How The West Was Won

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Your view is limited. Please register to the JWMB to access all features.

There are 10 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by arthurarnell.

• Hi

Thanks to the courtesy of Colorado Bob I am listening to the sound track of How the West Was Won, and just occasionally some of the music sounds very familiar.
      By this i don't mean the tracks like the Eiree Canal, Shenendoah or Home in the Meadow, but if you listen closely you can pick out the music used when building the Railroad in Ford's The Iron Horse, snatches of the theme from The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance and Fords familiar Ann Rutledge theme from Young Lincoln.

My question, as one not very familiar with American folk music, is were these written or borrowed especially for the film? or are they based on traditional American music?

Regards

Arthur
      Walk Tall - Talk Low
    • Originally posted by arthurarnell@Nov 26 2005, 01:35 AM

Hi

Thanks to the courtesy of Colorado Bob I am listening to the sound track of How the West Was Won, and just occasionally some of the music sounds very familiar.
      By this i don't mean the tracks like the Eiree Canal, Shenendoah or Home in the Meadow, but if you listen closely you can pick out the music used when building the Railroad in Ford's The Iron Horse, snatches of the theme from The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance and Fords familiar Ann Rutledge theme from Young Lincoln.

My question, as one not very familiar with American folk music, is were these written or borrowed especially for  the film? or are they based on traditional American music?
      Regards

Arthur
      [snapback]23383[/snapback]

Hello Arthur,

The reason some of the music is from other films is due to the fact that Alfred Newman wrote those scores for Mr. Ford in his early films, like "Young Mr. Lincoln" Also, the Iron Horse was a silent film. When it was first shown, there was a different score, over the years as it's been release, other music was placed under it, some of Mr. Newman's music or other composers was used. Yes, the music was based on traditional music. Like Max Steiner did in Burt Lancaster's the "Flame & the Arrow" he based his music on Italian Folk Music.
    • Hi Stall 956

Thanks for that.

I didn't realise that Alfred Newman had written the music for How The West Was Won, he was a vastly underated composer who was kept very busy. I remember The Flame and The Arrow I saw it when I was a youngster and thinking back the music was great.

Regards

Arthur
      Walk Tall - Talk Low
    • I can't remember the exact title of the song, but it goes like this "Come, come, come away, with me...." is also the same song as a couple others. One is the Xmas song "Whose Child is This?" and the other one escapes me at the moment, but I always find myself humming along to this song and have trouble remembering which song it actually is.

I just watched How the West Was Won this past weekend on TCM. I'd forgotten what a good movie it is. You couldn't put a cast like that together these days with the salaries that would be doled out.
    • Originally posted by Patrick@Nov 28 2005, 11:27 PM
      I can't remember the exact title of the song, but it goes like this "Come, come, come away, with me...." is also the same song as a couple others.  One is the Xmas song "Whose Child is This?" and the other one escapes me at the moment, but I always find myself humming along to this song and have trouble remembering which song it actually is.

I just watched How the West Was Won this past weekend on TCM.  I'd forgotten what a good movie it is.  You couldn't put a cast like that together these days with the salaries that would be doled out.
      [snapback]23446[/snapback]

Howdy Patrick,
      The song is titled "A Home In The Meadow" and the tune is more popularly known as "Greensleeves" and is an old folk song. The Christmas song, "What Child Is This?" also uses the "Greensleeves" tune.
      Colorado Bob
      "I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them" It may be time worn, but it's the best life-creed I know.
    • Hi Bill

Yes, I think I'm pretty certain that he composed Greensleeves, and yes Jay you will get no arguement from me about the Ralph Vaughn Williams variation which I think is superb, Currently I am using a different version for a project I am involved with, it's a gentler version but it is also from an unknown source. It might possibly be nearer to the original than the Williams interpetation.

Regards

Arthur
      Walk Tall - Talk Low