Flying Tigers (1942)

There are 77 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 72,453 times. The latest Post () was by lasbugas.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Clive,

Just recently, I was wondering where you were, so we are glad to see you back. We hope you had a great vacation, and we're sorry you hurt yourself. In short, Welcome back!!

Thanks for these interesting notes regarding those who were involved in the film Flying Tigers. Too bad Victor Young never lived to receive his Oscar, especially after having been nominated so many times.

Chester :newyear:

• I have seen this movie a number of times since I was a yonker. I think I have seen this one probably about 15-20 times. I always did like this movie. For one, I thought it was well made through and through and enjoyed all the action in it.

I have a production still, of a picture depicting the Chinese Chief Mechanic, pointing out the bullet holes to Duke.

And maybe this is interesting to any who care but, back in Feb of 02, I met a Flying Tiger, and got a signed photo of him. This Flying Tiger, was David Lee "Tex" Hill, who had also commanded one of three, Flying Tiger squadrons. This photo has him with three other Tigers including Dick Rossi. The squadrons were given names.

Not necessarily in order, the squadron names were:

The Panda Bears & The Adams and Eves. I forgot the name of the other squadron.

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

• The scene where John Carrol makes his final approach chokes me up. I really liked the script for JW in this one. I think it allowed him to be all that I ever wanted him to represent.

Greetings from North of the 49th

• OK, I've told similar stories before . . . tooling around on the Internet (today, specifically YouTube) and one click leads to another which leads to another.

Anyway, along the way, we learned that Jimmie "Why? Because we like you!" Dodd, of the Mickey Mouse Club, acted with John Wayne in Flying Tigers. Who knew? We discovered that because, while reading his bio on IMDb, there was mention that

Early on played sidekick Lullaby Joslin in the popular 'Three Mesquiteers' film series.

So then we did a joint ventures search for him and John Wayne. It seems they were not in The Three Mesquiteers at the same time, but we discovered the the single joint venture was Flying Tigers.

Just thought you'd enjoy the nostalgia.

Chester :newyear: and the Mrs. :angel1:

• A very interesting book on "Flying Tigers" of the reality was read.
    It is a book "Preemptive Strike". ーThe secret plan that would have prevented the attack on Pearl Harbor- by Alan Armstrong,

The fact of having approved the plan that President Roosevelt bombs to the major city from China to Japan by Flying Tigers before the attack of the Pearl Harbor is clarified according to it.

regards,
    Taka

Sometimes kids ask me what a pro is. I just point to the Duke.
    ~Steve McQueen~

Edited once, last by H.sanada ().

• That's very interesting, Taka. The thought that Roosevelt thought to "strike first" is something I had never heard before. I wonder how the American public would have felt if Roosevelt had taken that route when all I've heard was that the public at large wanted to stay out of the conflict. I may just have to look up the book.

Mark

"I couldn't go to sleep at night if the director didn't call 'cut'. "

• Interesting point Taka. I have for a long time believed FDR knew that Pearl Harbor was going to be bombed. I agree with Mark that most Americans were neutralists like WWI. FDR needed a catalyst to get the US involved, one similar to the sinking of the Lusitania in 1915, that brought us into the war in 1917.
    Interesting you read reports of the second explosion on the Lusitania and many believe it was munitions that were sent for the Brits and Frogs. The German UBoat commander Schweiger could not understand why the Lusitania didn't leave by another channel. Did Wilson use the Lusitania to get the US into WWI or the Brits draw us in by it?

• Here's a link for the book"Preemptive Strike"The Lyons Press,2006.
    http://www.preemptivestrikethebook.com/

It is well known that FDR didn't consider measures though perceived the Pearl Harbor attack by Japanese Navy beforehand.
    It is assumed that there was a political judgment that start forming the
    public opinions U.S. should participate in the war (WW2).

The attack to Japanese aircrafts by Flying Tigers has started earlier than Pearl hobor bombing.
    Moreover, i learnt at the first time that the bombing to the japanese
    cities had been planned by this book.

