Rio Lobo (1970)

There are 75 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 75,139 times. The latest Post () was by Aubrey.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• I never really warmed up to this movie. I have stated before elsewhere that it was a shame that this was the final Howard Hawks movie, because everyone, including Wayne, seems to be just going through the motions. In particular I singled out Jennifer O'Neill. She may have been better in other movies (I actually can't recall any other movie except "Scanners" which I watched because I love movies of Philip K. Dick's work). But here I thought she was pretty bad. I'm on record as saying she could have been replaced by a mannequin and no one would have noticed the difference.

I'm not entirely down on Christopher Mitchum, but he wasn't the equal to his daddy, that's for sure. Jorge Rivera was pretty good, but, really, a Mexican officer in the Confederate army? Maybe I just don't know my history, but it doesn't seem likely. Maybe a private...

• Had no idea Duke lost his mom and brother so close together.

Tbone

"I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends respect me. The others can do whatever the hell they please."

• Duke's brother...Bob Morrison...died of cancer...but he was also reportedly an alcoholic which might have contributed to his health issues. If he was like Duke he must have been a heavy smoker as well.

"It was me...I shot Liberty Valance."

• Is there anyone who likes "Rio Lobo" more than "Rio Bravo" and "El Dorado"?

I like all three films but Rio Bravo is the best in my opinion. Not taking anything away from the other two but the combination of Wayne, Dean Martin, Angie Dickinson, Walter Brennan and Ricky Nelson just makes it the better movie to me. One of my top favorite films.

• Rio Bravo is one of the finest westerns ever made...not just by Duke. The other two pale in comparison but Rio Lobo is probably the weakest of the three...but still not a bad movie by any means.

Both Rio Lobo and El Dorado were what Duke termed "pay the bills" movies.

"It was me...I shot Liberty Valance."

• Rio Bravo is one of the finest westerns ever made...not just by Duke. The other two pale in comparison but Rio Lobo is probably the weakest of the three...but still not a bad movie by any means.

Both Rio Lobo and El Dorado were what Duke termed "pay the bills" movies.

I liked "Rio Lobo" best because it felt like a spaghetti western, and it was on a more epic scale than the previous two movies.