Hellfighters (1969)

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? Registration is completely free and will enable the use of all site features including the ability to join in or create your own discussions.

There are 112 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by lasbugas.

• Re: Hellfighters (1969)

In light of today's technology, it really amused my kids to watch them using the car phones.
      Tbone

"I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends respect me. The others can do whatever the hell they please."

Hi,
      I like the movie and have to agree, anything with John Wayne in it is all right by me! But, I do have to say that casting Vera Miles in the part as John Wayne's wife did not work for me. It just did not click like when he works with Maureen O' Hara or Laureen Bacall. But, I do like the way Duke and Jim Hutton work off of each other. To bad they didn't make more films together.
      Stacy

dukefan2 wrote:

As I recall, I read somewhere that Katherine Ross did not like working with the Duke because of his conservative outlook, which is strange because she married Sam Elliott, who I believe is also very conservative.

It wasn't all a political conflict. John Wayne could be tough sometimes especially when he was paying the bill and making a movie to honor a real person.
    • FILM FACTS: Hellfighters (1969)

Here is another Film Facts entry from Clive Woolands (see this post for more information) -

Howdy folks, its time for another film fact, this time it is from
      Hellfighters.

Producer: Robert Arthur, Screenplay: Clair Huffaker, Cinematographer:
      William H. Clothier, Art Directors: Frank Arrigo, Alexander Golitzen,
      Editor: Folmar Blangsted, Distribution: Universal Pictures,
      Locations: Texas, Wyoming
      Box office takings (US): $3.481 million,
      Date of Production: 1968.

Katherine Ross and Vera Miles worked together again 15 years later in a made for TV movie called Travis McGee (1983), about a jaded private
      eye. It was also directed by Andrew V. McLaglen.
      Houston born actor Randy Quaid claims that as a high school kid, he rang up John Wayne's hotel during the shoot of Hellfighters and impersonated the actor. "I said, `This is John Wayne. Got any messages for me?'" he said. "And they gave me his messages. That gave me a lot of confidence, and I started performing."
      Jim Hutton, who died aged just 45 in 1979, is the father of actor Timothy Hutton. When he received his best supporting actor Oscar for Ordinary People at the 1981 Academy Awards, Timothy Hutton dedicated it to his father.
      The distinctive, jaunty score for Hellfighters was composed by Leonard Rosenman. The John Wayne film came midway through a career that peaked in the 1970's with back-to-back Academy Awards for Barry Lyndon (1975) and Bound For Glory (1976).

I just picked up this movie yesterday, and I have always liked it. It has Duke, Jim Hutton who I loved as Ellery Queen, Katherine Ross who I just enjoy looking at and action. Cripes what more do you want.

If we're honest there are many Duke movies, that are not really very good, but because of our love for him we tend to overlook the flaws. Just like my wife does with me:stunned:
      "John Wayne is not just an actor and a very fine actor,John Wayne is the United States of America."

I've seen this movie several times. I admit I liked it when I was younger just because John Wayne was in it. However, every time I have seen it in the past few years, I just don't enjoy it like i useed to. I will not say I do not like this film but, if i had it to choose buying between a better title, well; it would lose.
      Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

I'm about to work on the German DVD for HELLFIGHTERS.

I'll include
      - the 1969 featurette
      - German theatrical trailer
      - Galleries with German, US, UK Promo-material, behind the scenes stills
      - Booklet (German writing)

Of course the film will be in its Panavision ratio and will have the english soundtrack as well.
      So far the only DVD release worldwide with some supplements I guess...

Juniormike wrote:

I'm about to work on the German DVD for HELLFIGHTERS.

I'll include
      - the 1969 featurette
      - German theatrical trailer
      - Galleries with German, US, UK Promo-material, behind the scenes stills
      - Booklet (German writing)

Of course the film will be in its Panavision ratio and will have the english soundtrack as well.
      So far the only DVD release worldwide with some supplements I guess...

I hope you will keep us updated on this work. Our European members especially look forward to the release, I'm sure.

Chester :newyear:

Hi Juniormike,
      you are certainly doing a great job. But it is not the first release of this movie in Europe. It was released already by Universal in UK. But there was no features on the disk. May be only trailer - I must check out, I have it.
      Regards,
      Senta

If memory serves me correctly I think this may have been the 1st JW movie I watched!

Great action scenes, but storyline a tad weak
      Windage & elevation Ms.Langdon, windage & elevation!

One thing I like about this film, being an Okie, is the oil related theme. Duke did others as well like War of the Wildcats but this was the only modern one. My dad used to work in the petrolium industry so when this film first came out, I could relate to the scenes of the Christmas trees, etc. Dad was able to add a lot of background info concerning what the firefighters were doing and why. Red Adair, on whom the story is based, was a heck of a guy. Talk about grit now. He had it.
      Tbone

"I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends respect me. The others can do whatever the hell they please."