Idol Of The Crowds (1937)

There are 28 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 39,939 times. The latest Post () was by supb25.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• I was looking at the early parts of John Wayne's filmography, and I found it really interesting that he was in a hockey movie. Of course, that movie has never had an official release, but there are a few sellers on ebay claiming that it's in the public domain. I'm tempted to buy it, but I feel like actually spending money for it (I get most of my old movies from the library) will put too much pressure on it to be something more than an amusing curiosity.

To anyone who has seen Idol of the Crowds, if I'm interested in the movie because I think the idea of John Wayne being in a hockey movie is amusing, is it worth buying to satisfy my curiosity? I'm also kinda curious about old-school hockey (like, before they wore helmets) in general. Is there much actual gameplay to speak of, or is it all just character drama off the rink?

• I was looking at the early parts of John Wayne's filmography, and I found it really interesting that he was in a hockey movie. Of course, that movie has never had an official release, but there are a few sellers on ebay claiming that it's in the public domain. I'm tempted to buy it, but I feel like actually spending money for it (I get most of my old movies from the library) will put too much pressure on it to be something more than an amusing curiosity.

To anyone who has seen Idol of the Crowds, if I'm interested in the movie because I think the idea of John Wayne being in a hockey movie is amusing, is it worth buying to satisfy my curiosity? I'm also kinda curious about old-school hockey (like, before they wore helmets) in general. Is there much actual gameplay to speak of, or is it all just character drama off the rink?

Yes, I've seen it, but can't remember much of it now.

If you are an avid collector of very old Duke movies of course it's a must,
    but remember, they were pretty ropey with Duke featuring lightly in mostly contrived movies

Idol Of The Crowds (1937)

By the way WELCOME
    I have also welcomed you in our Welcome thread

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

Edited 2 times, last by ethanedwards ().

• Does anyone know if Duke did any actual skating or hockey playing in this film?

Tbone

"I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends respect me. The others can do whatever the hell they please."

• I watched “Idol of the Crowds” recently. JW having grown up in California didn’t know anything about ice skating but did ok- he was a great athlete! There’s not that much skating- he played to make money to operate a chicken farm!!! It’s cute and corny - he’s a kind of guardian of an orphan who gets hurt when the bad guys go after JW and get the kid by mistake. I read somewhere that after it was done filming he spent a couple of days in hospital ??? Don’t know if that’s true and can’t remember where I read it! I know his ankles probably ached!!!