Hellfighters (1969)

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Your view is limited. Please register to the JWMB to access all features.

There are 112 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by lasbugas.

• Re: Hellfighters (1969)

FanTAStic cover Peter. Much better than the old ones. Read way on down this thread. Lots of folks don't like this movie at all. But, I found two who did beside me. I said when you got back, I thought you might be one of the ones who liked it because we USUALLY agreed. So, what is your take on this. Make sure to read on back to see why others didn't like it and why I did. Sure reminds me of those guys, and of Gibbons who once got cement shipped out of country when no one else could with one little 5 minute phone call, LOL! Keith

Dooley wrote:

Not sure if this has been posted on here yet but Hellfighters is out on blu ray on region 2!
      I quite like the cover.

Hawkswill wrote:

FanTAStic cover Peter. Much better than the old ones. Read way on down this thread. Lots of folks don't like this movie at all. But, I found two who did beside me. I said when you got back, I thought you might be one of the ones who liked it because we USUALLY agreed. So, what is your take on this. Make sure to read on back to see why others didn't like it and why I did. Sure reminds me of those guys, and of Gibbons who once got cement shipped out of country when no one else could with one little 5 minute phone call, LOL! Keith

I'm going to be honest here, pretty much how I always am, I still haven't seen this one! Like The Conqueror, it has sat in my Duke box of films unwatched.I must dig it out to form an opinion on it. I do like the soundtrack however, quite a jazz little number!
      Maybe it will be in the group watch soon, lol!
      "Pour yourself some backbone and shut up!"

ethanedwards wrote:

Great movie, ha ha!! they couldn't even have a
      location shot from the window,
      just an endless conveyer belt of the same
      plastic cars on and on and on.... yuk!!

Lol! I take it you don't like this one Keith?

I read reviews on Amazon, see below, and ordered the blu ray! I'll let you know what I think when it arrives!

One of John Waynes best films, backed by an impressive cast including Katharine Ross and Jim Hutton, enjoyable time after time, a classic.

Altho it is not a western with John Wayne the few films that he made that were just ordinary ones this one is one of his best films very exciting.

I saw this movie on TV years ago and it is one of John Wayne's best.This is loosly based on the life of Texan Oilwell fire expert Red Adair, who died not long ago.Jim Hutton is his sidekick, with Bruce Cabot and Vera Lynn his ex wife.I loved this movie and still play it often. The DVD edition brings a clear sharp picture and the soundtrack is great.The team travel the world putting out oil and gas fires and there are some terrific sequences, including the fire in Malasia and the final one in Venezuela.Along the way, we get to see thier life and loves, predictably with John (Chance Buckman) getting back with his ex wife.I'm sure you will enjoy it.

P.S. don't blame me that they are illiterate, I just copy and pasted them!:wink_smile:

ethanedwards wrote:

Great movie, ha ha!! they couldn't even have a
      location shot from the window,
      just an endless conveyer belt of the same
      plastic cars on and on and on.... yuk!!

You are of course most welcome to your opinion Keither. Don't think you should phrase it in such a way as to try to make others look a little less intelligent than they are, LOL!
      Some of us really enjoyed this movie. Kind of like Pappy putting the same Monument Valley scenes miles from where they were before. We won't even talk about N to A. OK, it wasn't an Oscar winner, just an enjoyable, exciting at times movie. The guys I knew said they really DID put out oil well fires in the way they did it. At least they must have had a really good info man. If guys that do this for a living like it....must be something about it that is right. Anyway, have a nice night, Keith2

Hawkswill wrote:

You are of course most welcome to your opinion Keither. Don't think you should phrase it in such a way as to try to make others look a little less intelligent than they are, LOL!
      Keith2

Well the folks who made the movie, obviously didn't use much intelligence when they shot those joke scenes!!
      Best Wishes
      Keith
      London- England

ethanedwards wrote:

Well the folks who made the movie, obviously didn't use much intelligence when they shot those joke scenes!!

Remember I've never seen it so watching it on Blu ray for my first viewing will give it the best chance. Honestly, I'm surprised at its ratings on Amazon all 5 stars and one 4 stars, better than some of Duke's better known films.

ethanedwards wrote:

Perhaps you should focus on the entire movie and the scenes that count, like the fire fighting ones instead of some silly background cars. As we know, all movies have mistakes in them. This happens to be a very highly regarded film. Guess the people who rate them were more interested in what the movie was about. HAH, when I posted that the info man must have really known what he was doing, I had forgotten it was Red Adair....THE expert and the movie was loosely based on his life. Way to go Peter. Will be a real shame if you finally get to watch it and don't like it, LOL! Keith

Hawkswill wrote:

Perhaps you should focus on the entire movie and the scenes that count, like the fire fighting ones instead of some silly background cars. As we know, all movies have mistakes in them. This happens to be a very highly regarded film. Guess the people who rate them were more interested in what the movie was about. HAH, when I posted that the info man must have really known what he was doing, I had forgotten it was Red Adair....THE expert and the movie was loosely based on his life. Way to go Peter. Will be a real shame if you finally get to watch it and don't like it, LOL! Keith

I thought you also wanted folks to say negative things as well?? Perhaps not?
      The great things about this board is we all have an opinion and we allow members theirs.

This movie I might add, is not that highly regarded by all.
      The action shots are great but the movie that surrounds them is just awful.
      It's badly acted and in my opinion, not one of the stars comes out with any credit.

It is also the 'silly things' that diminish the real heroics,
      and the movie is dragged down as a result of them.
      How could they film live oil fires and surround them with 'cheap' scenes
      By the way I will focus on movies in anyway I chose!
      Best Wishes
      Keith
      London- England

The post was edited 6 times, last by ethanedwards ().

ethanedwards wrote:

I thought you also wanted folks to say negative things as well?? Perhaps not?
      The great things about this board is we all have an opinion and we allow members theirs.

This movie I might add, is not that highly regarded by all.
      The action shots are great but the movie that surrounds them is just awful.
      It's badly acted and in my opinion, not one of the stars comes out with any credit.

It is also the 'silly things' that diminish the real heroics,
      and the movie is dragged down as a result of them.
      How could they film live oil fires and surround them with 'cheap' scenes
      By the way I will focus on movies in anyway I chose!

Hmm, my last post must not have gone through. Of course negative things are always appreciated as they start conversations instead of just reading about what the net says. And you got one heck of one going, LOL. Just hope Peter likes the MOVIE when he gets it!
      I liked all the characters and enjoyed their interactions. All in all, the movie was most pleasant to me and very exciting. Sorry that you found it so awful. However there are a great many out there for you to enjoy, so not to worry. Keith2