The Quiet Man (1952)

There are 470 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 384,208 times. The latest Post () was by Tbone.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Yes it is. The man (in America) that owns it. Wants to restore it so people can sleep in the Cottage. I don't know if it ever happened.

I hope to show how it was built for the film...I did talk to one of John Ford's family members in Ireland. He said (john ford's) Father's Cottage is still there on their land.

• I was thinking about my favorite movie last night and wondering if anyone ever came up with a translation for the Gaelic dialogue in the movie.

I'm particularly interested in the conversation between Mary Kate and Fr. Lonergan.

Would any of our friends over in Ireland be able to translate it?

Tbone

"I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends respect me. The others can do whatever the hell they please."

• Hi Tbone,

I believe this has already been discussed in this thread.
    We have a member called lenrehn,
    whi is very knowledgable on all matters relating to this film.
    If you care to check his posts, I think he's mentioned it.

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• Tbone,

Here's one post mentioning this:-

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• I think Tbone is talking about the scene where Mary Kate talks to Father Lonergan by the stream while he is fishing. She wants to tell him about the troubles she is having with Sean but feels more comfortable speaking in Gaelic. Like Tbone, I myself have wondered what the translation would be to what she tells him. Any of our members from across the sea who speak or understand Gaelic care to translate, if possible?

Mark

"I couldn't go to sleep at night if the director didn't call 'cut'. "

• That's right Mark. That is the primary scene I'm interested in. There are other Irish quips throughout the movie too. For example, I think Barry Fitzgerald is using an Irish term for matchmaker in the scene with Mary Kate where he comes to talk with her about the match making and is a bit tipsy. But I'm not sure what he's saying there.

As to what Maureen said to Duke, I have to admit I've even slowed the movie down and expanded the image and I still can't tell what she said. Unless someone is really good at reading lips from the side, I don't think we'll ever know what exactly was said, but based on Duke's reaction and Maureen's acknowledgement, we can probably imagine pretty well.

Thanks,

Tbone

"I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends respect me. The others can do whatever the hell they please."

• Hi all
    I can’t tell you what Mary Kate Danaher are telling to Father Lonergan with the stream but both Bryan Varnam and I are members in The Quiet Man Movie Club and there is an member who is living in Ireland and maybe he can Gaelic so I put in a question about that in the club and maybe I will have an answer from him. You can go to Bryan’s home site if you like http://www.bryanvarnam.com/ there you can buy his painting The Whisper.
    Len

• Thanks lenrehn!

Bryan's quite an artist. Thanks for the link to his paintings.

Tbone

• Hi all
    I got an answer from him but that is not straight line word by word when I think he is an Protestant when that is the Catholic people who is talking Gaelic (Irish).
    Hi Len, what Mary Kate is telling Father Lonergan, is that since the wedding, Sean has been sleeping in a sleeping bag and not in their wedding bed. Which in Ireland back in those days was a mortal sin and a poor reflection of the wife's attractions. I'm sure you remember the scene the morning after the wedding when Hugh Forbes and friends come to the cottage with her furniture and she tells Sean` Don't be shaming me in front of your friends`… Noel.
    [FONT='Calibri','sans-serif']Len[/FONT]

• Hi all The Quiet Man Maniac’s.
    I like to give you a quote from The Quiet Man Movie Club.
    The restoration of Pat Cohan is now nearing completion and visitors to Cong village will soon be able to stop in a have a ”pint of the black beer” just like Sean Thornton and Will Danaher did at the end of their epic fight.
    The official opening date will be 17th September 2008.
    You may have more information on http://www.quietmanmovieclub.com/
    Len

• That would be so cool to be able to amble up to the bar and have a black beer at Cohan's. It would be just like stepping into the movie itself, if just for a brief second. Thanks for sharing that news, lenrehn. It's a crime I live on a different continent, as I would love to see it in person.

Mark

"I couldn't go to sleep at night if the director didn't call 'cut'. "

• That would be so cool to be able to amble up to the bar and have a black beer at Cohan's. It would be just like stepping into the movie itself, if just for a brief second. Thanks for sharing that news, lenrehn. It's a crime I live on a different continent, as I would love to see it in person.

Mark

I am with you Mark...... I can only hope that someday I can visit these places......

Life is hard, its even harder when your stupid!!
    -John Wayne

• Wow, great news! So will they call it "Cohan's" hard "H" or "Cohan's" Silent "H"?

Tbone

• Bryan Varnam and I are waiting on interior photographs from the bar by a member in The Quiet Man Movie Club but I don’t know when or if we will get them yet.
    Len

• Hi all
    Here is litle news from Pat Cohan Bar
    http://www.patcohan.com/
    Len

Hi Len, Great post and information,
    Thanks for your continued support of this dedicated thread.
    I'm sure we would really appreciate, if you could also
    post this and any other location information
    on our
    Duke's Movie Locations- Ireland
    I would be most grateful for your input on that thread

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

Edited once, last by ethanedwards ().