Jet Pilot (1957)

There are 105 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 84,024 times. The latest Post () was by lasbugas.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Wow, Keith, this is pretty biting criticism!

In talking about this movie before, the general concensus was that it wasn't one of his better movies, but it had some neat flying scenes, which made up for it.

We enjoyed seeing Chilibill's latest addition to his web site regarding Jet Pilot.

Chester :newyear:

• Jet Pilot. What can you say???

Once again the familiar old Ninotchka plot gets dusted off and updated for the cold war situation going on at the time. I will say this though, Jet Pilot may be a bad movie, but at least it is interesting to watch. It definitely falls into the category of "lesser Duke," yet at the same time it is entertaining.

Poor Josef von Sternberg was one of the best directors of the 1930's, but by the time this one was made, he was reduced to directing B-pictures for RKO. The seven-year layoff between the time this was shot and the time it was released also meant that it officially went into the record books as von Sternberg's last picture.

Folks who criticize Duke for making this movie have to remember that he had a contract with RKO at the time and likely had no choice about what pictures Howard Hughes assigned him to.

By the way, for those of you who enjoy this movie (and even those who don't), you may want to also check out The Iron Petticoat (1956), starring Bob Hope and Kate Hepburn. The plot is very similar to Jet Pilot, but it is written as straight comedy. It works much better that way.

E.J.

"I am not intoxicated - yet." McLintock!

• Hi,
    I have been researching all the threads, back to the start of the JWMB,
    looking for previous discussion, relating to the movies.
    I have found the following, comments, and have copied them here,
    so that they are now under one forum:-

Take Off For Jet Pilot, it's not all that bad

Itdo
    post Feb 14 2004, 09:55 PM

I was re-visiting JET PILOT today and thought I let you know.
    I have an old 35mm print of the original release which is rare because Howard Hughes snatched up all the copies when he bought the film back and never showed it again, and it's all scratchy, needs a lot of attention, careful cleaning etc. (stupid hobby! for every minute I watch I do 5 minutes of cleaning) but the Technicolor is still vibrant, colors that just don't come out on a TV, no matter how good the DVD is. Anyway, the film wasn't a big success which is largely part of the belated release, when jets weren't all that new. But over time, the film made its way into the list of JW turkeys. Yet I feel it has a lot to offer.
    I think its photography is just beautiful, certainly one of the best Technicolor films of Wayne, in the ranks with Quiet Man and Yellow Ribbon. Seldom was he photographed as a romantic lover that well. Director Josef von Sternberg knew what he was doing. The amour fou was his trademark since his Marlene Dietrich classics. There are soft spots of green and pink, soft shadows on the faces - just honey. Wayne is at his self-confident best in the role of a military man (his scenes with Paul Fix are very relaxed, very good). The romance is built up pretty good. Writer Jules Furthman tried his way with the "I have to search you" scene which he repeated almost exactly in Rio Bravo with Chance/Feathers. There's some very funny dialogue concerning the Russkies and Cold War, which, with the distance of time, seem even funnier than what they must have been back then. Sort of a Ninotchka in the Wayne-World. The hightlights of the film are the airborne sequences: up until then when you had sequences like that, you saw models, etc. Here the air stunts are the real thing. One can only imagine how long it took to shoot those scenes! They're perfect not only as pictures in themselves but for their meaning of story development: The planes of Shannon and Anna act like lovers in a romantic ballet in the air. And Janet Leigh back then was just the hottest thing on two legs. So, in conclusion, when I wonder did someone decide that this has to be one of Wayne's worst movies?

Agree or disagree?

SaddleTramp
    post Feb 14 2004, 11:45 PM

to me you changed your mind from a turkey to a dove.Well the "DUKE" can do that to you. I haven't seen JET PILOT yet but after your unbiased review I will try to get it some time. John Wayne does have some turkey films,my pick is the Barbarian and the Geisha but thats just my opinion. I have collected to date 91 of his films and I can say that there are a few turkeys. But when you collect you collect RIGHT!!! When I see some of the garbage that comes on our satellite tv now a days it doesn't take long to find a "DUKE" film that I haven't seen for awhile(some times it's not that long).When I come in from checking Hiefers that are calving at three in the morning it doesn't take long to pop in one of his tapes. I am back out checking every half hour so it is nice to stop a tape or dvd and pick up where I left off. I guess I am one of the dinasaurs left over from times gone by but I wouldn't change my life as a cattleman-cowboy with anyone(Mad Cow has been a real Bi#*H). I guess that is why I am a DUKE fan. He never said quit and neither will I. The Jet Pilot is definitely on my gotta have list. Watch the DUKE with a Friend....SaddleTramp.... PS...When it comes to the Dukes Turkeys I just believe they are Doves in disguise Right!!!!....ST...

