The Longest Day (1962)

There are 97 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 111,862 times. The latest Post () was by Nathan.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Here is an example of the book. It goes into alot more detail than the movie could. I recommend it as a very good read for war buffs. Enjoy!

Mark

"I couldn't go to sleep at night if the director didn't call 'cut'. "

• When the rifle bolt is mistaken for the hand held recognition device, and so many other scenes that draw you right into the movie. This is a good film about a sad chapter in History.

Greetings from North of the 49th

• [extendedmedia]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/gZ7hYEJt2UY&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/gZ7hYEJt2UY&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/extendedmedia]

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• Thanks for posting the great theme.:thumbs_up:

Have to agree with all the postings above. IMO The Longest Day is one of the best War Movies ever. I appreciate that they show both sides. A great cast with famous US actors and many good european actors. :teeth_smile:
    John Wayne is 100%perfect in this one.

"You're too good to give a chance to." John Wayne as Cole Thornton in El Dorado (1966)

Edited once, last by JohnChisum ().

• With all the territory this story had to cover, they had to have recognizable stars in order for the audience to follow the narrative. I thought at the time that it was interesting to have young singers like Fabian, Paul Anka and Tommy Sands as Rangers at Pont du Hoc. Nowadays, younger viewers have no idea who these guys are - or Jeff Hunter, Roddy McDowell, Sal Mineo, George Segal, Richard Beymer, et al., - but back then, they were all familiar faces and we could identify them right away.
    My own failing is that I can no longer tell one modern day young actor from another. If this movie was remade (God forbid) I probably wouldn't be able to follow the characters.

We deal in lead, friend.

• Thank you Keith, and am happy to share what I have to improve any war movie thread ;-))

Also, how do you get nominated? Id like to do so to you for the posting of these stills and the others.

Take care--Carl.

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

• :wink_smile:

Tonight, a French TV channel (FR3) plays the famous "The Longest Day" (1962) ...

A monumental film which equals a very good western!

:thumbs_up:

Unconditional's Maureen O'Hara !
    French-English translation: poor !!!
    :blush:

Edited once, last by Romy ().

• When i first bought this movie it was on Beta tapes. The first vcr i had was a Betamax. Big heavy dinasaur! top loader, remember those? TWO THUMBS UP!!!
    ONE OF HIS GREATESTS!!!

• Hi all, I am in Hollywood, California (literally -- I'm typing this in the Roosevelt Hotel on Hollywood Blvd.) attending the third Turner Classic Movies film festival. This morning I saw on a big screen The Longest Day and all I can say is, you haven't seen this movie until you've seen it in a theater! It's HUGE! Great seeing the Duke in this -- the moment that really gets me is his close-up when he sees the bodies of the dead paratroopers hanging up on poles and he is horrified and furious that they haven't been cut down already and taken care of.

The Longest Day recently received a restoration and it was also digitally projected, and it looks fantastic.

They showed The Searchers yesterday but alas, wasn't able to see it. Rio Bravo is tomorrow and that one I'm definitely planning to see -- and earlier in the day tomorrow is How the West Was Won at the Cinerama Dome!