The Horse Soldiers (1959)

There are 229 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 212,284 times. The latest Post () was by MichaelHarrison.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• One of my favourites William Holden Movie :wink: All moments between Holden and Duke are marvellous and worth to watch The Horse Soldiers.
    It's a pity that John Ford didn't made something like a Civil War Trilogy with Duke as he did with him with the great Cavalry Trilogy.

A scene with children in war is always disturbing. That's why John Ford put it into the movie to show the terror of war. Don't know many movies which shows children fighting in wars. Another I'm thinking of is the German Classic "Die Brücke" aka The Bridge which shows children soldiers in WW 2.

I watched recently a TV (German) version of The Horse Soldiers. Then I compared it with my Region-2 DVD. What a disappointment. The picture on the DVD is zoomed and sligthly butchered left and right so there are some information's missing. Something like I just don't like. Unfortunately I didn't recorded the TV Version.

"You're too good to give a chance to." John Wayne as Cole Thornton in El Dorado (1966)

Edited 2 times, last by JohnChisum ().

• Horse Soldiers is a very good movie. Rio Lobo may have been a bit more realistic of the fighting involved, but still the overall presentation was good.
    Kids did take part in battles during the Civil War. The South simply ran out of men, and if women were allowed to fight they would have joined, and some did fight unknown.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_New_Market
    A link to the New Market Battle where the VMI Cadets took part in a battle. Ages 15-21, but the majority were 15 since the older kids were already wearing grey.

• ShortGrub: Thanks for the link. I'm always interested in US History and as middle european I have to learn a lot about the Civil War. :book:

"You're too good to give a chance to." John Wayne as Cole Thornton in El Dorado (1966)

• One of my favourites William Holden Movie :wink: All moments between Holden and Duke are marvellous and worth to watch The Horse Soldiers.
    It's a pity that John Ford didn't made something like a Civil War Trilogy with Duke as he did with him with the great Cavalry Trilogy.

A scene with children in war is always disturbing. That's why John Ford put it into the movie to show the terror of war. Don't know many movies which shows children fighting in wars. Another I'm thinking of is the German Classic "Die Brücke" aka The Bridge which shows children soldiers in WW 2.

I watched recently a TV (German) version of The Horse Soldiers. Then I compared it with my Region-2 DVD. What a disappointment. The picture on the DVD is zoomed and sligthly butchered left and right so there are some information's missing. Something like I just don't like. Unfortunately I didn't recorded the TV Version.

I think your region 2 version is a bootleg or a non authorized version as the region 1 that I have is a widescreen presentation with no zooming of the scenes. I think Elle mentioned something about converting your dvd player to a all region player, maybe ask her how it is done and try to get the regino 1 version.

Life is hard, its even harder when your stupid!!
    -John Wayne

• I think your region 2 version is a bootleg or a non authorized version as the region 1 that I have is a widescreen presentation with no zooming of the scenes. I think Elle mentioned something about converting your dvd player to a all region player, maybe ask her how it is done and try to get the regino 1 version.

Sorry for the confusion but I think it was a technical issue with my DVD player :frusty: Don't really understand it cause I tried the DVD on a other player and the picture was Widescreen. The region 2 DVD must be the same as Region 1 and don't worry it's an official release.

• I saw this a few months ago and it is a beautifully filmed masterpiece. Duke and William Holen were superb as always.

• I saw this film with my dad in the theater.It was different then most Wayne westers'Iam not mistaking . He did not fire a shot.
    And did the same thing in SHE WORE a YELLOW RIBBON.

''baby sister i was born game and intend to go out that way.''

• This is the next JW movie I am going to rewatch !!!! Then I'm heading into the older ones... 1930's here I come !!!

Dee x