The Train Robbers (1973)

There are 167 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 152,965 times. The latest Post () was by lasbugas.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• I enjoy this film though while nowhere near his best, it ranks high up there with his most entertaining. I watched this last night and one scene in particular caught my attention and held a lot of meaning for me, the one where he's talking to Ben...

(Paraphrased obviously)

and for how it actually played out

Wayne: "I hate to Tell you this, but whether you like it or not... you're a man and you're stuck with it. You'll find yourself standing your ground, and fighting when you oughta run... speaking out when you oughta keep your mouth shut... doing things that will seem wrong to a lot of people.. but you'll do them all the same."

So close >_<

Anyway I have that sound clip should some one want it.

• Hello all,

I was wondering if you guys could help me out. I'm looking for a quote from the movie The Train Robbers.
    It is the scene where Ben Johnson and Ann Margart are speaking about the Duke's character, and they are discussing his friendship with the Duke. They talk about walking up a lot of hills with him...

Can someone post the conversation or let me know if there is a place I can check it online???

• 25 minutes into the movie Ben Johnson(Jessie) and Ann-Margret(Ms Lowe) are sitting around the fire talking about how they all met during he Civil War and there was a situation where 100 men where ordered up a hill at Vicksburg and how only 3 made it to the top, Duke(Lane), Rod Taylor(Grady) and Jessie and then how they have been going up hills with each other ever since. Also just a bit later on you find out the Lane was married but his wife died a year later and they all went up the "hill" with Lane as well.

Life is hard, its even harder when your stupid!!
    -John Wayne

• I like this film, although as others have said it certainly isn't one of Duke's best. I think they should have cut some of the scenes where they were just riding their horses with nothing being said. Ben Johnson was great as always.

7/10.

• Here's an example of the book of the movie. This copy has seen better days, but being a Duke movie novelization....it was well read. Enjoy!

Mark

"I couldn't go to sleep at night if the director didn't call 'cut'. "

• It's one of the Movies I liked as Child (also because of Ann-Marget) but nowadays I only can wonder. It's nice to see Ben Johnson and Rod Taylor as Duke's Buddies. Never cared who the other two were. Ann-Marget looks fantastic (clean and washed without any dirt) the whole movie and I don't know how this is possible with all the dust and the desert scenes. The role of Ricardo Montalban is more like a cameo. The shootout in the desert is one of the worst I've ever seen. Not to forget the silly scene with the mule. Interesting for me I always can remember the twist at the end. It's makes the movie more fun but in a way Duke and his friends are looking like a bunch of old losers who were stupid enough to help a beautiful young woman who betrayed them.

I agree with one of the posts above that Duke's line about the baby is one of the best of the movie. The photography of the landscapes are great no doubt about it but I expected to see more remarkable Scenes with Duke. A mediocre Movie and one of them I wished John Wayne hadn't done.:wink:

"You're too good to give a chance to." John Wayne as Cole Thornton in El Dorado (1966)

• Here is a Fun John Wayne Film To Watch With a Great Cast, and was Prodused by The Duke's Oldest Son Mike Wayne !
    "THE TRAIN ROBBERS"
    :ph34r:
    And has some Great Close-Ups of Duke and the other Actors !!
    :wink_smile:
    By The Time this Film is Over They Kill Every One But The Camera Man !!!
    :fear2:
    Chilibill
    :cowboy:

[extendedmedia]

[/extendedmedia]

[extendedmedia]

[/extendedmedia]