The Quiet Man (1952)

There are 470 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 383,480 times. The latest Post () was by Tbone.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Looks like you guys had fun.

Too bad there is nothing like that around here.

Esther, maybe you can promote a couple screenings in the Minnesota area, in the summer time of course :)

Life is hard, its even harder when your stupid!!
    -John Wayne

• Thanks for sharing the story and the pictures, Chester. I wish I could have seen that movie on the big screen amoung other fans. Looking at the pic of you and your wife, it is exactly the proportion of size difference between my wife and I. What is it about us large men that prefer the tiny ones? :blink: Maybe 'cause they can't wallop us as hard :D Hee hee.

Love the outfit there, Pilgrim.

Mark

"I couldn't go to sleep at night if the director didn't call 'cut'. "

• Those pictures were great, Chester and the Mrs. - Chester, you do look amazingly like Duke in your Western gear and the Mrs. looks right in place there next to you.
    Seeing "The Quiet Man" on the big screen when vintage movies are rarely seen in such a context these days has got to be something very memorable.
    Cheers - Jay :D

Cheers - Jay:beer:
    "Not hardly!!!"

• Chester & The Mrs. Thanks for showing the photo's as well as telling us what happened. Here in Corpus Christi, there is a group of people who are thinking of restoring an old theater located on Chapperal Street here in Corpus Christi. I think it is called the Ritz Theater, and was built I think around the 1920's or so. The group has been in the news lately saying that they might need some help in the restoration of this place. It's estimated to cost around $6 Million or so. Anyway, they are planning on only showing classic movies there as well.

Best regards -- C.

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

• Jim;

Great picture of You and Mrs C., I love it!!! :wub: I sure wish that I had My little Sweetheart Martha Back with Me, but now I will have to be Happy with My Airplane and The 26 Bar Ranch. :rolleyes: I can hardly wait to meet You and Mrs. C Face to Face some day. :jump:

Bill :cowboy:

• Does anyone know whether "The Quiet Man" DVD has been discontnued or pulled to prepare a new restored version. My brother-law decided to purcchase a copy, but cannot find it anywhere. The only place I can find it is on the second hand markets-no one seems to have a new copy. Thanks.

• JoeM,

First of all, we would like to welcome you to the John Wayne Message Board! You will be hard pressed to find one better on the Internet. There are many great sites devoted to Duke, but as far as message boards go, we have found this to be the best!

As to your question about The Quiet Man on DVD, it seems it might not be readily available, except used. I checked out Deep Discount DVD, and they have movie posters available for the movie, but not the movie itself. Amazon has it "used and new", starting at $14.99, but only available through outside vendors. You could check ebay, but I strongly suggest you do not buy anything from China or Singapore, as those are likely to be copies. Though I haven't researched it this morning, it seems I remember some brief discussion regarding the quality of this film on DVD, and that it wasn't that good. So perhaps you are right, maybe there is a new release in the future. I know there are others here who regularly check out web sites for new releases and perhaps they will report their findings here.

Just as a thought, many public libraries have DVDs available for borrowing, and that might be a way to at least see the movie without a major cash outlay.

Again, we welcome you to the JWMB, and hope you will give us a chance to get to know you better.

Chester :newyear: and the Mrs. :angel1:

• As has already been discussed many times on this site, Paramount purchased the rights to the Republic film library last year. They have discontinued the Republic DVD's, and will likely release them under their own banner sometime in the future.

"I am not intoxicated - yet." McLintock!

Originally posted by CoriSCapnSkip@Feb 9 2006, 12:59 AM
    I also asked, since there is one song titled "Isle of Innisfree" by Richard Farrelly, and another, (The) "Lake Isle of Innisfree" by William Butler Yeats, but no "Lovely Isle of Innisfree" that I've been able to find, which one he was thinking of.

Yeats' poem is the one which inspired the name of the village in the movie, and the song. From the collection Rose 1893. A piece of trivia: Clint Eastwood reads a bit of this poem in his film "Million dollar baby".

