The Quiet Man (1952)

There are 470 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 383,589 times. The latest Post () was by Tbone.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Watched TQM again. Thanks so much Jim. Now, is it OK for me to put the link to it on all the things I post on my FB page for WHITE O MORN? Lots of the folks I have talked to have never seen it?

Thanks again, and I am looking forward to watching the others after work in the shop.

KPKEITH

God, she reminds me of me! DUKE

• Just saw The Quiet Man will be released on bluray on January 22, 2013. Here is the Info on this movie and yes I am excited for the finally release date for this movie. And there is more on the process that will maybe excite you on this release of this movie.

Newly re-mastered in HD from a 4K SCAN of the ORIGINAL NEGATIVE. John Ford's The Quiet Man celebrates one of Hollywood's most romantic and enduring epics. The first American feature to be filmed in Ireland's picturesque countryside. Ford richly imbued this masterpiece with his love of Ireland and its people. Sean Thornton (John Wayne) in an American boxer who swears off fighting after he accidentally kills an opponent in the ring. Returning to the Irish town of his youth, he purchases the home of his birth and finds happiness when he falls in love with the fiery Mary Kate (Maureen O'Hara). But her insistence that Sean conduct his courtship in a proper Irish manner with matchmaker Barry Fitzgerald along for the ride as "chaperone" is but one obstacle to their future happiness: the other is her brother (Victor McLaglen), who spitefully refuses to give his consent to their marriage, or to honor the tradition of paying a dowry to the husband. Sean could care less about dowries, he would've punched out the bullying McLaglen long ago if he hadn't sworn off fighting. But when Mary Kate accuses him of being a coward and walks out on him, Sean is finally ready to take matters into his own hands, the resulting fistfight erupts into the longest brawl ever filmed, followed by one of the most memorable reconciliations in movie history! The Quiet Man won a total of two Academy Awardsr including Best Director (Ford) and Best Cinematography and received five more nomination including Best Picture, Best Screenplay and Best Supporting Actor (McLaglen).

Is this a good thing? Very excited.

Cheers :cool: Hondo

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote

• Just saw The Quiet Man will be released on bluray on January 22, 2013. Here is the Info on this movie and yes I am excited for the finally release date for this movie. And there is more on the process that will maybe excite you on this release of this movie.

Is this a good thing? Very excited.

Cheers :cool: Hondo

Is it a good thing? As I understand remastering, it means the video will be improved noticeably. It will certainly be nice to see more color and detail in the video. I see people upthread complaining about the audio, but I never noticed any problems with the audio of The Quiet Man.

• Blu Ray.com has posted it's review of Olive Film's release of "The Quiet Man". The 4 K scan from an original camera negative is glorious! The images displayed are the finest I've seen from this film. There is some minor carping about a couple of audio cues, but the author's commentary and enthusiasm is infectious and now I can't wait to see this one.
    DVDSavant received his review copy too. Glenn took a look at it and states how happy he is with the transfer. He'll be posting his review on Tuesday.

We deal in lead, friend.

• As Gorch already noted, blu-ray.com has posted screenshots and review of the newly-restored version of TQM. Here's the link: http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/…Man-Blu-ray/58675/#Review

It looks fantastic. SO much better than the very poor quality versions available before! I can't wait to watch my copy I preordered on Amazon at http://www.amazon.com/Quiet-An…-1&keywords=The+Quiet+Man

It will be VERY exciting to share this stunning restored version on the BIG screen with Maureen O'Hara herself who has accepted our invitation to join us at our 2013 John Wayne Birthday Celebration featuring a tribute to Maureen O'Hara on May 24-25th. ALL of the films starring John Wayne and Maureen O'Hara (Rio Grande, The Quiet Man, The Wings of Eagles, McLintock! and Big Jake) will be shown on the big screen in the Iowa Theatre on the Courthouse Square in Winterset.

Those who've attended our past John Wayne Birthday Celebrations can tell you--there lots of fun and plenty of free things to do during this event. For those interested in attending our John Wayne Birthplace Museum Benefit Dinner with Maureen O'Hara on May 25th, tickets are now available at http://www.johnwaynebirthplace.org or by phone toll-free at (877) 462-1044. Don't miss this once-in-a-lifetime opportunity!

• For posts deleted please refer to
    Community Standards and Policies

Particularly

* Edited, Moved, or Deleted Posts/Threads.
    Please think about what you are saying before you post it; do not just post anything you feel like posting. By posting, members acknowledge that their posts may be edited, moved, or deleted at the discretion of the moderators or administrator.

