The Fighting Kentuckian (1949)

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? Registration is completely free and will enable the use of all site features including the ability to join in or create your own discussions.

There are 76 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by lasbugas.

• Re: The Fighting Kentuckian (1949)

I just like the song, my best friend bob and I used to walk around the halls in High school singing (very badly)only 600 miles more to go, more to go....
      "John Wayne is not just an actor and a very fine actor,John Wayne is the United States of America."

Watching Fighting Kentuckian it only good moments are the Oliver Hardy scenes.

The scenes with Vera Ralston are dire she cant act, you can hardly make out what she is saying and she is not to good looking either!! Honestly a tree would have had provided more response. She must have been the worst leading lady Duke was unlucky to paired with. The guy had patience!!

Mike

Watched this tonight, at first I wasn't sure about Oliver Hardy's part, he seemed too Laurel&Hardy at times but overall I like his part. I didn't think Vera was too bad, certainly don't have the impression she ruined the movie. The violin scene is a hoot

bit of a mixed one this, for me - vera ralston was too annoying for words and i found her accent really hard to follow. oliver hardy, i thought was fantastic in his role of willie payne and seem to work really well alongside john wayne, and i loved his bugle playing. the film was very watchable overall and built up to a good ending. not my favourite but definitely worth watching
      "Sorry don t get it done, Dude" (Rio Bravo)

Hooked on The Duke

chester7777 wrote:

I know we've posted this elsewhere (like here, but thought we'd link to it here, in the "rightful" thread.

Of course, to update, our seven year old is now ten.

But it is still a favorite line!

Chester :newyear:

they seemed an unlikely match but oliver hardy absolutely made the film for me. i have to admit i have never seen him without stan laurel and didnt know he could act like that but they really seemed to have a genuine liking for each other and he put all the fun into the film:teeth_smile:
      "Sorry don t get it done, Dude" (Rio Bravo)

Hooked on The Duke