Rio Bravo (1959)

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Your view is limited. Please register to the JWMB to access all features.

There are 149 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by lasbugas.

• Re: Rio Bravo (1959)

Thanks for those additional photos. I am still not convinced about your theory because this is in my opinion a different glass as than the one the blood drips into.

The gunman actually looks a bit like Alan Ladd and remember the film in which he shoots a bad guy from a loft.

Incidentally how did you get hold of these interesting little photos from Rio Bravo?

:agent:
      Regards
      Robbie

I put the DVD in my computer DVD player, start the movie in either Nero Showtime or Cyberlink PowerDVD and pause it at the specific frame then use the capture portion of the software. Open the capture in a program like Paint Shop Pro or Adobe Photoshop, then manipulate it or save it under a common image format (jpg, gif, tif, bmp, etc.) and then place the images on an online hosting service. I'm a computer guru, been doing this stuff for 20+ years. All it takes if the right equipment, software and knowledge.

I bet if you took the images and put them in a computer aided design program the angle of the shot wouldn't put him above the bar. There were a lot of mistakes and errors like this in all the westerns. They did what they had to back then, today they call it computer generated.

I purchased the 2 disc special collector edition of Rio Bravo DVD as HMV had an offer and I wanted to see Hawks documentary.

DVD is remastered the colours do look stronger and more vivid.

The Hawks documentary covers his career from Dawn Patrol to Rio Bravo and is about 1 hour in length with clips and discussion about a number of films from older footage of Hawks and directors John Carpenter and Walter Hill supplying input. Red River and Rio Bravo are the only Wayne movies shown.

Other documentaries on the set are making of Rio Bravo featurette which is 40 minutes in length featuring Angie Dickinson, John Carpenter and Walter Hill.

The John Wayne trailers mentioned seems to be just Rio Bravo.

Nice little edition

Mike

Disc 1
      Remastered feature film
      Commentary by John Carpenter and Richard Schickel (Renowned director Carpenter and film critic Schickel explore how this legendary Western was an extension of Hawks' own personality and why it's considered such an influential classic today)
      Wayne trailer gallery
      Disc 2
      "The Men Who Made the Movies: Howard Hawks" (1973 documentary)
      "Commemoration: Howard Hawks' Rio Bravo" featurette
      "Old Tucson: Where the Legends Walked" featurette

This is an excellent article about Howard Hawks. I know it's about Rio Bravo and John Wayne but did concern more about Hawks. Excellent article! I really enjoyed it. Hope others read it as well.

Cheers :cool:

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"
      - John Wayne quote

It turns out I do have an image of the poster for this film, but it was misnamed on the CD (listed under Rio Lobo, and I even inadvertently posted it in that thread, removing it after someone pointed out the error; but I never got around to posting it here . . . until now :wink_smile:).

Rio Lobo-poster.jpg

This is a real classic, although personally I prefer El Dorado which I thought had a better pace. Also Mitchum and Caan were better actors than Dino and Ricky. I think this might have been improved if Dean Martin had played the romantic lead, because at 51 Duke was clearly too old for Angie.

8/10.