* Explanations for Edited, Moved, or Deleted Posts/Threads.
    If your post is edited, moved, or deleted and the moderator responsible does not leave an explanation, you may ask about it in a private message (PM) to one of the moderators. Do not post complaints on the board about a moderator's action. Any member who complains on the board about a moderator's action can be banned.

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• I can't wait for this one. The DVD is such poor quality!
    I will be wearing my big newsboy cap in honour when I watch it.
    Ethankeith, is all this being re-posted on the Olive Films thread too? It should be!

"Pour yourself some backbone and shut up!"

• I can't wait for this one. The DVD is such poor quality!
    I will be wearing my big newsboy cap in honour when I watch it.
    Ethankeith, is all this being re-posted on the Olive Films thread too? It should be!

Peter, probably not,
    but I will copy it over there

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• Sorry I've been absent for a while. My knee went out last Thursday and I still can't get upstairs to my computer! I'm using an iPad, which I hate...anyway, here is the dvdbeaver.com review of The Quiet Man. More mouthwatering screencaps.

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film4…the_quiet_man_blu-ray.htm

Get well soon Paula.

''baby sister i was born game and intend to go out that way.''

• Sorry I've been absent for a while. My knee went out last Thursday and I still can't get upstairs to my computer! I'm using an iPad, which I hate...anyway, here is the dvdbeaver.com review of The Quiet Man. More mouthwatering screencaps.

Sorry to hear about your knee, I hope it gets better soon.

Also, thanks Wayne for the link to the Blu-ray, it looks very promising I envision this DVD in my collection.

Get better soon Paula, you have been missed!

I have to say Maureen O'hara is so beautiful in those screen grabs.

"Pour yourself some backbone and shut up!"

• "Dooley: I have to say Maureen O'hara is so beautiful in those screen grabs."

Agreed and very intelligent also, strong willed, a perfect combination for her red hair and to play opposite duke in those pictures. She also went to Congress and got Duke a medal when he was dying.
    [FONT=Times New Roman,Times][SIZE=+1]"I am happy, thrilled and delighted, and very proud to be here. In my lifetime I have been very privileged to have known and to have met, perhaps with my connections with the motion picture industry, many great and famous men all over the world, starting with my beloved father and then my husband, Charlie Blair, and John Wayne. I think they are perhaps the three greatest men I have ever been privileged to know.[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman,Times][SIZE=+1] I have known John Wayne for 39 years, and in those 39 years I have called him my dearest friend, my best friend. I cannot tell you the kind of man he is.[/SIZE][/FONT]
    [FONT=Times New Roman,Times][SIZE=+1] You have listened this morning to many eloquent speeches about Duke. But it is the man that you really don't know about. I can speak to you here as an immigrant to the United States, because I am. I can speak for the people of the world outside of the United States. And, since I am now an American citizen, I can speak for the people of the United States. I hope they will grant me permission to do that. I think they will.[/SIZE][/FONT]
    [FONT=Times New Roman,Times][SIZE=+1] To the people of the world, John Wayne is not just an actor and a very fine actor, John Wayne is the United States of America. He is what they believe it to be. He is what they hope it will be. And he is what they hope it will always be.[/SIZE][/FONT]
    [FONT=Times New Roman,Times][SIZE=+1] It is every person's dream that the United States will be like John Wayne and always like him."[/SIZE][/FONT]
    [FONT=Times New Roman,Times][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1]Found at http://www.users.qwest.net/~aknot/congress.htm[/SIZE][/SIZE][/FONT]
    [FONT=Times New Roman,Times][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1] You can't have a better friend then Maureen was to Duke.[/SIZE][/SIZE]
    [/SIZE][/FONT]

"A people that values their Privileges above it's Principles. Soon looses both." Dwight Eisenhower

Edited once, last by colkid60 ().

• For musical theater lovers -- surely I am not the only musical theater AND John Wayne fan here. ;)

http://www.irishrep.org/donnybrook.html

The Irish Repertory Theatre continues its 25th Anniversary Season with a revival of the 1961 Broadway musical based on the movie "The Quiet Man"

DONNYBROOK!

Music and Lyrics by Johnny Burke
    Book by Robert E. McEnroe
    Directed by Charlotte Moore
    Choreography by Barry McNabb

Performances begin February 7
    Opens Sunday, February 17 at The Irish Repertory Theatre.

