The Wings Of Eagles (1957)

There are 135 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 188,800 times. The latest Post () was by lasbugas.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Kind of ashamed to admit this but I only very recently saw this film for the first time. Enjoyed it greatly, another very fine performance I do tire of hearing about how Duke couldn't act. This is yet another example (and as we know there are many) of how JW was a very fine actor. The film did seem to end rather abruptly and you were left hoping things worked out, with his family.

• Kind of ashamed to admit this but I only very recently saw this film for the first time.

someday, we have many knowledgeable members,
    some of them big collectors.
    Many of us have seen as many Duke movies as there is possible to see,
    but we always welcome members at any level of knowledge,
    regardless of how many movies they own or have seen.

Being 'kind of ashamed' doesn't fit with us
    as we embrace all Duke fans.

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• Kind of ashamed to admit this but I only very recently saw this film for the first time. Enjoyed it greatly, another very fine performance I do tire of hearing about how Duke couldn't act.

Hey, We have all been there too !
    As Keith said, "Many of us have seen as many Duke movies as there is possible to see,"
    The trick, at my age, is remembering which one was which. (-;

Chester :newyear:

• :wink_smile:

Thank you. Both seem uptight! they expect to receive some remonstrances after their fight ...

:headbonk:

Unconditional's Maureen O'Hara !
    French-English translation: poor !!!
    :blush:

• This is one of my favorite JW movies. The guy could ACT!!

First time I saw it was so long ago, that I had forgotten Duke played Spig! And, I never even thought about Ward being in it......must not have recognized him.....amazing, LOL! This is one I watch a few times a year, at least! Love, the whole conglomeration of action, different happenings, etc. I still just HATE IT when Spig has the heart attack! Sure would liked for him to have gotten more real action after all it took to get him there. Seeing his old nemesis there to "send him off" made me cry more than I already was, LOL......WOMEN! KEITH

God, she reminds me of me! DUKE

• Hi

I watched The Wings of Eagles yesterday and was reminded of the following story:-

When the cast and crew went aboard the carrier on location the Electricians and other technical staff insisted that they be messed in the officers mess and agreement was reached.

Every morning the technicians asked Ford if he was going to join them and Ford always made an excuse not to. Every day the technicians complained that the officers food wasn't very good.

Eventually they learned that Ford was going for breakfast in the Chief Petty Officers mess as he had learned long ago that in general the crew ate better than the officers.

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• LOL, Arthur, One of my long term boyfriends was the youngest CPO in WWII. He told me that same thing, and he was largely responsible as a lot of CPOs were.....they were excellent scroungers and traders. If they loved their commanding officer, his mess shared in the booty...otherwise, the crew got it! Great stories Willy P. had, and they are all written down just awaiting a book. He also drove NYC Mayor Lindsay....some REALLY good ones there, LOL! Thanks, I will add this to Willy's research....it will make a nice addition to backing up his story. Keith

• i have'nt seen this film in over 20 years,and i didnt really like it.i taught it was the weakest of wayne and ford's films.so i'll have to watch it again as when you get older you do see films different as you would have when you were younger

• Well, Rin GO, This time, you are a man and remember, a REAL man can have emotions and yes, can even cry right out in the open! So, use your emotions and also, realize that this is a true story. When I saw this as a youngster, I would go around the house saying, "I'm gonna move that toe, oh boy, I'm gonna move that toe" in the singsongy voice they eventually got to. When the toe moved, I cried.....still do to this day. This is one fantastic story about a determined, unbelievably incredible man and the friendships he developed even outside of his service that went to great efforts to not only KEEP him in the service, but eventually get him his own command back on board a ship of war, (probably saying this wrong...my Navy Mom would KILL me), although it was against just about every regulation there was. Ward Bond played who was meant to be Pappy Ford, and used all of Pappy's props. This man, Spig, went on to write screen plays for Pappy and other books.
    He also, after all that to get him aboard, had to leave because of.......well, 20 years, I wont tell you....you will see. Cried there too, LOL.

Give it a good shot RK, it is one Heck of a fine movie! And remember, it is basically true! Keith