Adventure's End (1937)

There are 50 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 83,046 times. The latest Post () was by lasbugas.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• I keep hoping someone will come across a copy of this film, and make it available.

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them" It may be time worn, but it's the best life-creed I know.

• These are great stills from one of the Duke's "lost" films that I am glad to see. I have some great news for all of you Duke fans (which is the reason I joined here) concerning Adventures End. I have been in contact with the Library of Congress (which I don't live far from) and have confirmed that they have a complete print of Adventures End! I was told that they do not make copies of the existing print for the public due to the cost that it would take to restore it and do all of the grunt work involved in the process. I was told that if the money was raised or if a studio paid the money to have it restored that it could be and they have done it in the past with other films in their vaults. They are also checking for a print of The Oregon Trail for me at the moment and if I get any more info on that lost gem I will certainly pass it along.

• These are great stills from one of the Duke's "lost" films that I am glad to see. I have some great news for all of you Duke fans (which is the reason I joined here) concerning Adventures End. I have been in contact with the Library of Congress (which I don't live far from) and have confirmed that they have a complete print of Adventures End! I was told that they do not make copies of the existing print for the public due to the cost that it would take to restore it and do all of the grunt work involved in the process. I was told that if the money was raised or if a studio paid the money to have it restored that it could be and they have done it in the past with other films in their vaults. They are also checking for a print of The Oregon Trail for me at the moment and if I get any more info on that lost gem I will certainly pass it along.

Thanks for that. I am researching the JW rare and lost films - always good to get news of these.

Be who you are & say what you feel Because those who mind dont matter & those who matter dont mind

• It has been suggested this movie is available
    However we believe the movie to be LOST
    and no copy in existence

As mentioned in a previous post some years ago, I talked to a video dealer on the phone who said he knows a collector with a 16mm print of Adventure's End.

One must keep in mind that the film was in theatrical circulation right up to the early 1950s, distributed by Realart Pictures who handled Universal re-issues.

I suspect the film was released to early television, which might explain the existence of the 16mm print -- the format used by television stations for many years.

• I remember this conversation from years ago. Do you still know of the video dealer, and how to get in touch with him? Collector's perspectives can change over the years, for one reason, or another. This Collector may be ready to start pumping out DVDs of Adventure's End, tomorrow ! :wink_smile:

Well, that may be a bit over optimistic . . .

Chester :newyear:

• Hey all, sorry I haven't posted any updates since my first post. I recently visited the Library Of Congress Film and Sound Division and they do have a complete print of Adventures End. I spoke to one of the curators there at length concerning this film and The Duke and was told again that it would take a studio or a large contribution of money to restore the print for public distribution. This has been done in the past though and I was told that it happened in the case of the first Three Stooges film "Soup To Nuts" that was restored and paid by a Three Stooges fan club. So there is hope! We are also still looking for that print of The Oregon Trail, which I will let everybody know once I have an answer. I've been spending a lot of time there lately. The Library of Congress viewing room does not allow the public to just come in off the street and view any film. You have to fit a certain criteria as in doing research (which I am trying to use as my excuse!) or making a documentary or publishing a book/article, etc. So I will let all of you know what my research comes up with!

• The collector with a 16mm print of Adventure's End has been asked a number of times if he would release the film to the public, with the answer being a resounding no. Even his own daughter has bugged him to do so.

The print is all the more valuable if it's not released to the public. That's the way some collectors think.

Just think of all the people -- wealthy people -- with archaeological treasures in their private collections that should be on display in museums for the public to see. I mean it's not an Egyptian or Sumerian artifact but a film treasure because of its rarity.

• Hey all, sorry I haven't posted any updates since my first post. I recently visited the Library Of Congress Film and Sound Division and they do have a complete print of Adventures End. I spoke to one of the curators there at length concerning this film and The Duke and was told again that it would take a studio or a large contribution of money to restore the print for public distribution. This has been done in the past though and I was told that it happened in the case of the first Three Stooges film "Soup To Nuts" that was restored and paid by a Three Stooges fan club. So there is hope! We are also still looking for that print of The Oregon Trail, which I will let everybody know once I have an answer. I've been spending a lot of time there lately. The Library of Congress viewing room does not allow the public to just come in off the street and view any film. You have to fit a certain criteria as in doing research (which I am trying to use as my excuse!) or making a documentary or publishing a book/article, etc. So I will let all of you know what my research comes up with!

Wow, Great to hear someone is on the "inside" looking around!
    Did the employee indicate just how much money they would need to restore this movie? We haven't had a good fund raiser around here in years! :wink_smile:

• Wow, Great to hear someone is on the "inside" looking around!
    Did the employee indicate just how much money they would need to restore this movie? We haven't had a good fund raiser around here in years! :wink_smile:

Would be a scoop if the JWMB came up with the release!

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• Let's hope this can be found, or the copy released.
    We were led to believe one of our members had a copy,
    but we have dismissed this as untrue.

I do not beleive it either. And even if they did it is tantamount to the same as it being in an archive and not being released.

Some collectors and thier pumped up sense of self-importance. Bit sad really.

Be who you are & say what you feel Because those who mind dont matter & those who matter dont mind

• Just my two cents here, but Adventure's End is not a "lost film". It may not be readily available, but since it does exist, I don't think it can be considered a "lost film." Just to solidify this in my own mind, I sent an email to the LOC regarding the existence of Adventure's End, and this is the reply I received:

I am encouraged by what the librarian says: "a reference copy can be made available for on-site viewing only." This tells me that it is possible to actually watch this film, if you happen to be at the LOC. And apparently it is conceivable that Universal (who holds the copyright) could grant permission to allow duplication and distribution of Adventure's End. I guess now we just have to convince them to do it!

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them" It may be time worn, but it's the best life-creed I know.

Edited once, last by Colorado Bob: Forgot to add a thought. ().

• Just my two cents here, but Adventure's End is not a "lost film". It may not be readily available, but since it does exist, I don't think it can be considered a "lost film." Just to solidify this in my own mind, I sent an email to the LOC regarding the existence of Adventure's End, and this is the reply I received:

I am encouraged by what the librarian says: "a reference copy can be made available for on-site viewing only." This tells me that it is possible to actually watch this film, if you happen to be at the LOC. And apparently it is conceivable that Universal (who holds the copyright) could grant permission to allow duplication and distribution of Adventure's End. I guess now we just have to convince them to do it!

Thanks for this Bob,
    our entry in
    Duke's Missing and Rare Movies
    is this

1937. ADVENTURES END- (Universal) *** LOC

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England