.
    Plenty of action, a great villain, lots of reliable character actors (Claude Atkins, Noah Berry jr) a gorgeous leading lady, a decent if unoriginal plot and some fine acting from the whole cast. Very entertaining movie for western fans

They'd never forget the day,the stranger rode into town

• “The Lone Ranger” (2013)

Had to go see this movie - when I was a kid, before I discovered John Wayne, there was The LoneRanger!

This is not the “The Lone Ranger” we grew up with, and while no one can replace Clayton Moore as the Ranger, I found myself really liking this take on the story. Here, the villains are darker, there’s a spaghetti western look in some scenes, and even a little bit of a Weird Western element. There’s also a lot of humor and lots of action. This is the most fun I’ve had at the movies in a long time. It’s the type of “take a break from reality” escapism that I like. One fun ride!

• Went and saw the new Lone Ranger and a lot of Monument valley in it and the first shot of Lone ranger and Tonto there was on Fords Point. All in all not a bad movie.

• “The Lone Ranger” from 1956, and “The Lone Ranger and The Lost City of Gold” from 1958, both starring Clayton Moore and Jay Silverheels.

I saw the new “Lone Ranger” movie, which I thought was great. I had a great time watching that movie. It was one fun ride, and one of my new favorite movies. But as much as I like it, it’s just not THE Lone Ranger! So this weekend, I got out my old DVD’s of these two movies, and enjoyed them once again!

For what are basically B Movies, these films are really good! They’re not just extended episodes of the TV series, but actually well written, enjoyable films. I especially like “The Lost City of Gold”, because Jay Silverheels had a little more to do as Tonto than he did in the old series.

(Side note: I got to meet Clayton Moore back in 1986 when hecame to my hometown, in character as “The Lone Ranger” for a Texas Sesquicentennial Celebration. He was a great guy and real gentleman)

Edited 5 times, last by ZS_Maverick: Even more bad typing (not bad spelling!!!) ().

• Very cool ZS. Imagine Clayton will always hold a special place in your heart. I know just how you feel. He is one I missed, but would have LOVED to have met him, AND Jay. Thanks for sharing that with us. Keith

God, she reminds me of me! DUKE