Cahill: United States Marshal (1973)

There are 98 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 95,313 times. The latest Post () was by Kevin.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• (SPOILERS!)

This movie was way better then I remembered and I loved this film! Elmer Bernstein's score really captured the mood of the film and it is one I wish I had on CD, and his theme here was very different from what he had done prior.

Clay O'Brien was fun to watch as he interacted with Duke, it's quite obvious that Duke loved small children and his scenes with Clay are among the best in the movie. Whenever Duke is in a scene with Clay he's got a twinkle in his eye.

Gary Grimes was kinda lightweight though, I never really felt that he was indeed hurt by his Father's absence like Clay was. Other than the fact that he was kind of washed out on screen by both Duke and George Kennedy and even little Clay, I have no other complaints.

The Opening scene remains my all time favorite for a John Wayne movie. You can totally believe that he could indeed make a 5 to 1 fight even.

Neville Brand he should have made another movie with Duke, you can honestly feel the friendship these two men have for each other and the respect is almost tangible. When Lightfoot dies you can literally feel the hatred Duke is showing on screen and his unexpressed desire for revenge.

One of the things that I picked up on this viewing was the fact in watching his face you know he knows more than he lets on about his children's role in the bank robbery. And you can plainly tell he's deeply hurt by that fact.

This movie is a dang good example of Duke's acting prowess it proves that he was always overlooked and underrated when it came to his skills as in actor. I feel that he honestly deserved an award for this film.

I knew for the longest time that Dobe was in this movie but I never could find him until last night when it hit like a haymaker from the Duke. He's the first officer that Duke meets on his way to the jail. And in terms of stupidity... I can't believe that I never found Paul Fix till last night.

I found Chuck Roberson easily enough... but those others were always hard for me to spot.

Marie Windsor looked stunning for a woman her age...

• Cahill was on this weekend. If I'd a had a brain I'd have let you all know. Sorry!

Tbone

"I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends respect me. The others can do whatever the hell they please."

• I was mistaken, Cahill will be on this weekend, the 14th, 8:00pm Eastern on ION, whatever channel that is.

Tbone

"I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends respect me. The others can do whatever the hell they please."

• Not a great JW movie I think, probably due to the lack of Duke's screen time plus I found the 2 boys that played his sons very weak

• have just watched this film and, having read that it wasn t one of his better ones, especially by his own admission, wasn t sure what to expect. personally though, i really enjoyed it. it seemed to get better as it went on and i liked the idea of having a song half way through it. was this a 70s thing in general? i thought it was a nice family film

"Sorry don t get it done, Dude" (Rio Bravo)

Hooked on The Duke

• I think it is an underated film. It is different from most JW westerns but as you say it worth watching. Apart from Cahill the film Chisum (also directed by Andrew V Mc Laglen) has a song in the middle of it. I think this trend comes from Raindrops keep falling on my Head from Butch Cassidy & The Sundance Kid.

At least they didnt get John Wayne to sing !!!

• just watched this film again and enjoyed it even more 2nd time around. i thought cahill was a good strong character who was trying to do the right thing, both for his boys and for the town. he also seems to have a good relationship and a lot of respect for the indians he works with.
    my favourite line in the film was when he was bringing the bandits back to town who had robbed a mormon and he was determined not to give them up
    [to an outlaw trying to rescue the prisoners]
    J.D. Cahill: Well, there's no use prodding around. I'm willing to die trying to keep 'em. The question is, are you willing to die trying to take 'em. Now I'm cold and hungry and wet and tired and short-tempered, so get on with it!

thanks also for the words to the song ethan - i v e only just seen them

"Sorry don t get it done, Dude" (Rio Bravo)

Hooked on The Duke

• My first impression upon seeing this on its release, was that it seemed like a "made for TV" movie. I loved he opening scenes, and wished there were more like it. I've seen it a few more times over the years, and I guess my biggest complaint is the kids. I would have preferred the story being soley on Duke & Brand tracking "bad guys". For me, that would have made a better story. I just wasn't that interested in the kids. Brand, Kennedy, Carey, et al were great as usual.

• This is actually Duke's ode to parenthood and most likely how he himself feels regarding his own supposed inadequacies as a parent and not being there for his children. Cahill, is a heartfelt look into Duke's views at parenting. Heck depending on how you look at it, it could be a slightly fictionalized take on his life as a parent.

• Not a great film but enjoyable.with old George Kennedy as a very convincing villan. The youngest son was played by Clay O'Brien who was also in the Cowboys. The other son played by Gary Grimes made a fine western called The Culpepper Cattle Company.

''baby sister i was born game and intend to go out that way.''