The Horse Soldiers (1959)

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Your view is limited. Please register to the JWMB to access all features.

There are 205 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by lasbugas.

• Re: The Horse Soldiers (1959)

Hi Arthur,

It was good to see that photo again. When i was 14, not particulary a Wayne, but definatly a western fan, this was the picture amongst others that were shown outside the cinema, and it was through this picture that persuaded me to go in and see the movie, i wasn't disapointed.

Reference the earlier posting, i assume that this film isn't included in the cavalry trilogy because they were made within a fairly short time scale, and devoted more to the expansion of the west, as against the civil war. Just a thought.

Chris.

Hi

Here is what I think is a brilliant portait photograph of John Wayne as Colonel John Marlowe in The Horse Soldiers

Regards

Arthur
      Files
      Walk Tall - Talk Low

Hi

Early on in the picture ol Marlowe (Wayne) has his first encounter with Major Hank Kendell and his assistant Otis 'Hoppy' Hopkins (O.Z.Whitehead) as they are checking Jack Pennick.

Regards

Arthur
      Files
      Walk Tall - Talk Low

Hi

Later on in the picture with Marlowe's command deep into Confederate territory they bivouac at the plantation owned by Hannah Hunter (Constance Towers) After dinner Marlowe informs his officers among whom are Col Phil Seacord (Willis Bouchey) & Major Richard Grey (William Leslie), of his plans to move on to New Orleans rather than retreat back through enemy country.
      Files
      Walk Tall - Talk Low

Hi

Once in Newton Grange the Union forces set about destroying everything considered vital to the Confederate war effort.

Discovering that a telegraph messege has been sent and a train is on the way Marlowe awaits its arrival.

Regards

Arthur
      Files
      Walk Tall - Talk Low

Hi

Following the death of Union cavalryman Dunker (Bing Russell) after having his leg amputated, and finally annoyed by Marlowe's constant criticism Major Kendell finally loses his temper.
      Files
      Walk Tall - Talk Low

Hi

Under attack and chased by the Confederate forces Col Marlowe watched by Major Richard Grey (William Leslie) and Col Seacord (Willis Bouchey) listens as Deacon Clump (Hank Worden) and Cpl Wilkie (Ken Curtis) explain that they know the whereabout of a secret trail through the swamp.

Regards

Arthur
      Files
      Walk Tall - Talk Low

Hi

With the Confederate forces in hot pursuit Col Marlowe (John Wayne) takes his farewell of Hannah (Constance Towers)

Regards

Arthur
      Files
      Walk Tall - Talk Low