Rio Grande (1950)

There are 171 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 164,193 times. The latest Post () was by MichaelHarrison.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Just a little update - Deep Discount most definitely does have this film now, and at a very reasonable price ($6.69, and free shipping!), along with several choices of posters -

http://search.deepdiscount.com/search?w=rio%20grande&

And speaking of posters, the one I have to share is very different from the one Keith shares in his introductory post to this thread.

Rio Grande-poster.jpg

The 1956 reissue poster differs only in the coloring -

Rio Grande- 1956 reissue poster.jpg

• Here is another Film Facts from Clive Woollands (see this post for more information) -

Howdy folks. I'm glad everybody likes all the trivia about John Wayne films lately; here is another film fact, this time from Rio Grande. I hope you like it.

Producers: Merian C. Cooper, John Ford, Screenplay: James Kevin
    McGuinnes, Cinematographer: Bert Glennon, Art Director: Frank
    Hotaling, Editor: Jack Murray, Distribution: Republic Pictures,
    Location: Moab, Utah, Cost of Production: $1.21 million, Date of
    production: 1950.

John Ford used the same sound effect for Rio Grande's rescue charge as he's previously used for the pony herd noise in She Wore a Yellow Ribbon.
    The original script called for a less badly injured Kirby and Kathleen to share a passionate kiss at the end. Ford changed it to the simpler and much more touching hand holding moment as Kirby's stretcher enters the camp.
    Though only 16, Claude Jarman Jr already had an Oscar under his belt. He was awarded a special Academy Award for his film debut in The Yearling (1946).
    After an argument on the set of Rio Grande, John Ford and regular actor Ben Johnson managed to maintain an amiable relationship until the shoot was over. But then Ford, notorious for bearing grudges, didn't hire Johnson for another movie for 14 years, when he finally relented and gave him a small part in Cheyenne Autumn.
    Karolyn Grimes, who plays the little girl Margaret Mary, also played James Stewart's daughter Zuzu in Christmas classic It's a Wonderful Life (1946).

• O'Hara was a spitfire of a woman, a real red head that could stand up to anything the Duke dished out. They had the chemistry, the electricity. There will never be another quiet like those two. :cry2:I miss that.

• Here is a japanese press sheet for Rio Grande in 1960.
    Wayne's face of this sheet is not seen on the film

H.sanada

Sometimes kids ask me what a pro is. I just point to the Duke.
    ~Steve McQueen~

• Some well cast bit parts in Rio Grande include corporal Bell's wife (a very vulnerable looking woman) who meets a horrible fate, the sour sheriff and his morose, silent obese deputy "The sergeant will pay for the drinks" and the (rare for Ford) close up of an exceptionally mean looking Apache letting off the arrow that downs Kirby York.

• Just realized that Duke made only 5 Westerns in the 1950's and Rio Grande is one of these.:frusty:

Certainly a movie which involves John Wayne & Maureen O'Hara & John Ford cannot be a bad one. Not to forget Ben Johnson and Victor McLaglen. The chemistry between Maureen and Duke is great and every scene with both is worth to watch. The first part of this movie introduces the characters, has more family drama, some funny scenes, some singing and a spectacular horse action scene. The second part is more suspenseful with a lot of great action scenes. The photography and scenery are breathtaking and beautiful as usually in a Ford Movie. Rio Grande would have been looked great in colour. It's nothing more to say that Rio Grande is a Good one!:pizza:

BTW one of my favourite scene is the last one: Maureen is smiling to the Duke !

"You're too good to give a chance to." John Wayne as Cole Thornton in El Dorado (1966)

Edited once, last by JohnChisum ().

• Rio Grande was just a After Thought with John Ford, as He was Just Trying to Get The Money From Hurbert Yates To Do The Quiet Man.
    But am I glad That They Did The Film and Got The Money For The Quiet Man !
    Chilibill
    :cowboy:

• I love Rio Grande. I cant believe it was considered the weakest of the cavalry trio. I love the music, the story, the casting with Maureen O Hara and Harry Carey Junior. Also he cuts a very romantic figure in this film

"Sorry don t get it done, Dude" (Rio Bravo)

Hooked on The Duke

• i love this movie.the cast is great,the location and the film has great humour.ben johnson and harry carey jr play well together.