chester7777
    post Feb 17 2004, 08:07 AM

Believe it or not, Jet Pilot is one of my favorite JW films (not quite into the Top 25 category, but up there nonetheless). As with your perspective, I really enjoyed it because of the aerial photography and sequences, with the jets flying through the clouds with the bright blue sky. In my mind, that made up for the movie plot, which was a bit slow at times. All in all, it was a pretty fun movie, and these jets were the same kind I remember as a young kid, with all of my friends, getting interested in military airplanes.

William T Brooks
    post Feb 17 2004, 11:59 AM

Chester7777; They were the same type of aircraft that I flew in the early 1950s in the Korean Conflict. I loved the flying scenes but did not care for the story line. Only Howard Hughes could have set up this type of flying scenes ! Chilibill :cowboy:

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• Hi,
    I have been researching all the threads, back to the start of the JWMB,
    looking for previous discussion, relating to the movies.
    I have found the following, comments, and have copied them here,
    so that they are now under one forum:

Jet Pilot, Duke The Jet Pilot

William T Brooks
    post Dec 19 2004, 03:59 PM

Ringo; Just got thru watching "JET PILOT" on "AMC Duke Weekend" and I think you had ask about "MIG ALLEY" in the Korean War and this was just after the War ended and the film was Released in 1957.
    Because I was a Pilot at this time I had to watch the film. Duke made a very good jet pilot in the film, but think the story was a little weak but the Flyiny Scenes by Howard Hughes were Great as they all ways were when Howard did a flying film!
    The aircraft that they came back to the U.S. in the end of the film is the same kind of Aircraft that I stay Current in Jets in and have to do each year in a T-33 and that was not a U.S.S.R.aircraft, but a U.S.A. trainer in the 1950s. I must go now but I will be back later and tell you more about Duke and "Jet Pilot" and "MIG ALLEY"!!! Chilibill :cowboy:

chester7777
    post Dec 19 2004, 04:11 PM

Chilibill isn't pulling our leg, as about a year ago, he sent me a video of himself being
    re-certified in a T33 down in Texas. Very interesting as, since I was a kid, the T33 has been one of my favorite airplanes.
    The flying scenes in Jet pilot are some of my most enjoyed in a John Wayne film also.

The Ringo Kid
    post Dec 19 2004, 09:20 PM

:cowboy: Greetings Mr. Brooks, Chester.
    I watched Jet Pilot the other night as well. It was my first time having a chance to watch the movie from beginning to ending. I loved the flying scenes too. You are correct, I was wanting to hear what you had to say about Mig Alley. I do not know if my father ever saw any of the air war or not. IN Korea he was in an Air Force Weather Detachment stationed on the top of some hill in Korea. Now in WWII, he was in B-17 Flying Forts as a Ball Turret Gunner. I would greatly enjoy hearing anything you have to say about Mig Alley. I am in the midst of trying to contact some A/F Vets who were there.
    A T33, is that not the aircraft that has the two gastank-like things on the wingtips?
    Take care Gentlemen, and best regards--TRK.

falc04
    post Dec 20 2004, 03:02 PM

I enjoy 'Jet Pilot' very much! My feelings, on why the film is always considered to be one of Duke's worst, is that people are watching it in the wrong mindset. It is not an action picture, or drama....but a light-hearted comedy. There are many amusing back-and-forth conversations between Jim and Anna. Plus, as arthurarnell has mentioned, the technicolor photography is outstanding!

Stumpy
    post Dec 20 2004, 03:13 PM

QUOTE(arthurarnell @ Dec 20 2004, 04:07 AM)
    Janet leigh looked very good. I have a couple of photographs including a head and shoulders one of miss Leigh which she autographed for me. Nice lady.
    I thought Janet was one of the best looking and sexiest women in Hollywood. I especially liked her in "Scaramouche" and "The Vikings".

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• Despite the mixed reviews of this movie, it is available on DVD from Amazon, if you want to spend a bundle of money - starting at $52.95 :o !

