Red River (1948)

There are 146 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 228,038 times. The latest Post () was by MichaelHarrison.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Hi Chester

I think it was from around 2003. I taped it from TV. It has come out quite well surprisingly. Certainly when showing on TV via DVD it is great. I will giving it an airing via DVD projector later on. I have tweeked connections between VCR and DVD recorder and improved sharpness. I am not a real fan of colorised but that is one of the best transfers I have seen.

Mike

• I heard Red River on RadioClassics the other day. Wayne, Dru and Brennen were in it, but Clift was not. Just wondering if anyone else has heard the story on the radio. They cut it down to just one hour.

Stay thirsty my friends.

• Hi

For many days the party travelled south through Texas, they went through country were people thought a good herd of cattle good be raised but Tom Dunson always seemed to find something wrong.

Finally after many days of weary travelling they came to a spot where the land looked good. All day Dunson had been getting off of his horse and feeling and smelling the grass. Suddenly he said' "This is it. This is where we start growing good beef".

Regards

Arthur

• Hi

Following the herd stampeding when the reckless actions of Kennally a young cowboy causes the death of Dan Latimer (Harry Carey jr). Dunson decides to punish him by whipping him. In an attempt to stop him Kunnelly goes for his gun, but it is Mat who draws first and wounds the young cowboy. Later Dunson asked Matt why he had intervened?

"Because you would have shot him between the eyes.
    "Just as sure as your standing there" growled Dunson.

Regards

Arthur

• Hi

On the way to Missouri a young cowboy named Suter (William Self) rides into the camp he tell Dunson that he was with a cattle herd that had been attacked by Missouri border raiders and after an attempt to lynch him had failed he had managed to escape with his life.

Suter also reveals that an indian trader named Chisum had told them that there was a shorter trail to Abilene where there was a railroad.

The existence of a shorter safer route and Dunson's refusal to even consider changing his mind, leads the trail herders into open revolt in gunfight two are killed and Dunson is wounded in the leg.

The next morning they find that three more have deserted during the night and Cherry Valance (John Ireland) is ordered to take another man and bring them back.

Regards

Arthur

• Hi

Two days later Cherry returns with Larado (Dan White) and Teeler (Paul Fix) the deserters.
    Dunson growled at them
    "You two! ou signed on for the drive. You signed on to finish it. You stole beans and flour and cartidges. besides being deserters on what you sign, your'e common thieves."
    "The Law might see it different" said Larado.
    "I'm the law" snapped Dunson. "I say you two are thieves.Anything more to say either of you?"
    Teeler spoke.
    "I know what you're going to do with us, but first I want to tell you something
    "Go ahead" said Dunson.
    "You're crazy you've been drinking and you havent been sleeping, and if your not crazy you're only a skins thickness away from it".
    "Have you finished?" growled Dunson.
    Teeler was defiant
    "No I haven't. You want to get this herd to market? Well so do all of us. We've anted to all of the time. That's why we came. But why not take it to Abeline? But you won't listen to that. You want to drive them to Missouri although everything is against you getting them there".
    Dunson attempted to speak but Teeler wasn't done.
    "I've not finished yet. We've had to listen to your views more than long enough. Now you can listen to me. You mean to go to Missouri. You'll get there even if it means losing every head of cattle. But this herd doesn't only just belong to you it belongs to every hungry person in the state. I know I shouldn't have run away; I should have stayed and put a bullet in you. I signed a pledge sure. But you're no longer the man I signed it with".
    "Have you finished?"
    Teeler nodded.
    I'm going to hang you," Dunson announced.
    "I'm going to hang you two"
    "No you're not2, came a slow but steady answer.
    "What" cried Dunson.
    "You are not going to hang them" Matt said quietly and firmly.
    "Who'll stop me?"
    "I will"
    As the two men faced each other teeler went for his gun only to have it shot out of his hand by Matt.
    Turning to the men Matt said.
    "Do you want to finish the drive Teeler?"
    "Where are we going?"
    "Abilene"
    "Whose heading the drive?" asked the men.
    "I am" Matt replied.
    "What about Dunson?"
    "He stays here. We're taking the herd. it's the only thing to be done.*

* Extract taken from The Boys Cinema Annual 1950.

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• Hi

Still mucking it up however we'll go on

Matt went to Nadine

H
    "How about you Groot?"
    "You were wron Mr Dunson. I've been with you plenty of years and up till now right or wrong, I've always done what you say. Got to be kind of a habit with me. I guess - so thats why I'm staying with you."

"Go with them for all I care" snapped Dunson.

"Thanks for making it easy" answered Groot
    "All right Matt I'm coming with you.

Regards

Arthur

• Hi

Before leaving with the herd Matt came across to Dunson making sure he had enough food to get back to Texas.
    "If there's any chance at all we'll get your herd to Abilene."
    "You should have let Teeler kill me" said Dunson.
    "Because now I'm left alive I'm going to kill you. I'll catch up with you. Every time you turn around expect to see me - because one time you'll turn around and I will be there. Then I'll kill you Matt.

Regards

Arthur