Island In The Sky (1953)

There are 151 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 135,581 times. The latest Post () was by lasbugas.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• :wink_smile:

Un grand merci à Lasbugas pour ce résumé en Français et pour ces magnifiques photos...

A big thank you to Lasbugas for this summary in French and for these beautiful photos ...

Unconditional's Maureen O'Hara !
    French-English translation: poor !!!
    :blush:

• Thanks for all the great images. This has to be one of my all time fave Duke films. It's real edge of your seat stuff and his performance is superb and nuanced. I find it a far superior film to The High and Mighty.

"Pour yourself some backbone and shut up!"

• two thumbs up! Shows the Duke in a role i've never seen before, a desperate man! trying to hang on to save his crew. One of my favorites!

Edited once, last by wtrayah ().

• Another thing i don't understand, Why is it some of his movies, ( like this one ) are RARELEY seen on tv? My Dad ( who is 80 years old and a big JW fan ) until recently has never seen this movie before! He said, he thought he'd seen them all! They go back before the DVD era, so if they don't show it on tv, you don't see it. I'd like to see AMC or some western channel, devote one day or even one afternoon a week just for JW movies! Rotate them, so there's always a different one on! I think it would be a BIG HIT!

• [quote='wtrayah','http://dukewayne.com/bb/index.php?thread/&postID=107791#post107791']Another thing i don't understand, Why is it some of his movies, ( like this one ) are RARELEY seen on tv? My Dad ( who is 80 years old and a big JW fan ) until recently has never seen this movie before!

Totally agree, I class myself as a pretty avid fan yet had never seen this on TV in the UK. I bought it when it came out on DVD and couldn't believe it had been so overlooked. In my opinion it's one of JW's best non western with a great performance, superb supporting cast and genuinely tense. Not sure if some networks only have access to the more mainstream offerings. Luckily it's now widely available so it may finally get the recognition it deserves.

"Pour yourself some backbone and shut up!"