Back To Bataan (1945)

There are 46 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 60,984 times. The latest Post () was by MichaelHarrison.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• I know Duke did better war movies, like "The Longest Day" and "Sands of Iwo Jima". But "Back to Bataan" is my personal favorite of his WWII movies. It was interesting how the film featured actual participants of the battle, and how the screen writers had to make constant updates based on news from the war front, because the actual battle was going on during the writing. Of course Duke is in top form in this one.

• One of the good things about Back to Bataan is that it shows the Phillippines Resistance. Don't know many movies about them. The only I've in my mind is The great Raid with James Franco. In fact the Resistance were very strong and occupied some regions during the war. The character of Anthony Quinn was fictional.

Maybe it's not the best war movie but it's more entertaining than many others.

"You're too good to give a chance to." John Wayne as Cole Thornton in El Dorado (1966)

• One of the good things about Back to Bataan is that it shows the Phillippines Resistance. Don't know many movies about them. The only I've in my mind is The great Raid with James Franco. In fact the Resistance were very strong and occupied some regions during the war. The character of Anthony Quinn was fictional.

Maybe it's not the best war movie but it's more entertaining than many others.

What about American Guerilla In The Phillipines with Tyrone Power. Pretty darn good flick itself.

• What about American Guerilla In The Phillipines with Tyrone Power. Pretty darn good flick itself.

Have to watch this! :shades_smile:

"You're too good to give a chance to." John Wayne as Cole Thornton in El Dorado (1966)

• I just saw a few great movie stills for Back To Bataan for sale on ebay. I think im going to try for them. One pic also has Anthony Quinn in it.

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

• It's a shame that folks can't use good sense when making statements about JW movies they don't care for. BTB wasn't a bad movie at all, and while the script might seem corny by today's standards, it was "swell" in 1945! My dad, a WWII Navy veteran (USS Jerauld - APA 174) said that was the language of the day, and folks his age agree. The direction was NOT John Ford, but it wasn't Mac Sennett, either. I suppose it's just a matter of taste, but now I'm stating MY opinion! Thanks for reading!!

• This is one of my favorite Duke films as well. I thought it was a good story and also taught me about propaganda in WW2 (as in the constant brainwashing of the Phillipine people to lay down their guns)
    You need films like this to keep history alive and I thought JW was well cast in it. I ve watched it 4 times now and enjoyed it each time

"Sorry don t get it done, Dude" (Rio Bravo)

Hooked on The Duke