The Quiet Man (1952)

There are 470 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 385,132 times. The latest Post () was by Tbone.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• From everything I've read, the two DVDs of The Quiet Man are both pretty bad looking. The elements exist to restore the film but no one wants to do so. A blu-ray won't happen until and unless there is a restoration. And right now even The Alamo (which is falling apart) can't get a restoration, so I don't hold out much hope for The Quiet Man.

Speaking of which... according to the gossip columns of the day, Ben Johnson was supposed to have a role in the movie! Can't figure out which character he could have played as I can't see him in The Quiet Man at all. But it didn't happen -- whether it was because of his fall-out with John Ford or because even earlier Ford had realized he wasn't right for the movie, I don't know.

• I have the DVD "Collector's Edition" and I regret that the image quality is not at the top. :vomit:
    I hope that before the success of the cult film, a publisher will release a DVD with images correct.

The Quiet Man was released on DVD in Japan by Tohokushinsha Film Corp. I don't know about the print quality but the company is known for its high standards.

Unfortunately the DVD, released in 2006, is out of print. I actually had it on order but was informed a month later that it's no longer available.

• :wink_smile:

In the form of two 14-minute video, I propose to introduce to those who have not seen or have forgotten, the "Making of" film "The Quiet Man" released in 1992.
    Many little secrets are updated and we understand better the history of this great movie.

Thank you, Mr. Leonard Maltin

This is the first episode

and the second and final episode

Unconditional's Maureen O'Hara !
    French-English translation: poor !!!
    :blush:

Edited 6 times, last by Romy ().

The Joy of Ireland

More recent document, since it dates from 2002, we follow many interwiews of Maureen O'Hara and of the son of Victor McLaglen, Andrew, second assistant director at the time.
    Both tell many important details about the filming.
    Happy reading.

Video 1

Video 2

I just found a German version of the trailer for the film "The Quiet Man".
    Curiously, the German title that was given to him (THE CAT WITH THE RED HAIR) has nothing to do with the original title ...
    I leave you only judge to appreciate this version. Personally I prefer the voice of Maureen and Duke.

• No need to say that the movie HAS TO BE RESTORED for the next DVD release... Picture and sound are so bad.

I watched The Quiet Man again for the Duke´s birthday and had a wonderful evening with it. I remember, I saw The Quiet Man for the first time as I was 13 or 14 years old, and I did not like it at that time (but I loved all the other John Wayne movies, I have seen as a child). The older I get, the more I like The Quiet Man. It is typical Irish, I would say, and it has a lot of humor and Maureen O´Hara´s acting is fantastic!

It´s the same with Rio Grande. I liked Rio Grande, even as a child, but it was not my favourite of the Cavalry Trilogy. My favourite still is She Wore a Yellow Ribbon. But over the last years I liked Rio Grande more and more...

I don´t know, how You all think about that, but maybe for movies like The Quiet Man or Rio Grande, You have to have some experience in life to recognize them as the treasures they are.

"Never apologize. It´s a sign of weakness."

Edited once, last by Dukesfan ().

• I have had the same feeling, that as we grow older and experience more in life, movies take on a much different meaning to us. I've gotten to where I can't say that any particular movie of John Wayne's is #1; I could put four or five that I like the most and put them in a hat and pick one, and be just as happy with the choice, and watch it.

Regarding the need for the movie to be restored - usually, at the annual birthday celebration hosted by the John Wayne Birthplace, one of the 'gifts' that comes with the dinner ticket is a DVD of the movie being honored for that weekend, but this time there was not, and it's because it wasn't available from the studio in large quantity, and everyone is hoping it might be because it is being restored/remastered for release later this year.

• There was no official word on anything about The Quiet Man? I mean, no word on a DVD/Blu-ray release, or maybe getting on the film registry or anything?

I would think that someone there would have some information on that movie. I bet it was good to see on the silver screen.

Cheers :cool: Hondo

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote

• There was no official word on anything about The Quiet Man? I mean, no word on a DVD/Blu-ray release, or maybe getting on the film registry or anything?

I would think that someone there would have some information on that movie. I bet it was good to see on the silver screen.

Cheers :cool: Hondo

Just to add to the mix. I have 2 different copies of The Quiet Man on DVD from the UK and both are really bad quality.
    I can't quite understand why this is the case as there are so many other films of the same age, and older, that have suffered much less.
    I have distant memories of watching it on TV many moons ago and I'm sure it was better then! Could well be nostalgia though!

"Pour yourself some backbone and shut up!"

• Slightly off topic but at least in roughly the right thread!
    Does anyone know what style and make of cap the Duke wears in The Quiet Man?
    I've bought a few over the last couple of years but they are all smaller and not quite right.

I'm glad I caught this thread and didn't buy the "collectors edition" of The Quiet Man as it sounds no better than the UK version.

I've bought a few over the last couple of years but they are all smaller and not quite right.

Here is an online company that sells Irish Jeff Caps.

Chester :newyear:

I'm glad I caught this thread and didn't buy the "collectors edition" of The Quiet Man as it sounds no better than the UK version.

Flat cap, Dai cap, Golf cap, Ivy cap, Scally cap, "Grandpa Harrity cap" or, in Scotland, Bunnet.

Attached....pic of Wayne with cap, then the same cap sold at a john Wayne Memorabilia Auction a couple of months ago....

• Flat cap, Dai cap, Golf cap, Ivy cap, Scally cap, "Grandpa Harrity cap" or, in Scotland, Bunnet.

Attached....pic of Wayne with cap, then the same cap sold at a john Wayne Memorabilia Auction a couple of months ago....

Thanks for the info. Much appreciated.
    Proves how observant I am as I ordered the DVD and catalogue of the John Wayne auction by heritage auctions and did even notice this in there!
    The postage for the catalogue and DVD was astronomical! Way more than the items themselves! At the end, still worth it as its a fantastic visual record of the Duke's costumes etc.

• Flat cap, Dai cap, Golf cap, Ivy cap, Scally cap, "Grandpa Harrity cap" or, in Scotland, Bunnet.

Any idea how much that cap sold for at auction? Quite a bit, I'd imagine.

Thanks, Marty, for those pics!

• On the internet wih a google search found a forum called, The Fedora Lounge > Apparel > Hats > The Quiet Man's cap, was a post back in '09, by a Brad Bowers, where he said,

"Some historical background:

Wayne's cap was a Cavanagh, bought from the shop on Park Avenue. John Cavanagh was reportedly pleased that Wayne was observed to take good care of his cap during the film.

I've never found out if his other hats in the film were Cavanagh, but it wouldn't surprise me.

You could always buy one of the new Cavanagh caps. Not screen accurate, but the thread of history is there".

I've gone to Cavanagh's web site, and others, but haven't found a similar fabric yet.

Chester :newyear:

• Chester,
    Hugely helpful and informative as ever.
    Thanks again, I'll let you know how I get on.
    Dooley