What Was The Last Western You Watched?

There are 5,995 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 1,442,213 times. The latest Post () was by Mboat.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Watched the new version of The Magnificent 7 last week. I bought the 4K version and played it on my sons 78" 4k tv and it looked like the title, magnificent. Especially the panoramic scenes, so much detail. As for the movie, we thought it was pretty darn good. Not as good as the original from 1960, but it had it's good moments and plenty of action.
    As for the Blu-ray of Hondo, I bought a copy when it was first released and when I put it on, I was amazed at the picture clarity. It was beautiful and looked like a brand new movie. When The Searchers came out on Blu-ray some years back, I thought that was fantastic looking in HD. Hondo equaled that in every way.

• Watched the new version of The Magnificent 7 last week. I bought the 4K version and played it on my sons 78" $k tv and it looked like the title, magnificent. Especially the panoramic scenes, so much detail. As for the movie, we thought it was pretty darn good. Not as good as the original from 1960, but it had it's good moments and plenty of action.
    As for the Blu-ray of Hondo, I bought a copy when it was first released and when I put it on, I was amazed at the picture clarity. It was beautiful and looked like a brand new movie. When The Searchers came out on Blu-ray some years back, I thought that was fantastic looking in HD. Hondo equaled that in every way.

May I recommend "She wore a yellow ribbon" released this year. By far the best restoration I have seen to date and I have about 18 John Wayne movies on Blu ray thus far. Lots of fun work ahead of me.

• I'm watching Rough Riders (kind of a semi-western) with Tom Berenger, Sam Elliott, Gary Busey and a few other stars (1997). I've always liked this 2-part TV movie. It has drama, action and humor. A good watch!

• The Magnificent Seven

Good movie with the greatest score in the history of film. The last couple of years walk-up music has become a big thing with the Cubs. Each player picks the music that's played when he walks up to bat.

My walk up music would be the theme to the Magnificent Seven. It's a rouser.

• Watched Rawhide (1951) this morning on the Westerns channel. Tyrone Power, Susan Hayward, Edgar Buchanan, Jack Elam, Dean Jagger and a lot of the good old western character actors. I've always liked this movie, simple plot and straight forward presentation.

• Over the last three weekends I watched "The Calvary Trilogy", all four of them! (Ok, so I added "The Horse Soldiers into the mix")

1. "RIO GRANDE" - All of the experts tell me that this is the weakest of the trilogy, but being the stubborn guy that I am, this is my favorite of the three! The reason; the paring of Duke and Maureen O'Hara, and my favorite character, the action hero of the story, Tyree, played by Ben Johnson, who I thought stole the movie! Harry Carey Jr. was great in this one too as Tyree's sidekick; he was very funny as the smart-alecky sarcastic Texan (I can relate to that!)

2. "FORT APACHE" - Just a great movie; while "Rio Grande" is my personal favorite, this, in my opinion is the best of the trilogy.

3. "SHE WORE A YELLOW RIBBON" - This is one of the movies (along with "Red River", "The Quiet Man" and "The Searchers" among others) that I point to whenever one someone tells me that John Wayne only played one character and was a lousy actor! (Believe it or not, there are people out there that say that!) He was great in this one! Very good classic!

4. "THE HORSE SOLDIERS" - This one is not part of the trilogy, but I included it here anyway! Not being one of my favorites, I haven't seen it in awhile. As far as Civil War dramas go, this is a good one!