Rio Grande (1950)

There are 171 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 164,178 times. The latest Post () was by MichaelHarrison.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• The HDNet Movies Channel will be showing Rio Grande in High Definition throughout April and into May. The first broadcast is April 10 at 6:30 p.m. EST.

Go here for the schedule:
    http://www.hdnetmovies.com/schedules/

Put "Rio Grande" into the search engine at this schedule page and you'll come up with the schedule for the film.

I'm really looking forward to seeing Rio Grande in HD!

• :wink_smile:

Shot in less than six weeks in Utah, the film is the last of the trilogy of cavalry John Ford. This film was the part-cons to make the movie "The Quiet Man".

For the first time Duke and Maureen rotate together. This is the beginning of a great friendship ...

a short video

and the Original trailer

Good reading!

Unconditional's Maureen O'Hara !
    French-English translation: poor !!!
    :blush:

Edited 2 times, last by Romy ().

• .................. picture from the film ..........

................................. See below ......................

• Rio Grande was one of two movies where John starred with Chill Wills. There were some actors that John Wayne worked with that he did not like. Chill wills was one of them. Does anybody know why? ( I read that in a book, just how true that is i do
    not know.)

• Rio Grande was one of two movies where John starred with Chill Wills. There were some actors that John Wayne worked with that he did not like. Chill wills was one of them. Does anybody know why? ( I read that in a book, just how true that is i do
    not know.)

Actually Bill, Chill Wills made Four movies with Duke:-

McLintock! (1963) .... Drago
    The Alamo (1960) .... Beekeeper
    Rio Grande (1950) .... Dr. Wilkins (regimental surgeon)
    Allegheny Uprising (1939) .... John M'Cammon

May I take this opportunity to point you to our
    Pals Of The Saddle- Forum
    Where many of your questions will be answered.
    Particularly here
    Pals Of The Saddle- Chill Wills

However Duke DID like Chill, but if you read our post in that thread,
    You will note Duke had every good reason not to speak to him again!!

It begins:-

Chill Wills, character actor, and liked by Duke, although it's a wonder,
    he ever spoke to him again, after totally losing Duke an Alamo
    Oscar, by his own personal comments!!

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

Edited 11 times, last by ethanedwards ().

• :wink_smile:

After the beautiful pictures of lasbugas, ...

............................. The pictures from the film .......................

Edited 3 times, last by Romy ().

• This is a picture of my guy Ben Johnson from Rio Grande, though this particular publicity still was not for Rio Grande, but for a 1977 documentary called That's Action!, which appears to have been about the action genre with a lot of clips from action movies. I guess that includes westerns. ;) A bit of history: That's Action! was directed by G. David Schine, who experienced some notoriety in the 1950s as the right-hand man to Roy Cohn, who was Sen. Joseph McCarthy's chief counsel on the Senate committee investigating Communism. (I am NOT making any political remarks, just relating some history). Schine went on to a very successful career as a businessman and film and music producer -- his producer credits include The French Connection.

• True, Ben is very comfortable on horseback ... He is very talented!

• Lasbugas posted this photo a while back but I thought I'd post it again as I did a new version of it from a vintage publicity still I got from ebay. I think this still sets a record for pin holes, at least for photos in my personal collection. :)

• Not only is it a studio setting, it looks posed for the photographer, rather than being a frame from the movie itself.

Here's another Rio Grande still I'm about to post to my Ben Johnson webpage. :)

• I found this post by searching your site ...

I do not want to disappoint you, but if the film was shot in standard his quality is not good in HD.

You really have to shoot in 16:9 for HD quality.

At least that's my opinion!

How was the outcome?

I do not want to disappoint you, but if the film was shot in standard his quality is not good in HD.

Romy, you are confusing movies shot in HD with HD transfers onto blu-ray and HD broadcasts on television.

Furthermore, the picture information available on 35mm film stock (Rio Grande was shot in 35mm) is much greater than whatever you're going to see on a blu-ray or a TV broadcast.

You really have to shoot in 16:9 for HD quality.

No you don't, you're confusing HD film processes again with HD videos. 35mm makes gorgeous blu-rays, although the final product depends on a solid HD master from the 35mm elements (photochemical and/or digital restoration may be required too) and then the decisions made in the lab when the technicians make the HD master for blu-ray. (There have been bad blu-rays, but because they're badly done transfers, not because the original film is in bad shape.) Just take a look at, say, the new blu-rays of The Red Shoes, Ben-Hur or Meet Me in St. Louis to see how great classic movies can look on Blu-ray (i.e., high definition).

How was the outcome?

Outcome of what?

As for the broadcast of Rio Grande in High Definition -- which is still on my DVR -- it looks like they took the existing video master and did an HD broadcast, which looks OK but there is a fair amount of artifacting and you can still see that they didn't do a true HD 1080p broadcast. Some day maybe we'll get lucky and the folks that own Rio Grande will make a new HD master and put it out on Blu-ray, but who knows. At least we have Warner Home Entertainment's Fort Apache to look forward to and I'm keeping my fingers crossed Warner does She Wore a Yellow Ribbon next.

Edited once, last by Paula ().