His Private Secretary (1933)

There are 26 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 25,335 times. The latest Post () was by lasbugas.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• HIS PRIVATE SECRETARY

DIRECTED BY PHIL WHITMAN
    PRODUCED BY D. J. MOUNTAN/ A.J. HOLT
    COLAM PICTURES/SCREENCRAFT PRODUCTIONS
    SHOWMANS PICTURES

Photo with the courtesy of lasbugas

INFORMATION FROM IMDb

Plot Summary
    Dick Wallace wants to marry a minister's grand-daughter but his father,
    who wants him to get work on his company's business, is opposed.
    She takes a job with the company to prove she's okay.

Full Cast
    Evalyn Knapp .... Marion Hall
    John Wayne .... Dick Wallace
    Reginald Barlow .... Mr. Wallace
    Alec B. Francis .... Rev. Hall
    Arthur Hoyt .... Little
    Natalie Kingston .... Polly
    Patrick Cunning .... Van, Polly's Brother
    Al St. John .... Garage Owner Tom
    Hugh Kidder .... Jenkins, the Butler
    Mickey Rentschler .... Joe

Writing Credits
    Lewis D. Collins story
    Jack Natteford adaptation and continuity

Cinematography
    Abe Scholtz

Goofs
    * Continuity: When Dick and Marion first meet at the gas station she is by the rear left fender of his car, talking to the attendant on the other side, yet when Dick adjusts the rear view mirror we see Marion's full face instead of a left profile. Then Marion turns her back on the mirror, but when Dick adjusts it downward, we see the front of Marion's feet and legs instead of the back. Only when the camera backs off does Marion turn around and face Dick and the mirror.

Filming Location
    New York City, New York, USA

Watch the Full Movie:-

His Private Secretary

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

Edited 12 times, last by ethanedwards ().

• His Private Secretary is a 1933 comedy film starring Evalyn Knapp and John Wayne.

I liked this film because it was creaky,over acted, and fun.
    They couldn't even get the bus tooting its horn right!!

User Review

Author: jfg1-1 from Lawrenceville, GA

This light-hearted romantic comedy. Wayne had not yet developed into the man we would know as "Duke", but he definitely had presence. There are signs, though. Near the end of the movie, where "Dick" confronts his father about the woman he married, we see a hint of what is to become.

Richard (Dick) Wallace is a playboy whose father wants him to straighten up and join the family business, but Dick only wants to have a good time. He meets Marion and falls in love with her. He trades his car for a gas station in order to stay in the town she lives in to be near her, and convinces her to marry him. But, his father will not be convinced that Marion is not a gold digger. She sets out to prove to the old man that she is different, and does. Dick, however, has not yet changed, and suffers the consequences of his folly.

"The movie is a bit choppy, and the plot is weak in places. Some of the supporting roles could have been stronger. Never-the-less, it is fun to watch John Wayne as the ne'er-do-well son of a rich man, and get his come-uppance at the hands of the preacher's granddaughter.

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

Edited 4 times, last by ethanedwards ().

• I have to say that I enjoyed this film very much, from the standpoint of a light-hearted film. Heavy and intense it is not, but it gets points for entertainment. I always enjoy plots in which someone makes negative remarks about someone else, when in reality they don't know the person well enough to say such things (and said person sets out to set the other one straight).

As you indicate, Keith, it's not one of the most outstanding efforts from John Wayne, but it works (for me, at least :D ).

Mrs. C :angel1:

• Hi Bill

It a gentle B picture lasting about 60 minutes. It is another film that shows Duke learning his trade. I guess if you are working your way through his films It is a nice one to watch.

It is also quite cheap on e bay I bought the DVD for a £1.99 the postage was dearer than the record.

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• I just did a ebay search and I see it is as Arthur says, you will pay more for postage than the DVD, but altogether you will pay around $10.

I have seen the film, and I'd say that the assessment of it being a pleasant gentle film is a right one. I liked it.

clancy

• Bill,

Sorry I didn't respond sooner, this got lost on the second page of this forum :rolleyes: .

Anyway . . . my opinion? Totally worth watching. John Wayne has a major role in the movie (not just a few minutes screen time here), and the plot is decent. I think you'll enjoy it.

Please let us know what you think, should have the opportunity to watch it.

Mrs. C :angel1:

• I thought it was a decent enough movie. Different because it is set in a contemporary time instead of in the past like most of his early movies. It has some funny moments!

[SIZE=3]That'll Be The Day[/SIZE]

• I've never seen it, and would like to. If anyone can find a copy on DvD (region 1) i'd be more than happy to pay you what you want for it (within reason of course) ;-D

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

• Hi Ringo

Private Secretary should be available on Region 1. Wasnt it a bargain buy for someone at 99 cents in a recent thread.

Mike

Hi Mike, I don't think I saw the posting about it? If it is available for .99 cents, them i'll check the $1 rack at Wal Mart next time I go there.

Thanks Jim, I need to take a peek at DDDVD to see what they have available in John Wayne movies. It's been a few months since I last bought any or made a new DvD purchase. Im starting to "get hungry" for more movies. :wink:

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

• Rather old well actually "very old and creaky". At least it has the John Wayne Lucy episode in colour on the same DVD.

Episode consists of Lucy who is really fanantically about our Duke going to studio to give contract to John Wayne from her boss. She loses the contract to a secretary but meets Duke in the canteen when he comes for break in filming for lunch. After escaping her clutches when manages to cover him in ketchup. Later,Lucy manages to get on the set of his new movie and wrecks take after take of the movie.

Nice little item from mid 1960's. Reference is made to War Wagon so that would date in around 1966/67.

Mike