Anyway,IMO the Japan-US two countries had already to have rushed into war before December,1941.

regards,
    Taka

Sometimes kids ask me what a pro is. I just point to the Duke.
    ~Steve McQueen~

• Maybe the feeling of the American people may have been shifting about the war in Europe and the Pacific, but they were not in a rush to send their boys to fight, in my opinion. the article states :

While President Roosevelt, his cabinet and staff, together with Captain Claire Lee Chennault and representatives of the Chinese Nationalist Government worked secretly on a plan to bomb Japan before the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor, the failure to timely implement and execute the plan had devastating consequences for America.

I don't think it was a failure to not implement the bombings, for we would have been the aggressor and I don't think there would have been a rush to join up if that was the case. The attack on Pearl Harbor infuriated the public and "woke up a sleeping giant" as Adm. Yamamoto had stated after the attack. That caused the Nation to rise up as one in the sole purpose to avenge the attack. The bombing of Pearl Harbor was exactly what was needed to light the fire in the US. War between America and Japan may have been in the wind, but the People were not in a rush to engage it...untill Pearl.

Mark

"I couldn't go to sleep at night if the director didn't call 'cut'. "

• I still can Remember when this happened on December 7Th. 1941, we were at the Old Fox Theater in Phoenix watching a John Wayne Film.
    :teeth_smile:
    They Stopped the Movie and told us what had Happened and everyone Left The Theater and the U.S.A. WAS AT WAR !!!
    :fear:
    Chilibill
    :cowboy:

• The attack on Pearl Harbor infuriated the public and "woke up a sleeping giant" as Adm. Yamamoto had stated after the attack. That caused the Nation to rise up as one in the sole purpose to avenge the attack. The bombing of Pearl Harbor was exactly what was needed to light the fire in the US.
    Mark

FDR regardless of his new deal and all that he had done still didn't have the sway in congress to vote war which he wanted. Churchill already had visited the US twice trying to talk him into entering the war other than sending supplies. The Republicans were happy just to send supplies.
    Japan did FDR a favor and every one who died at Pearl a disfavor by allowing the Japanese to fly in and bomb without warning.

• usually i can t get into war films but i watched this one, mainly cos jw was in it, and quite enjoyed it.
    one small point, which is going to sound petty but it really bugged me, was when blackie(?)s wife went to see jw to beg him to let her husband fly. she kept saying but please don t tell him i ve spoken to you. he agreed to that and then said, have him ready for tomorrow morning....well, how could she do that without telling him that she d spoken to him?
    loved the planes though with the design on the front - did they really have them like that and thought it was a really good ending when the guy you disliked all the way through suddenly became a hero and what a hero.
    overall it was a pleasant way to spend a couple of hours and i would watch it again

"Sorry don t get it done, Dude" (Rio Bravo)

Hooked on The Duke

• usually i can t get into war films but i watched this one, mainly cos jw was in it, and quite enjoyed it.
    one small point, which is going to sound petty but it really bugged me, was when blackie(?)s wife went to see jw to beg him to let her husband fly. she kept saying but please don t tell him i ve spoken to you. he agreed to that and then said, have him ready for tomorrow morning....well, how could she do that without telling him that she d spoken to him?
    loved the planes though with the design on the front - did they really have them like that and thought it was a really good ending when the guy you disliked all the way through suddenly became a hero and what a hero.
    overall it was a pleasant way to spend a couple of hours and i would watch it again

Hi Badger

I think it was necessary that Blackie remained ignorant of his wife's intervention in order to ensure he had some self esteem and confidence. Blackie wanted to be there to redeem himself he wanted to earn the chance to fight on his own merits and not because his wife had begged the Squadron leader.

Thats my take on the scene.

:agent:

Regards
    Robbie

• FLYING TIGERS is my favorite of his war movies. I can watch that movie 100 times, in fact I think I have.LOL.
    Andy:teeth_smile:

:film: " When the legend becomes fact print the legend"