Brannigan (1975)

There are 128 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 219,798 times. The latest Post () was by dukefan1.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• This in my humble opinion is one of John Waynes most overlooked movies. It is sandwhiched between the awful Rooster Coburn and the reasonable but ultimately inferior McQ.

The movie is slick, well acted and directed, features a host of well known British actors and is extremly enjoyable. If you haven't watched it already make a point of doing so, and while it may not be as good as 'Dirty Harry' its certainly much better than the four 'Dirty Harry' sequels.

:agent:

Regards
    Robbie

• I think the little twists in the storyline plus the good supporting cast help this film enormously. The fact that John was also in good health and mood whilst filming played an important factor too.

Mike

• Mike

I agree again with you although I was never able to establish how Duke and Attenborough foiled the kidnappers plans and were even able to put a tracer in the building at the end.

Regards
    Robbie

• The second tracer was slipped into the suitcase of money whilst the lawyer made himself a drink. The tracking device under the car was discovered making him feel safe.

Brannigan's son (who was an lawyer) had discovered that Larkin (the gangster) and the lawyer had been wiped out finacially by some bad investment scheme.

I assume the money came from Larkin's gangster friends or was a means of getting money out of Larkin's bank accounts without it being traced.

Seemed a bit rough to cut his finger off mind you.

Mike

Mike

• Hi Mike

In the version of Brannigan that I have it is never revealed what Brannigans son told him via the telephone conversation. The scene simply ends with Brannigan stating to Swann 'I wish it were Christmas, have I got some kind of a present for you'. My version also does not show the tracker being slipped into the suitcase. Is my version short some scenes?

Regards
    Robbie

• Hi Robbie

I think Brannigan mentions Jupiter stock in the phone conversation which is later revealed to have plummented in value when the lawyer and Larkin are congratulating themselves.

The lawyer is having a drink and if you look past his left elbow you can see Brannigan slipping the tracker device in the case whilst giving a wink to Swann!!

(Only kidding!!!)

Brannigan takes a wad of money out of the briefcase. The lawyer tells him it is all there and fixes himself a drink and at some point either Brannigan or Swann have sneaked in the tracker device which flys out when the lawyer throws a wad of money to Larkin.

Hope this explains it for you. I dont have a lost version of the DVD with extras LOL

Best

Mike

• This is one my favorite John Wayne films, although it is nowhere near his best I thoroughly enjoy this movie. I can watch it many times in a row and not get tired of it, his chemistry with John Hammond is excellent they should have made more movies together. And as an added bonus The Hitman played by Daniel Pilon also terrorized Hulk Hogan in my favorite Hogan movie The Ultimate Weapon.

• This is one my favorite John Wayne films, although it is nowhere near his best I thoroughly enjoy this movie. I can watch it many times in a row and not get tired of it, his chemistry with John Hammond is excellent they should have made more movies together. And as an added bonus The Hitman played by Daniel Pilon also terrorized Hulk Hogan in my favorite Hogan movie The Ultimate Weapon.

Do you mean Richard Attenborough instead of John Hammond, as I am unaware of any actor within this movie called Hammond.

Regards
    Robbie

• I like this Film for Two Things. The First was, It was a Good Duke Shoot-Um- Up only Done in Jolly Old London, and as Duke Said "It the Same Old Story, the Good Lawman comes to Town and Takes on All The Bad Guys.
    :wink:
    And the Second was, that I sent Duke 5 Gals. of Duke's Chili For The Big Cast and Crew Party after the Film was Complete !!!
    :drinks_wine:

Chilibill
    :cowboy:

• A highly entertaining, feel good cop drama with a solid supporting cast, not of course in the same league as Dirty Harry or The French Connection but one that can be enjoyed time and again. Personally I thought this was a better film than McQ. I wish that Duke had played a policeman a few years earlier, but even at this late stage of his career he managed to pull it off.

8/10.

• I have seen this one maybe 2-3 times and never all the way through for som ereason. I do like this film and enjoy the sights and sounds of London.

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

• Hi Keith,
    It is the only Duke location I ever saw live. I saw London first, Brannigan after and it was great pleasure to see the city the same as it is in my mind.
    Regards,
    Vera