Rooster Cogburn (1975)

There are 109 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 119,298 times. The latest Post () was by lasbugas.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Hate to hear the disparaging comments about Rooster's previous "leading lady", as I think Kim Darby's performance as Mattie is incredibly good. I find the character endlessly fascinating and Darby is pitch perfect in the role.

As for Kate, I love the way she obviously seems to be having such a good time making ROOSTER COGBURN. Her chemistry with the Duke is a joy to behold, making her character's growing affection for Rooster seem warm and convincing. Too bad the movie itself is so bland and poorly done, with terrible direction, editing, and cinematography. The first time I saw it I couldn't believe how slapdash it seemed. Only after repeat viewings have I begun to develop first a tolerance and then a liking to the film--mainly thanks to its two stars.

• Hate to hear the disparaging comments about Rooster's previous "leading lady", as I think Kim Darby's performance as Mattie is incredibly good. I find the character endlessly fascinating and Darby is pitch perfect in the role.

I'll agree with you there. I thought Kim did an excellent job in her role as Matty. If you read the book, you'll see she played it just as the part was written. I heard she wasn't pleasant to be around on the set, but she made the roll hers.

Rooster Cogburn, the film is not high on my list of favorite films, but I sure did enjoy the joining of two great legends and loved the way they played off each other. Too bad that was the only film they made together.

Mark

"I couldn't go to sleep at night if the director didn't call 'cut'. "

• I'll agree with you there. I thought Kim did an excellent job in her role as Matty. If you read the book, you'll see she played it just as the part was written. I heard she wasn't pleasant to be around on the set, but she made the roll hers.
    Rooster Cogburn, the film is not high on my list of favorite films, but I sure did enjoy the joining of two great legends and loved the way they played off each other. Too bad that was the only film they made together.
    Mark

I agree with your take on Kim as Matty, though, Rooster Cogburn, the film, is high on my list of favorite films, and, I too, did enjoy the joining of two great legends and loved the way they played off each other. Too bad that was the only film they made together. Amen, unfortunately, you can only do so many films in a year.

Chester :newyear:

• Rooster Cogburn and The Lady. Well, if there are two old folks that "work" as well as these two do together, I just can't imagine them! They both had looked forward to doing another movie together, but the proper "vehicle" was apparently never found. It would have had to be something special, because that is they way they were with each other. They both, wanted to do all of their stunts, although, of course, they were not allowed to. They DID do more than most actors would have, especially at their ages and with Duke's trouble with keeping his body oxygenated at such high altitudes.

Don't tire of watching this. Love to hear Kate's voice and Duke's rapidly deteriorating one. Shows the super stars are human like the rest of us. He had really about lost his voice when he did the Shootist. Sure wish they had gotten one more movie out. And the one that Duke was planning with Ron Howard. Well, they both left us wonderful movies, shows, etc. We can be thankful every day for that. Keith

God, she reminds me of me! DUKE

• Loved that film when it came out and still watch it today. Sure it's a western African Queen, so what, that was a great movie too. Westerns were starting to wane at that time but no one I know said anything but good about it. They just didn't pay to go see it. I see it replayed on TV once a month somewhare. I am also a fan of Tony Zerby, who I thought did a good job. But these are only my opinions.

My friend was his nurse when Duke had his knee fixed and she said his eyes were the deepest blue she ever saw and they sparkled. I asked her what he was in for and she said it was priveledged. I told her he probably wouldn't mind me telling her now but it was from kneeling down on one of those shells from the Gat-gun.

[ATTACH]2974[/ATTACH

• Rooster Cogburn and the Lady with Duke and Katherine Hepburn. A fun movie with two great actors.

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote