The Quiet Man (1952)

There are 470 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 384,188 times. The latest Post () was by Tbone.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• I got an e-mail myself. Can't go, but it's a treat to see that they will have a viewing of The Quiet Man. I'm under the impression that it could be the number 1 movie in Ireland. Robbie, I hope you will keep us informed on that when the time comes.

As for the minister and his wife. If you recall earlier when the minister talked to Sean Thornton about his problem, and the concern from the minister, he told Thornton that he hopes he will be around, but his numbers are very low and he was in danger of closing the church's doors. So the way I see it, I believe that the town's people were there in support of the minister, and just being good Protestants.

Just my opinion.

Cheers B)

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote

• Well, Can you guess which film I voted for? The Quiet Man, of course. But now I'll have to set down and watch it again. What a wonderful movie! I've read Maureen O'Hara's autobiography and she has some interesting stories about The Quiet Man. I'll always wonder what she whispered in John Wayne's ear there near the end! Well, now I'll put on my comfy Aran sweater and pop open a Guinness and relax with Duke, Maureen, Ward, and all the rest.

Slan Agus Beannacht!
    Colorado Bob

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them" It may be time worn, but it's the best life-creed I know.

• Hi all,
    I watched The Quiet Man again yesterday evening and enjoyed it greatly - it is one of my favorites. And after that I have read all interesting storys that you posted and storys by Maureen posted by Chilibill. And I voted too, but I think it is late. I never thought about any politics seeing this film.
    Regards,
    Vera

• THE QUIET MAN

PRODUCED BY MERIAN C. COOPER
    DIRECTED BY JOHN FORD
    MUSIC BY VICTOR YOUNG
    AN ARGOSY PRODUCTION
    A REPUBLIC PICTURE

3868f.jpg

INFORMATION FROM IMDb

Plot Summary

Sean Thornton has returned from America to reclaim his homestead and escape his past.
    Sean's eye is caught by Mary Kate Danaher, a beautiful but poor maiden,
    and younger sister of ill-tempered "Red" Will Danaher.
    The riotous relationship that forms between Sean and Mary Kate,
    punctuated by Will's pugnacious attempts to keep them apart, form the main plot,
    with Sean's past as the dark undercurrent.

Summary written by Steve Fenwick

Writing credits
    Maurice Walsh (story Green Rushes)

Frank S. Nugent (screenplay)

Full Cast

John Wayne .... Sean Thornton
    Maureen O'Hara .... Mary Kate Danaher
    Barry Fitzgerald .... Michaleen Oge Flynn
    Ward Bond .... Father Peter Lonergan
    Victor McLaglen .... Squire 'Red' Will Danaher
    Mildred Natwick .... The Widow Sarah Tillane
    Francis Ford .... Dan Tobin
    Eileen Crowe .... Mrs. Elizabeth Playfair
    May Craig .... Fishwoman with basket at station
    Arthur Shields .... Rev. Cyril 'Snuffy' Playfair
    Charles B. Fitzsimons .... Hugh Forbes (as Charles FitzSimons)
    James O'Hara .... Father Paul (as James Lilburn)
    Sean McClory .... Owen Glynn
    Jack MacGowran .... Ignatius Feeney (Squire Daniher's handyman) (as Jack McGowran)
    Joseph O'Dea .... Molouney (train guard)
    Eric Gorman .... Costello (engine driver)
    Kevin Lawless .... Train fireman
    Paddy O'Donnell .... Railway porter
    Frank Baker .... Man in bar (uncredited)
    Tony Canzoneri .... Boxing second (uncredited)
    Maureen Coyne .... Dan Tobin's daughter (Ireland) (uncredited)
    Ken Curtis .... Dermot Fahy (uncredited)
    Mimi Doyle .... Dan Tobin's daughter (USA) (uncredited)
    Douglas Evans .... Ring physician (uncredited)
    Robert Foy .... Driver of cart across river (uncredited)
    Sam Harris .... General (uncredited)
    D.R.O. Hatswell .... Guppy (uncredited)
    John Horan .... Man at railway station (uncredited)
    David Hughes .... Police constable (uncredited)
    Billy Jones .... Bugler (uncredited)
    Tiny Jones .... Nell (uncredited)
    Colin Kenny .... Pub extra (uncredited)
    Mae Marsh .... Father Paul's mother (uncredited)
    Jim McVeigh .... Man following cart across river (uncredited)
    Jim Morrin .... Roof thatcher (uncredited)
    Al Murphy .... Boxing referee (uncredited)
    Michael O'Brian .... Musha Musha man (uncredited)
    Frank O'Connor .... Ringside photographer (uncredited)
    Pat O'Malley .... Man in bar (uncredited)
    Web Overlander .... Hugh Bailey (stationmaster) (uncredited)
    Bob Perry .... Trooper Thorn's ringside trainer (uncredited)
    Jack Roper .... Tony Godello (boxer) (uncredited)
    Philip Stainton .... Anglican bishop (uncredited)
    Harry Tenbrook .... Police Sgt. Hanan (uncredited)
    Harry Tyler .... Pat Cohan (publican) (uncredited)
    Melinda Wayne .... Girl on wagon at horse race (uncredited)
    Michael Wayne .... Teenage boy at races (uncredited)
    Patrick Wayne .... Boy on wagon at horse race (uncredited)
    Toni Wayne .... Teenage girl at races (uncredited)

