The Quiet Man (1952)

There are 470 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 384,026 times. The latest Post () was by Tbone.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• The Quiet Man being one of mine and my Wife's favorites getting to see the Pub would be an added bonus.
    I still love the part were Father Lonergan (Ward Bond) on the bridge tells his congregation to cheer or yell like Protestants when the Bishop goes by, and
    the retired officer in the Pub reading the newspaper and never being distracted.:smile:

• I’m sorry ShortGrub, but father Lonergan was not on that bridge when that was Reverent Playfair who was betting with the Bishop.
    Len

• I’m sorry ShortGrub, but father Lonergan was not on that bridge when that was Reverent Playfair who was betting with the Bishop.
    Len

My friend I was referring to the end of the movie when Father Lonergan tied a bandanna around his Catholic collar and asked the residents to yell like Protestants when Rev Playfair drove the Bishop by in the car.:wink:

• i really loved this film - one of the nicest films i ve ever watched - the idea of couples being so closely chaperoned... did that really happen in the 1920s?
    the cemetary scene lived up to all the romance i ve heard about it but my favourite line in the film has to be "

• Now when the Reverend Mr. Playfair, good man that he is, comes down, I want us all to cheer like Protestants. classic

"Sorry don t get it done, Dude" (Rio Bravo)

Hooked on The Duke

• The story in The Quiet Man is happen some of the first year after the Black and Tan War in Ireland, who ended in 1920 – 1921. So the movies story can be in 1922 – 1923, some people are telling that year was 1923.
    Len

• I watched this movie twice this past week. I have never seen a movie like it or resembling it. I think that as many have stated already it is truly unique and in a very good way. I think one of my favorite scenes is when the Duke gets off the train and their all trying to help with directions but confusing him and everyone else mostly. I think that all them in it were at their finest and you could tell that they were enjoying their roles. Just what i percieved anyways.

• FarmerSteve,

It is without a doubt the finest piece of film art ever created by mankind and will never be eclipsed in its cinematic historical significance.

In case you haven’t guessed, I’m a big fan of the film myself. :holiday_irish:

Tbone

"I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends respect me. The others can do whatever the hell they please."

• <H1 style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt">I will give you a short quote from the CNN Larry King Live 2 Interview with Maureen O'Hara Aired January 2, 2003.

KING: I want to talk about John Wayne. We understand you're going to tell us something that you didn't tell us last time about what you whispered to him.
    O'HARA: Oh, not on your life.
    KING: You're not going to tell it now.
    O'HARA: No. Never, never, never.
    KING: Last scene of "The Quiet Man" Maureen's character whispers something in the ear of John Wayne's character. Whatever she said apparently shocked Wayne because his head jerked back and his eyes grows wide with disbelief. Wayne never told anyone what she said and John Ford the director never did either.
    O'HARA: That was the deal. When John Ford said you are to say so and so To Wayne, I said, what? Me? No way. And he said, you're being ordered to do it. You do it. And I realized it was nothing I could do. When you try to battle with John Ford, you have to give in. And I said, well there's one stipulation. That you will never tell anybody what it is that you demanded that I say. And, John Wayne will never tell. And the three of us made the deal.
    KING: So it was to what you are. One can imagine it was sexual or cursing or both?
    O'HARA: Little bit of both.

Len

:teeth_smile:</H1>

• I've tried to slow the end of the movie down to try to read her lips but haven't been able to tell what she said.

I can guess, but then can't we all.

Tbone

"I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends respect me. The others can do whatever the hell they please."

• I love the scene when Red Will first comes into the pub "I'm a man from Innisfree, and the best man...." and in the left corner of the frame we see Feeny pick up someone's unfinished pint, slyly look around, then drain the glass. Says everything about the character in a few silent seconds!
    Also the jolly scene when Sean buys drinks all round but never manages to got one himself as he keeps handing them out while Micheleen does very nicely! Beautifully choreagraphed, and worth running back to study!

• A wonderful strong scene is there Michaeleen sitting whit White O’Morn and been asked for saddle up Sean’s horse and he say. Saddle his horse? I´ll have no part in helping you to put more shame on her. Saddle his horse... Dam da dam da, diddle de da...
    Len

• One of my favorite lines in the film comes from Michaeleen.

"Is this a courtin', or a donnybrook? Have the good manners not to hit the man untill he's your husband. And entitled to hit ya back."

I chuckle every time I hear that line.

"I couldn't go to sleep at night if the director didn't call 'cut'. "

• Ervserver,

You know when Maureen took that swing at Duke, she was mad because of what happened in the sceen where he drags her through the field with the sheep dip.

Duke saw the swing coming at a better clip than he knew it should have so ohe put his hand up to block it and Maureen broke her hand.

Tbone