There are 168 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 217,865 times. The latest Post () was by Nathan.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Hello All in one of my books about John Wayne there is mention of the animosity he felt towards Ward Bond and it quotes him in conversation with John Ford. The conversation goes something like " he's an a___ole " ( spoken by Duke ) reply by John Ford " yes but he's our a___ole " This was in the early stage of their working together. I have read the posts and unless I missed it I did not see mention of this. I liked Ward Bond in many roles and am going to have to get out my library and do some research to find this story. If memory serves Ward liked to play practical jokes and sometimes went to far for Dukes liking.

• Can anyone tell me more about Ward Bond? How did Ward and John meet and how close were they? I'm asking because I have an autographed of Ward and would like to know more about Ward. Thanks

• Can anyone tell me more about Ward Bond? How did Ward and John meet and how close were they? I'm asking because I have an autographed of Ward and would like to know more about Ward. Thanks

Hi Raabhimself!

Check out Ward Bond for loads of info. Apparently the two met at USC in the twenties.

Family rumor is that Bond was a roommate at USC with John Wayne, who convinced him to go into acting. They were apparently best friends; one of their favorite activities in their youth was to go to bars, get drunk, and start fights.

• Ok I just joined a day ago.I saw a posting saying Bond had no say in casting on WT HE sure did He had great influence, Im writing a book on my hero,Im his biggest fan well known on IMDB YT and FB ,As historian let me say its been stated Bond had a say in casting , even some liberals despite liberal slants were allowed to appear due to their acting talents and my good friend radio film great Harry von Zell who who I knew thru 150 odd typed letters 1968-81 told me as good friend scriptwriter and sometimes a player on WT that Ward Bond who he knew for years had plenty to say on casting on WT Just wanted to set the record straight. Thanks Tomk

• An interesting recent discussion here:

John Wayne shot co-star in the back and was reminded of it in his will
    Western stars John Wayne and Ward Bond made 23 films together even though The Duke once shot the other actor in a very delicate place.
    www.express.co.uk

on the Duke’s relationship with the great Ward Bond. Apparently Duke accidentally shot his friend Ward in the butt with Ward’s own shotgun. Ward, never one to bear a grudge, left the shotgun to Duke in his Will.