Stunts

Joe Fair .... riding double: John Wayne (uncredited)
    Fred Kennedy .... stunts (uncredited)
    Bob Morgan .... stunts (uncredited)
    Terry Wilson .... stunts (uncredited)

Filming Locations

Ashford Castle, County Mayo, Ireland

Cong, County Mayo, Ireland

Oughterard, County Galway, Ireland

Trivia

* Barry Fitzgerald and Arthur Shields are brothers.

* Only two weeks of the production was spent in Ireland
    because the local hotels couldn't accommodate the American crew.

* Cohan's Pub in the movie is, in reality, a grocery store,
    but when the film turned out to be very popular they never bothered to remove the facade used in the film.

* According to an interview in the "Los Angeles Times" on 28 October 2000,
    Maureen O'Hara recounted that she, John Ford and John Wayne had a handshake agreement in 1944 to produce this film.
    When John Ford pitched the idea to Hollywood producers, he was told that it was a "silly Irish story that won't make a penny".
    Wayne had a contract with Republic Pictures and approached Republic studio chief Herbert J. Yates ("...a step down for John Ford," he says),
    he was told that the script was a silly Irish tale that would make no money. However,
    Yates would relent if Wayne, Ford and O'Hara together would make a western for Republic,
    a sure money-maker that would pay for Republic's projected loss in producing this picture.
    The picture that was made as a result of the agreement was Rio Grande (1950).

* A replica of the famous thatched cottage in the movie is located at Maam Cross
    , County Galway, in the west of Ireland.

* During the scene where John Wayne first kisses 'Maureen OHara, she slaps his face.
    When he blocked the blow, she broke a bone in her hand.

* When the film was first screened in Boston, Mass., Michaleen Flynn's line on seeing the broken bed,
    "Impetuous! Homeric!", was censored.

* Since the movie was being filmed in sequential order,
    and 'Maureen OHara broke her hand in one of the earlier scenes filmed, she couldn't have a cast to fix the broken bone.

* As of September 2003, Cohan's Pub is no longer a grocery store but strictly a souvenir shop
    specializing in "Quiet Man" keepsakes. The original owner is still the proprietor and is willing to share memories of the filming of the movie.

* The famous fight scene was shot in the grounds of Ashford castle, Cong, County Mayo.
    The stunt in which John Wayne punches Victor McLaglen into the river was performed by director John Ford's son,
    Patrick Ford (doubling for Victor McLaglen).

* The station used in the opening sequence and during the scene where John Wayne
    slams the train doors looking for 'Maureen OHara later in the film is Ballyglunin station,
    south of the town of Tuam, Co. Galway. It looks the same today as it did in 1951,
    when the film was shot (although released in 1952).
    The only major difference is that the bridge which crosses the railway tracks is now gone.
    This bridge was moved to Ballinasloe station, East Galway (where it still stands today), after Ballyglunin closed down as a main line.

* The horse racing sequence was shot at Lettergesh beach, Connemara, on the west coast of Ireland.

* At the film's conclusion, after the "Curtain Call" credits,
    we see Kate and Sean standing in their garden waving good-bye. 'Maureen OHara turns to John Wayne and whispers something in his ear,
    evoking a priceless reaction from Duke. What was said was known only to O'Hara, Wayne, and director John Ford.
    In exchange for saying this unscripted bit of text, O'Hara insisted that the exact line never be disclosed by any involved parties.
    The line remains a mystery to this day.

* When Sean and Mary Kate take their wagon into town a store called "Emily O'Connor" can be seen in the background. This is actually a crafts store and is still in business to this day.

* This was a significant departure for Republic Pictures, who were more used to producing Westerns and war movies on low budgets. It was their first and only film to receive an Academy Award nomination for Best Picture.

* John Ford first read the story in 1933 and purchased the film rights for a mere $10. It took him another 12 years to actually drum up enough financing.

* One of the few Hollywood movies in which you can hear spoken Gaelic.

* Maureen O'Hara did her own singing.

* The last line of the wedding toast was censored by Republic Pictures. It should have said "May their days be long and full of happiness. May their children be many and full of health. And may they live in peace and ....freedom". The word "national" was removed as Republic didn't wish to offend any audience members who might have been sensitive to the political upheavals then taking place in the newly independent Republic of Ireland.

* Green, the national color of Ireland, can be seen somewhere in every shot in this film, but not on any of the actors' costumes.

Goofs

* Continuity: When Mary Kate and Sean drive to town in the buggy, the horn is on the left hand side of the bulkhead.
    When Mary Kate interrupts the father fly fishing after storming off, it has moved to the right side.

* Continuity: When Sean Thornton first introduces himself to the bar and they start to sing "Wild Colonial Boy",
    the accordion player acquires a hat between shots.

