She Wore A Yellow Ribbon (1949)

There are 215 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 286,797 times. The latest Post () was by Nathan.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• If anyone wants to buy me one of these, I will gladly send you M.I.B. General Eisenhauer, The Mercury Astronaut and the other Astronaut G.I. Joes for pay for this figure. :wink_smile: The Gen Ike is worth about $90.00 bucks, the Mercury Astronaut will sky-rocket in value since the death of Wally Shirra, and the other Astronaut is worht about $70.00 bucks.

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

• Arthur, thanks for posting those neat posters. Do you own all of them? I know what you mean about having some of them hanging on the wall. Many of the old posters really are works of art in their own right.

DS, thanks for posting about the music.

This thread is a great example of Jay's remark that this message board is like the graduate school of John Wayne, with all the different details and information about different movies.

And to add a little more, here are some reissue posters of She Wore A Yellow Ribbon, from 1954 and 1957 respectively. Certainly not ones I would feel compelled to hang on my wall.

She Wore a Yellow Ribbon-1954 reissue poster.jpg

She Wore a Yellow Ribbon-1957 reissue poster.jpg

• A few months ago, I was trying to drum up some support for the Pop List poll, and joined a number of John Wayne related groups on Yahoo so I could post the request for help. One of the groups that has a decent sized membership, and is fairly active, is johnwaynefans. The admin/moderator of that group is Clive Woollands of the UK, and he is a registered member here (but hasn't posted yet) by the user name of chisum2. While researching his Yahoo site, I noticed one of the features, Film Facts, in which he chooses a different film each week or so and shares some trivia about the film. It's about a paragraph long, and offers some interesting information which nicely complements information in each of our movie threads (of course, some information is duplicated).

I asked Clive's permission to re-post his Film Facts here in our forum, and he graciously consented. He also indicated that in the future, he will share here each week as he posts in his own forum.

So now I will share with you Clive's Film Facts for this film -

I would like to post every week film facts about Some John Wayne films and I would like to start with She Wore A Yellow Ribbon.

Production: Argosy Pictures Corporation.
    Screenplay by Frank Nugent and Laurence Stalling.
    Cinematographer was Winton C. Hoch.
    Artistic director was James Basevi.
    Composer was Richard Hageman.
    Editor was Jack Murray.
    Distribution by RKO Pictures.
    Locations were Monument Valley, Utah; Kanab and Moab, Utah; Pathe Studioss, Los Angeles.
    Cost of production was $1.6 million. Box office taking were $2.7 million.
    Date of production was Summer 1949.
    The film received only one oscar nomination for Winton C. Hoch's
    cinematography. He won.
    Co-writer Laurence Stallings was an ex-marine who lost his leg fighting in World War 1. He wrote the anti-war play What Price Glory, filmed in 1952 by John Ford.
    The Scene where Sergeant Quincannon (Victor McLaglen) asks his troops who owns a dog and says "Nice dog! Irish setter!" was re-shot several times because McLaglen kept calling the dog a "cocker spaniel".
    Ribbon's" $2.7 million box office showing, with figures adjusted for inflation, makes it the 33rd most successful western of all time, ahead of both The Wild Bunch and The Outlaw Josey Wales.

Hope you liked this film Fact.

• Did someone bring that dog in or was it a local dog that just followed everyone around on the set? I enjoy the dog in the film he's a fast running rascal. It seemed there were 2 dogs.

Mister you better find yourself another line of work, cause this one sure DON"T fit your PISTOL!

• What a great story Bill, One of my favorite parts is Victor saying nice dog Irish setter and of course swimming the English Channel with an anvil on me chest. I've often wondered where you were in the movie. Now when I watch it I'll pause it and tell the wife thats Chili Bill 5th from the left. What a cool job you had and to be with Ford and Wayne man it don't get any better than that. After I get over these treatments in a year. The mrs. & I plan to visit the 26 bar if not sooner. Thanks for the info.

Mister you better find yourself another line of work, cause this one sure DON"T fit your PISTOL!

• Hello William T Brooks
    Just a short note to tell you how much I appreciate the great job you did!
    I am quite impressed with your thread. what!s more fun than knowing a actor
    belonged John Ford's Stock Company.
    Please let me attach the picture from your thread again.

and brick
    i like dogs too.i appreciate your really nice thread you send.
    i am envious to do a plan you live in the States and to visit
    the Bar 26 ranch for.

Regards,
    H.sanada

• Brick and H. sanada;
    Because you said that you liked the last Post about the Film "Yellow Ribbon" you might like this Story also?
    :wink_smile:
    After the Film was Released later that Year and was Shown at the Old Fox Theater in Phoenix, all those Pretty Young Girls Treated me Like A Movie Star, even if I was only on the Big Screen for about 10 Seconds !!!
    :hyper:
    After they had formed the Stunt Mans Union, the Produsers and Directors could not Get-Away with this any more, you Had to Belong to the Union to do any Stunts !
    :yeaahh:

Chilibill
    (bud)

• Bill

I also rather enjoyed this story and thanks for sharing it with us. On another note I think you should centralise your website with a homepage and links etc to the different topics. There is quite a lot of good information on your site at the moment and with a little bit of organisation it would be a good site to visit.

:agent:

Regards
    Robbie

• William T Brooks

Great your experiences.
    What's a impressive stunt.
    Young Chilibill shoud surely have been popular among young girls.

Dogs that co-stared with Duke were famous ,Sam in Hondo, Clancy in
    The North to Alaska, dog(called Dog) in Big Jake.
    and I'll add them mongrel Navajo dog in Yellow Ribbon.
    dogs can be often seen in the Western films.
    but, how about cats?
    I can't remember exept just one cat named general in True Grit.

Regards,
    H.sanada

Sometimes kids ask me what a pro is. I just point to the Duke.
    ~Steve McQueen~

• Hi Hi Sanada

That cat is also in "Rooster Cogburn," I don't know if its the same cat (in real life) or not as the one in "True Grit,"I would assume it probably is not.

Regarding dogs there is also one in "The Searchers," which plays quite an important role within the movie as does the dog in "The Green Berets".

:agent:

Regards
    Robbie

• Hi Robbie
    Thanks for your information.
    Yes, The cat in Rooster Cogburn is so nice, he (or she )likes beer!

And the dog in The Searchers ,when Eathan sat on the porch lonely, the dog sat also with him. it was a very impressive scene.
    oh,i had remembered another dog in films,
    In The Stagecoach, a black cat are running in the street before gunfight.
    black cat is an unlucky symbol in west?

Regards,
    H.sanada

Sometimes kids ask me what a pro is. I just point to the Duke.
    ~Steve McQueen~

• Hey Bill, what other films were you in?

• Inspired to watch She Wore a Yellow Ribbon today to review what fading is evident in DVD print. It isnt bad and there are signs of negative wear and some scenes are fine colour wise I think the fading issue is more evident in Monument Valley scenes were they do appear more washed out. I think this is more surprising knowing that this was filmed in Technicolor. I know from seeing other prints such as 35mm and even 16mm/8mm that they was definitely stronger colours present with them. I wonder will there be a reissue of this film with a remastered print on DVD

Mike

• An enjoyable cavalry romp, I may watch this again later on today

The memorable, stand out scene is when Duke receives his watch from the troop and then retires

Great movie