With James Barbour ("A Tale of Two Cities") as Irish-American prizefighter Sean Enright and Jenny Powers ("Little Women") as Mary Kate.

Irish Repertory Theatre continues its 25th Anniversary Season with DONNYBROOK! —a musical based on the movie "The Quiet Man," with music and lyrics by Johnny Burke and book by Robert E. McEnroe—with previews set to begin February 7, prior to its official Off-Broadway opening on Sunday, February 17 on the company's Francis J. Greenburger Mainstage Theatre (132 West 22nd Street). Charlotte Moore (2012 Callaway Award finalist for DANCING AT LUGHNASA) directs.

In DONNYBROOK!, Sean Enright, an Irish-American prizefighter who has killed a man in the ring and vowed never to raise a hand again to anyone, returns to Ireland from America. He meets and woos a tempestuous Irish village maiden, Mary Kate, who wants a man who will stand up and fight for her. However, Ellen's brother Will believes John to be a coward and gets in the way of their romance.

James Barbour, whose Broadway credits include A TALE OF TWO CITIES, ASSASSINS, JANE EYRE, BEAUTY & THE BEAST, and most recently Irish Repertory Theatre's OLIVER! in Concert, co-stars as Sean Enright.

The cast of DONNYBROOK! also includes Jenny Powers (GREASE, LITTLE WOMEN) as Mary Kate and Ted Koch (THE PILLOWMAN) as Will; with Samuel Cohen, Patrick Cummings (NEW GIRL IN TOWN), Terry Donnelly (THE SHAUGHRAUN), Kathy Fitzgerald (9 TO 5), Mary Mallen, Barbara Marineau (THE WOMEN), Kern McFadden, Kevin McGuire (LES MISERABLES), and David Sitler.

DONNYBROOK! features choreography by Barry McNabb. Musical Directio is by John Bell. The production has scenic design by James Noone; lighting design by Brian Nason; costume design by Linda Fisher; sound design by Zachary Williamson; and hair & wig design by Robert-Charles Vallance. Production Stage Manager is Pamela Brusoski. Assistant Stage Manager is Rebecca C. Monroe.

Johnny Burke is regarded as one of the finest lyricists of popular songs in America between the 1920s and 1950s. His songs include "Pennies From Heaven," "Imagination," "I've Got a Pocketful of Dreams," "Moonlight Becomes You," "Sunday, Monday, or Always," "It Could Happen to You," and the Academy Award-winning "Swinging on a Star" from the Bing Crosby film "Going My Way." He was inducted into the Songwriters Hall of Fame in 1970.

Robert E. McEnroe's plays include the popular comedy THE SILVER WHISTLE, which ran more than 200 performances on Broadway in 1948, starring Jose Ferrer, and MULLIGAN'S SNUG. DONNYBROOK! opened on Broadway in 1961, directed and choreographed by Jack Cole.

Charlotte Moore's recent directing credits include IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE: A LIVE RADIO PLAY, NEW GIRL IN TOWN, Brian Friel's DANCING AT LUGHNASA and MOLLY SWEENEY, A CHILD'S CHRISTMAS IN WALES, THE IRISH…AND HOW THEY GOT THAT WAY, and ERNEST IN LOVE. She has also directed The Irish Repertory Theatre's concert productions of OLIVER!, CAMELOT and BRIGADOON on Broadway. Ms. Moore was a finalist for the 2011-2012 Joseph A. Callaway Award for excellence in the craft of directing for her work on DANCING AT LUGHNASA.

Co-founded by Producing Director Ciarán O'Reilly and Artistic Director Charlotte Moore, The Irish Repertory Theatre opened its doors in September 1988 with Sean O'Casey's THE PLOUGH AND THE STARS. The mission of the theatre was and remains to bring works by Irish and Irish American masters and contemporary playwrights to American audiences; to provide a context for understanding the contemporary Irish American experience; and to encourage the development of new works focusing on the Irish and Irish American experience, as well as a range of other cultures. Ms. Moore and Mr. O'Reilly received the 2011 Eugene O'Neill Lifetime Achievement Award from Irish American Writers & Artists, Inc.

DONNYBROOK! runs at The Irish Repertory Theatre (132 West 22nd Street), February 7-March 31: Wednesdays at 3pm and 8pm; Thursdays at 7pm; Fridays at 8pm; Saturdays at 3pm and 8pm; and Sundays at 3pm. Opening Night is Sunday, February 17 at 7pm. Tickets are $55-65. For reservations, call the box office at 212-727-2737 or visit www.irishrep.org