* Continuity: After church, when Sean dips his hand in the holy water and says "good morning" to Mary Kate,
    her hair is alternately tucked in/hanging out between shots.

* Audio/visual unsynchronized: When they are singing "Wild Colonial Boy" for the second time (after Will and Feeney leave),
    their mouths are moving slower than the song that they're supposed to be singing.

* Continuity: When Michaleen Flyn first asks if Mary Kate is willing to marry,
    the glass and the bottle switch position between shots.

* Audio/visual unsynchronized: During the fight, the last time Sean gets the bucket of water thrown on him, we hear him say,
    "Thanks," but his lips never move.

* Factual errors: The pipers playing before the big horse race are playing Scottish bagpipes,
    not the Irish uilleann pipes. Scottish pipes are blown into, Irish pipes are pumped up with a bellows under the right elbow.

* Continuity: Towards the end of the movie when all the town folk are along the road waving at the car passing by,
    the car twice passes by the "IRA" member. He can be seen standing on the side of the road in his bright blue shirt.

* Errors in geography: At the horse race there is a sign that says "Inishfree race meet". In Ireland they are called race meetings not meets.

* Continuity: When Sean Thorton is working on his house, the ladder leaning against the roof moves back and forth between sections of the house.

* Continuity: John Wayne's wedding ring is clearly visible before he even meets Mary Kate Danniher.
    It is most clearly seen while he is remembering his mother's words before introducing himself to Michaleen.

* When Sean and Mary Kate take their wagon into town a store called "Emily O'Connor"
    can be seen in the background. This is actually a crafts store and is still in business to this day.

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• Hi,

[ATTACH]258]

Well what can you say about this charming film,
    that is so well loved, by the majority of fans.
    It is a pleasure, to watch, from beginning to end,
    and featured, all the stars and character actors we are all
    so fond of.
    I know this film has been discussed in various guises, many times,
    but now there is chance to discuss, it in its correct forum.

Originally posted by ethanedwards@Jan 21 2006, 04:13 PM
    I know this film has been discussed in various guises, many times,
    but now there is chance to discuss, it in its correct forum.

[snapback]25612[/snapback]

How right you are, Keith.

Here's a link to one of those previous discussions from The Trading Post.

And then there's this.

Chester :newyear:

• Hello everybody
    I am a new member from Sweden who is a big The Quiet Man Maniac who are very interested of all things about that movie including all places there they made that movie in Ireland. I saw in etandward’s Trivia for The Quiet Man, that was written they only spent two weeks in Ireland. I am sorry but that is not that true I known. They arrived Ireland June 5, and begin work the June 6. They was working further in Ireland and took the last scene 11,00 am the July14. They were going back to United States July 17. All that and much more can you read in the book “In the Footsteps of The Quiet Man” by Gerry McNee and Professor Des MacHales two books.
    Len

• Hej in Svensk, lenrehn,
    and WELCOME
    to the JWMB,
    I believe, you are the very first one from Sverige,
    I am sure you will meet many friends,on this board,
    and I hope you enjoy it here.
    Thanks for your input, for that's exactly what these discussions,
    are all about, to review and exchange information.
    All our knowledge is obtained, from different sources,
    most is correct, some not.
    However, we have to start somewhere, and it's up to ourselves,
    to discuss the merits of each review.
    Thanks for you post,

Tack for era posta

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• Hallo again
    The Quiet Man is my absolute favorite movie and I have search after all fact I could find about that lovely movie. And that is very much. I have that motion picture in both Region 1 and 2 DVD versions and even an old video from 1987. All things I am doing have something with TQM to do. And that is even so that movie has taught me that little English i can to day. And that is not so much as i have desire.
    Tack så mycket.
    Len

• I saw the film "The Quiet Man" the first time in the early 1950s and I do not Remember Duke Hitting Maureen with a Stick. I also have it on D.V.D. and a Very old V.H.S. Tape and I did not see that on them. :rolleyes:

Below is a story told by Maureen about the making of "The Quiet Man" and she does not talk about the Stick and I think that she would have! :lol:

MAKING OF QUIET MAN

Chilibill :cowboy:

• Keith,
    You are the very first person to say anything about the horn being in two different positions. I noticed that a few years ago and have wondered why they would do something like that. I had wondered if it slid freely from one side to the other. I came across this when I was doing research for Five Miles To Castletown. Good for you Keith.
    Bryan

• Here's something you may not have known. the man who's always in the bright blue shirt and beret, the one who just before the big fight, when asked by McGlaglen if the IRA is in on this too and answers, "if it were, not an unscorched stone of your house wuld be still standing", is Maureen O'Haras brother. I think his name is Charles Fitzsimons, though I could be wrong.

• I have some information about the railway between Tuam and Athenry who is under restoring. The railway station Ballyglunin (Castletown in the movie) is even that under restoring and all will be reopened in the ending of this year. Pat Cohan bar is under re building and will serve that first bear under this year, but there are some difficult when The Quiet Man Movie Club have talking about 2005 but one other site tells about 2006. I hope that will happen in June or July 2006.

:D