Rooster Cogburn (1975)

There are 109 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 119,341 times. The latest Post () was by lasbugas.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Vera;

I agree with You. Most Films are meant to be Fun to Watch, and some Films are meant to be Art. Rooster Cogburn is just Fun to Watch. :D

How can Anyone Forget Duke as "Rooster Cogburn and and His Lady Hepburn" and the Magic Between Them!!! :rolleyes:

They must of done Something Right, ;) here we are talking about the Film that was made over 30 Years Ago. :o

You can go to ROOSTER AND THE LADY For Pictures and Story. :rolleyes:

Bill :cowboy:

• Hey Vera and Bill,

I'm with you guys on this movie as well.

Most Films are meant to be Fun to Watch, and some Films are meant to be Art.

Yep, and Duke did both kinds; I enjoy them both, but watch the fun films, like "Rooster Cogburn" the most. This is to me a very good, very entertaining film. I think it's John Wayne at his comedic best.

By the way, Bill, thanks for all of the links and stories. Very interesting stuff.

Zane

• I thought that this was great and laughed as I read it.

The only trouble with Rooster Cogburn, Deputy Marchal for the U.S. District Court for the Western Division of Arkansas, having criminal jurisdiction over the Indian Nation, was that he had perfect vision: 86--12.

(The 86 was proof of Bourbon; the 12 was the percentage of Beer.)

But mind you, this was with one eye. The other, now covered by a black eye patch, was .45 at the time of it's departure.

(That was the caliber of the handgun that dispatched it to obscurity.)

But Rooster Cogburn persevered! Since he could see only half as much, he drank twice as much.

And since he could see only one at a time, he shot twice as many outlaws.

Rooster, however, put up with these small adversities and concentrated on the bigger things in life--like his belly and badmen.

He was awsome in both respects. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

• Rooster tended to be off on his geography. How did he find all those mountains and canyons in Arkansas and Oklahoma in both "Rooster Cogburn" and "True Grit?" I'm not really complaining - loved the scenery in both movies!
    Cheers - Jay:beer:

Cheers - Jay:beer:
    "Not hardly!!!"

• I hope everyone is enjoying the Film Facts, which have been compiled by Clive Woollands (member chisum2), who has given me permission to copy and paste them from his Yahoo forum. In the next week or two, he will be adding them to the respective movie thread himself, and continuing about every other week.

Here we go again. I have another film fact for you. If you have
    anything to add to these facts, please do so.

Rooster Cogburn.

Producer: Hal B. Wallis. Screenplay: Martin Julien. Cinematographer:
    Harry Stradling Jnr. Art director: Preston Ames. Composer: Laurence
    Rosenthal. Editor: Robert Swink. Costume designers: Edith Head,
    Luster Bayliss. Distribution: Universal Pictures. Location: Oregon,
    USA. Box office takings (US): $8 million. Date of production: 1975.

Jon Lormer, who plays the Reverend Goodnight, was only a year older than Katherine Hepburn, who played his daughter.

The name on the screenplay credit is Martin Julien, but that is actually a pseudonym used by producer Hal Wallis's wife, Martha Hyer.

Rooster's ill-fated deputy in the opening sequence was played by stuntman and actor Richard Farnsworth, but his scenes with Wayne were all cut. Farnsworth went on to find fame in later life as the star on The Straight Story (1999).

The film was also known as Rooster Cogburn and the Lady, a fact that has led some people to mistakenly believe that there were 3 Cogburn films and not 2.

During shooting Wayne suffered a cut eyebrow and a black eye after trying to teach his 8-year-old daughter Marisa how to swing a golf club (he didn't step back quickly enough when she tried to swing). Fortunately, the damage was to his left eye and the patch he had to wear as Rooster covered it up nicely.

• It's such a shame they took so long to make this film. If only they had filmed "Rooster Cogburn" in about 1971 then they could have made "Sometime" in 1974. As it is, Katharine Hepburn had good chemistry with Duke, even though she was far too old for her part. I think they should have made her father her brother, since they were the same age.

• I agree Quirt if they had followed up True Grit with a sequel a year later it would have been a much better movie. A stronger director and cast would have improved things tremendously as well. The movie does it have it moments but as Rooster says" it aint a patch on the original"

Mike

• i ve just watched this for the first time and thoroughly enjoyed it - loved the relationship and chemistry between john wayne and katharine hepburn, also the relationship between john wayne and the character wolf ( sorry - can t think of his real name without going back and looking) i m surprised it came so many years after true grit though. had a good balance of action, adventure and a bit of romance for the romantics amongst us. will definitely go into my top 5 duke films

"Sorry don t get it done, Dude" (Rio Bravo)

Hooked on The Duke

• The one scene i really enjoyed was when Strother Martin was giving Duke a hard time at the landing and Duke just pulled the 45 and said "Am i going to have a hard time with you?" lol, priceless.