Did You Know.........................

There are 29 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 20,468 times. The latest Post () was by FarmerSteve.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• This trivia forum is about John Wayne the person. Some things you might not know about him and the many things he has done for so many that may not have involved in the picture making.

Did you know.........

...........Duke had a ranch in Durango, Mexico called La Joya, "The Jewel".

...........at a SHARE Benefit for mentally disturbed children, Duke sang "Home on the Range"?

...........Duke was going to become a lawyer before the movies turned him into a star.

Cheers B)

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote

• To quote Johnny Carson: "I did not know that."

John Bernard Books (The Shootist):
    "I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them."

• It was in fact a shoulder injury that resulted in Dukes footballing scholarship being rebuked, he therefore could not afford to pay for his education so he took up prop jobs at the local fox studio.

:agent:

Regards
    Robbie

• Did you know that .................................

............some of Duke's hobbies were playing chess, bridge, poker and going on deep sea fishing cruises?

............he had a size 18 neck and wore size 11 boot?

............he had a perforated eardrum?

............collected walking canes?

Cheers B)

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote

• Hi Sue,
    In addition to Hondo's informative thread, we also had this discussion,
    relating to Duke's personality and trivia,
    here is the link below:-

John Wayne-The Man,his personality,his personal choices

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• Did you know that..............................

.....Duke was the name of his dog when he was a boy and the Glendale Fire Department called his dog an Airedale "Big Duke" and John Wayne was called "little Duke." When Wayne got taller, he was called Duke by the firemen.

.....Both John Wayne and Janet Leigh's last name was Morrison before they were stars.

.....The John Wayne Adventure Comics were first printed in the winter of 1948. The last issue was #31, printed in May 1955. These were printed by "Toby Press."

.....The aircraft carrier USS Philippine Sea was used in The Wings of Eagles

- John Wayne quote

• Did you know that ..............

................ John Wayne was born Marion Robert Morrison.

................ Brannigan is the only John Wayne movie in which every gunshot wound is visible.

................ Vera Miles was the last person John Wayne shared a passionate screen kiss with.

................. John Wayne used to suffer dunking (having his head held under water) while he was a footballer at college. This happened if Duke broke any of the set rules. On one occassion Duke went out for the night and came back very late, several senior college boys got him and held his head under water. Duke however had been prepared for this eventuality and had put some tomato ketchup in his mouth prior to having his head held underwater, when his head was underwater he spat out the ketchup and the boys released him immedietly thinking it was blood. However Duke started laughing when he was released and the boys then realised what had happened so they held his head underwater for a very long time.

Robbie
    :agent:

Regards
    Robbie

• Katharine Hepburn Said that Duke had a pair of small sensitive feet, Pretty Dancing Feet. So Kate must have Seen His Bare Feet at Sometime! :D

We have Two Pair of Duke's Boots Here at the 26 Bar Ranch, one Pair are His Fancy Dress Boots and are Size 10 1/2 D., :o and the other pair are a Pair of His Old Movies Boots that He used in the 1950s and 1960s, and are a Size 12 1/2 with Paper Stuffed in the Toes of the Boots so that His feet would look right for His Body Size in the Films. :rolleyes:

Duke had a Very Small Feet for a Man of His Size of 6 Foot 4 Inches, and Wore a 10 1/2 D. Shoe Size in His off Screen Life. :)

Chilibill :cowboy:

• John Wayne . . . . . .

. . . . . . . . had a box at Dodger Stadium but rarely used it.

. . . . . . . . favorite crime show was Hawaii FIve-O.

. . . . . . . . liked to cook.

. . . . . . . . had a television set mounted in his bedroom ceiling.

Cheers :cool:

- John Wayne quote

• I especially liked the thing about his shoe size. I have 11's. Pretty funny to say I have bigger feet then Duke did.

Life is hard, its even harder when your stupid!!
    -John Wayne

• Did you know that John Wayne . . . . . . . .

. . . . . . . . . collected comic books, Kachina western dolls, and cowboy outfits?

. . . . . . . . . didn't watch his old movies because of the editiong and the westerns lost effect on small television screens?

. . . . . . . . . had his boots made by Lucchese Boot Company in San Antronio, Texas?

. . . . . . . . . favorite horse wsa named Banner? He used Banner in every Wayne western from 1940-54.

. . . . . . . . . owned "26 Bar Ranch" in Stanfield Arizona, consisting of 17,000 acres? It was headquartered in Springerville, Arizona.

Cheers :cool:

- John Wayne quote

• I knew the last one as Bill give's us the stories from the ranch. Thanks for the rest of the trivia.

Life is hard, its even harder when your stupid!!
    -John Wayne