The Lake Isle Of Innisfree

I will arise and go now, and go to Innisfree,
    And a small cabin build there, of clay and wattles made:
    Nine bean-rows will I have there, a hive for the honeybee,
    And live alone in the bee-loud glade.

And I shall have some peace there, for peace comes dropping slow,
    Dropping from the veils of the morning to where the cricket sings;
    There midnight's all a glimmer, and noon a purple glow,
    And evening full of the linnet's wings.

I will arise and go now, for always night and day
    I hear lake water lapping with low sounds by the shore;
    While I stand on the roadway, or on the pavements grey,
    I hear it in the deep heart's core.

I don't believe in surrenders.

• The Quiet Man is one of my absolute favorite movies ever. I own the DVD and watch it every time it comes on tv. Being that I'm of Irish ancestry, I feel a strong kinship with this film. The story is wonderful, the photography is beautiful, and the characters are perfect.

Then there's the legendary fight scene. I think it's the best I've seen in any movie.

This movie is perfect in every way.

- cchoate

• Something happened in the posting so apologies if this comes out repeated.

I have 2 questions about the Quiet Man.

The first is does anyone know what breed of horse it is that Barry Fitzgerald is driving in the fil? The horse's name is Napoleon.

The other quest is does anyone know what book Fr. Paul is reading from when he is visiting the death bed of the character played by Francis Ford?

Thanks,

Tbone

"I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends respect me. The others can do whatever the hell they please."

Originally posted by Tbone@May 29 2006, 02:45 PM
    The first is does anyone know what breed of horse it is that Barry Fitzgerald is driving in the fil? The horse's name is Napoleon.

I don't know, but it looks a lot like Irish Draught, the old type, as seen in old pictures

I don't believe in surrenders.

• I believe that horse is what they will call them in Ireland, Connemara pony. That horse type is only exciting in Ireland. There is one internet site who is telling us about that book Father Paul Lonergan is reading from, but I can’t remember whish, I am sorry for that. You can search under name “The Quiet Man (1952) in the net, but look up for virus!

Originally posted by etsija@May 30 2006, 05:12 AM
    I don't know, but it looks a lot like Irish Draught, the old type, as seen in old pictures

[snapback]31679[/snapback]

That's what I was wondering but I wasn't sure about the amount of feather on the hoofs.

It's strange, and sad, that the Irish Draught was the horse of the peasant farmer in Ireland and now you can't touch one for under $15,000. I'd like to be able to work a small farm with them but I don't think I'd be able to afford it.

Tbone

"I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends respect me. The others can do whatever the hell they please."

• This date the June 6 is a memorable date for us who is The Quiet Man maniacs. It was in that date the first movie shooting been made and it was that date the film had World Premier in Adelphi Cinema in Dublin.

• I just love John Wayne and Maureen O'Hara's chemistry in this movie. I can watch it over and over again. He was so sexy in this movie and my favourite quote is about "there'll be no locks and bolts between us Mary Kate..." and the broken bed! :lol:

I want to buy it on VHS.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    JohnWayne-ly Yours, Pilgrim

TEECEE

• The graveyard scene was one of the most famous film love scene in film history and John Ford was description that scene as that most sexually scene in all time. But John Wayne and Maureen O’Hara was description that as a really soaker.
    I saw amazon.com have The Quiet Man in VHS.

• Hard choice, but The Quiet Man is my all time favorite Duke movie. It is funny and romantic and manly all at the same time. One of my favorite lines is in this movie.
    Thorton: "If you say three, mister, you'll never hear the man count ten" Love it. Maureen is beautiful, as always.

• Here comes one other wonderful speak from Mr speaker himself.
    Those were the bad days. Sean with a face as dark as the black hunter he rode. A fine, ill-tempered pair they were. It was only a matter of time before one or the other broke his neck. We knew things couldn’t go on this way. So, we formed a little conspiracy. The Reverend Mr and Mrs Playfair, Michaeleen Oge and, saints forgive us, myself. And on the day of the Inisfree Races, we sprung the trap on Red Will Danaher.