The Comancheros (1961)

There are 179 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 172,682 times. The latest Post () was by DCtheQuietMan.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Chester I think your poster is better, with regards to Arthur's picture I don't feel the image looks anything like John Wayne.

I agree that in Arthur's poster, the image doesn't look as much like John Wayne as in the one I shared, but I like the action portrayed in Arthur's much better.

Chester :newyear:

• I agree that in Arthur's poster, the image doesn't look as much like John Wayne as in the one I shared, but I like the action portrayed in Arthur's much better.

Chester :newyear:

Arthur's poster does give a truer essence of the movie via the images of action, however the picture of John Wayne is too distracting. It bares little resemblance to the man himself and it also seems to depict John Wayne from the incorrect angle as he throws no left punches in this movie.

:agent:

Regards
    Robbie

• Thanks for sharing that, H.sanada. Great looking press shot.

Here are examples of the book and comic from the movie. Enjoy!

Mark

"I couldn't go to sleep at night if the director didn't call 'cut'. "

• Great Western and also one of my Dad's favourite Western. Watched it recently and still love it. The dialogues between John Wayne and Stuart Whitman are well scripted and fun. Yes it's a shame that both haven't done anyother Buddy Western again. :teeth_smile:
    Lee Marvin with his scalped head looks a bit weird but he is memorable in his little role.
    The photography is astonishing like the action scenes and the music of Elmer Bernstein. The Comancheros might not be the best western with the best story ever but everytime an entertaining pleasure. :thumbs_up:

"You're too good to give a chance to." John Wayne as Cole Thornton in El Dorado (1966)

• I heard or read somewhere that James Garner turned down the role of Paul Regret because he had just finished Maverick and didn't want to be type-cast as the slick western gambler. I imagine it could also be a case of one of the many actors who refused to work with John Wayne because of how small they would appear next to Duke.

James Garner and John Wayne would have made for a much better movie.

Can anyone think of another John Wayne movie that James Garner could have co-starred in? I suppose Garner could have easily done the journalist in The Green Berets. How about James Garner instead of Glenn Campbell in True Grit? What about as one of the brothers in The Sons of Katie Elder? I can't imagine any others from Garner's era that might have worked.

• James Garner would be a great replacement for Stuart Whitman. The role of Regret reminded me on Maverick. Nevertheless the chemistry between Whitman and Duke is great in Comancheros.
    I'm thinking of another Movie in which James Garner would be a great replacement: Rio Lobo.

"You're too good to give a chance to." John Wayne as Cole Thornton in El Dorado (1966)

• I have to laugh at Cutter drawling "Monsewer, you are a Lulu" every single time I hear it. I actually look forward to it.
    Jack Elam swings a mean rifle in this one.

We deal in lead, friend.

• hi
    i saw the comancheros when i was about 12 and i just loved the film.what a guy john wayne was.it had everything humor,the location of utah just wonderful the story great.so much the film got under my skin i called 1 of my sons jake and my other son scott after randolph scott my 2 second favourite actor

• The Comancheros was also filmed at these locations

FISHER TOWERS

Fisher Towers
    _________________________________________________________________________________

DEAD HORSE POINT STATE PARK

Dead Horse Point State Park

_______________________________________________________________________________

LA SAL MOUNTAINS

______________________________________________________________________________

PROFESSOR VALLEY

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• Great photos.
    Comancheros was broadcast in widescreen last night on the retroplex channel, right after Angel and the Badman, so I lost about four hours sleep.
    This movie is sooooo much better than anything churned out today. It looks effortless and is the kind of film I used to take for granted back then.
    The photography, music, script and actors are world class. Of course, most of the cast and crew had worked on The Alamo. I think I even recognized one of the longhorns (a brown one) from Alamo.
    The only quibble I have is about the dates in the movie and the repeating weapons and Joan O'Brien's screen husband wasn't killed by a Mexican cannon shot at San Jacinto. I don't think Santa Anna's army even fired a cannon in that "fracas".

We deal in lead, friend.

• The only thing bad about it is: it's on AMC. They used to be commercial free - meaning they showed movies without interruption. Now they tend to chop them up without a 2nd thought.

I will say, after watching The Commencheros there are two things: first, they didn't really do a bad job with it as far as editing goes, and secondly - did anyone else notice a very young Dennis Cole in the dance sequence on the riverboat scence near the start?

I've seen this movie nearly 15 times, and I only noticed him THIS time!!!

• I will say, after watching The Commencheros there are two things: first, they didn't really do a bad job with it as far as editing goes, and secondly - did anyone else notice a very young Dennis Cole in the dance sequence on the riverboat scence near the start?

I've seen this movie nearly 15 times, and I only noticed him THIS time!!!

Thanks for this snippet.
    I have also copied your post to the dedicated movie thread

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• Watched it today, fantastic, but boy was there a lot of heavy falls, Horses and stunt guys had what looked very much like some nasty rollovers with Horses falling on their legs etc, i dont think it was planned stunt work.

• I still have hopes for a remastered DVD release.

That would be great. I remember about 7-8 yrs ago, they re-released The Searchers on DVD and offered a two disc set that I bought. They remastered it and it looked like a totally new film. I wish they put more Duke movies on Blu-Ray, too.

• Gotta love those "Wayne-isms" huh -
    I too often find myself having a he he he to myself over them.