IT is a little more affordable in VHS format, at less than $20 (that would include shipping).

This is another one that I think might be available within a year or two, at a reasonable price, on DVD.

Interestingly enough, it is on eBay on DVD, so far quite inexpensive (but with 5 days to go).

• Hi all,
    I watched Jet Pilot and surprisingly quite like it. It is such a funny movie! Of course it is very far from reality, but I enjoy it. And I completly agree with all that was said here regarding this film.
    The flights there are beautiful! And it is all real flights!
    Regards,
    Vera :rolleyes:

• So Jet Pilot is destined to be picked on. I thought it was a mediocre movie, but not the worst way I have ever spent two hours. I liked all the scenes with the planes and they seem to overshadow the rest of the movie. It's like watching a Yellow Submarine or A Hard Day's Night. In those films it seems like the main point of the plot is to get to the next scene of the beatles playing a song (not that there's anything wrong with that or those movies, I've seen both more than ten times) and this feels the same way, but replace songs with flying scenes.

I was hoping that there would be a surprise ending with him leaving her behind and escaping back to the US. But instead it had the same 'happy' ending where everything wraps up in the sweetest possible way. I was a little disappointed, but since there was nothing I could do to change it, I thought I might as well enjoy it.

[SIZE=3]That'll Be The Day[/SIZE]

• I liked the movie as well. I think John Wayne is at his best in westerns, but I enjoyed this movie because of the flying scenes, the humour and the way it was shot (beautifull scenes and very colourfull).

• Jet Pilot is on this DVD. Your best bet is to get this on-line. There are a total of 5 movies on this DVD.

Cheers :cool:

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote

• More than likely the worst John Wayne movie ever and that includes The Conqueor and my other old unfavourite Tycoon.

Hughes did John a big favour keep Jet Pilot & The Conqueor out of circulation
    for years.

The ironic thing is in my film collecting days the most easily obtained full features of John Wayne after Stagecoach was Jet Pilot & The Conqueor which were both issued by Universal 8 and wait for it some collectors paid £150.00- £200 to collect them new. Many were seen languishing on second hand lists for years at the £50.00 range.

The last time I attempted to watch Jet Pilot was in VHS videos days. Even the music worked against it. I have no urge to have it on DVD but others feel free to collect.

Mike

• I haven't changed my mind!

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• I enjoy Jet Pilot, precisely because it's so completely silly. It's of course easy to say decades later, at the time I might have felt embarrassed too

I don't believe in surrenders.

• Wow! What a difference a year makes. Now you can get 5 JW movies (including Jet Pilot) on DVD for around $20! The VHS has dropped down to around $6 at Amazon, the film by itself on DVD is available "used and new" at Amazon for over $20, and only available at Deep Discount in the American Icon Collection (they do have movie posters, too).

• In 1957 shortly after They had Released "The Wings of Eagles" RKO Released another John Wayne Aviation Film "Jet Pilot" that had Janet Leigh as the Russian Lady Pilot.
    :heart:
    It is true the Story was Not Much, But the Flying Sceens done By Howard Hughes were Breath Taking !!!
    :angel1:
    Below is a Picture Story about "Jet Pilot."
    :wink_smile:
    Another thing that I liked was on Duke's Dress Uniform was the 8th Air Force Patch , that I also had on my uniform back in the Early 1950s.
    :ohmy:
    At this time the U.S. Air Force did not have But one or two Russian Mtg-15s so all the Aircraft in the Film were U.S. Air Force Aircraft !
    :russia:

Chilibill

• A film I enjoying watching over and over again. It is said that upon completion, the film ran close to 3 hours, but was cut down to under 2 hours by the studio. I would very much like to see that first cut of the film, but I'm sure all that footage is long gone now.

Thanks for the link, I enjoyed seeing the movie again in still pictures.

• In the 1980s I did a T.V. Special for William R. Hearst that was the Head of what was known at that time as Hearst A.B.C. on Howard Hughes a Long time Friend of Bill Hearst jr.
    :wink:
    And got to go though the Hughes Private Vault in Texas, and the First Cut Of The Film was Still There, So it might not be Lost Forever !
    :teeth_smile:
    But I Do Not Think I am Going to Hold My Breath until they put it out in its original Form !!!
    :ohmy:
    Chilibill
    :cowboy: