El Dorado (1967)

There are 177 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 184,523 times. The latest Post () was by lasbugas.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Hi Keith

I figured the changeover had something to do with it as I cannot imagine you making a goof like that. Incidentally I've been reading through many of the film threads and I have noticed that you have added a lot to them since the changeover, its all very impressive.

Well done and thanks.

:agent:

Regards
    Robbie

• Great movie, but I think it just edges out Rio Bravo. Just didn't care for Angie Dickinson's acting in that one, but I did notice her at the end of the movie in that little outfit.:stunned:

Stay thirsty my friends.

• Great movie, but I think it just edges out Rio Bravo. Just didn't care for Angie Dickinson's acting in that one, but I did notice her at the end of the movie in that little outfit.:stunned:

One picture is worth ten pages of script!:laugh:
    Cheers - Jay:beer:

Cheers - Jay:beer:
    "Not hardly!!!"

• Always enjoyed this movie. The only scene I wish they had redone was James Caan impersonating a Chinese man. Get real it would have needed to be a real dark night or very stupid guard. I think they could have thought of something better than that.

Other wise very good movie Michele Carey was much better looking than Angie Dickinson.

Mike

• I actually enjoyed that scene and still do, it would be classified as very un PC nowadays but I thought the imitation was just fine to arouse enough suspicion with the guard, remember he wasn't fooled but confused.

:agent:

Regards
    Robbie

• I just finished watching El Dorado and noticed a couple of things. I read all of the posts to see if anybody else noticed. When I read the first posts that described some of the goofs I had to laugh because I had noticed most of them, too.

When Duke is in the church shooting the bad guys, I noticed when the camera was aimed up through the bell tower I could see a bright blue sky instead of a night sky.

Also, and this is really more of an opinion, but, as beautiful as Duke's Appaloosa was, it seemed small under him compared to what I am accustomed to seeing him ride. And a few times he seemed to be unsteady under it, possibly because it was too small for all that man.... I had a horse that looked exactly like that, a mare named Misty.

I really liked this movie....

Cindy

• Well, what more can I say except this was a truly fine western of the old school with great chemistry between Wayne and Mitchum. I've sometimes thought the Duke needed a stronger co-star like Mitchum or Kirk Douglas in his later movies. This was the first John Wayne western I saw, one Christmas just after my grandfather had lent me a video cassette of The Longest Day - this was before we went DVD of course! If there are any flaws, I suppose Charlene Holt was a little weak, they needed a better actress like Angie Dickinson. Obviously the scene where James Caan impersonates a Chinese man would never be allowed today, though it was pretty funny! Overall this is my favourite Duke movie, not his best but his most entertaining IMO.

9/10.